Ahmacast with Frostbeard Theme Week edition!

Ahma

We talk about our experiences as first gen and answer @badcolethetitan's question.

THEME WEEK

https://anchor.fm/ahma-vhl/episodes/Ahmacast-with-Frostbeard-Theme-Week-e1s0ria

00:00 intro

01:00 Frostbeard's first gen experience

13:00 Ahma's first gen experience

20:00 Talking about first gen stuff

31:00 Answering Cole's question

members mentioned

09:00 @Banackock @Berocka @Hogan doctor funk, ray funk

13:00 @501

17:30 @Phil

18:30 @Will @Higgins @JardyB10

23:30 @Fire Fletcher

30:00 @FacePuncher

31:00 @badcolethetitan

33:00 @Beketov

33:30 @Spartan

• Commissioner

Tagging me once is plenty, I’m not beetlejuice. Timecodes help.

Also if you did say “as commish you MUST listen to this” then I probably wouldn’t; don’t you tell me what to do :P

But yes, don’t rush things. I took over 8 years before I did anything more than grading or updating.

For full clarity, my jobs are VHL GM, VHLM Commissioner, Updater and Financier. I used to have VHFL and WC Commissioner until I got M Commish and decided to get some things off my plate so that I wasn't overwhelmed with things.

Realistically though, I only feel like I have two jobs as a GM and Commish. Those are really the only two positions where I log in to the league and feel that there are some responsibilities I need to take care of. Updater is fairly more lowkey since I can just do it for an hour a week and clear quite a few, and financier is really just adjusting salaries after depreciation and then approving trades every so often.

In terms of your points about holding jobs, I think people should just recognize their own time commitment to the VHL and decide if they'd like a specific job or not. There's a weird aura around jobs, that people feel they need to have them. I enjoy being a GM to scratch my sports management itch, and being a commissioner gives me the ability to assist with back-end things like opening training camp, setting draft boards, a lot of admin things that take some work off the Blues plates. But I also joined during the COVID pandemic and was able to give a lot of time to the league when I started, which allowed me to become a M GM within a season of joining. I highly doubt I'd have gone at that pace if I joined the league today. I refuse to hold any jobs in any other league for similar reasons, I simply can't hit an activity level that I feel is sufficient. If people are able to earn 8, 10, 12 TPE a week just from doing tasks in 30 minutes a week, that should be more than fine. 

• Commissioner
27 minutes ago, Spartan said:

There's a weird aura around jobs, that people feel they need to have them.

This is why I will always be of the mindset that the VHL not have any kind of split cap. A job should just be a different way to earn, not allow people to earn above what any person without a job can earn. I shouldn't be able to automatically out earn someone else just because of the colour of my username, it's just a different way that I earn.