This Is the End

Tate

For my final VHL podcast, I'm going to do what I never do, and add timelines below:

0:00 - 3:52 : Purposely long and self-indulgent opening

3:53 - 5:16 : My typical intro involving a rambling conversation about something happening in my personal life

5:17 - 14:35 : @jRuutu's questions

7:37 - 9:37 : Challenge to @Beketov

14:36 - 37:18 : @Gustav 's questions

37:24 - 40:47 : @Thunder's questions

40:48 - 41:42 : Shoutout to @OrbitingDeath

41:43 - 48:47 : @Phil's questions

48:48 - 54:30 : @JardyB10's question

54:31 - 54:55 : Special Guest's closing comments

Thank you to all that listen, much love to you. 

❤️

Edited by Tate

I was actually going to try to tackle that VSN project you proposed, but got absolutely swamped by school and my other duties. Still something I really want to tackle but of course that comes second to real life.

Shame it didn't work out for you here, best of luck in your future endeavors!

I think it's true that being active on Discord/super visible in the community can influence how someone is taken when they choose to take steps to be visible. Last year, I made a survey on moderation, complete with a corresponding article. I like to think it was civilized, and I like to think it did accomplish something (in terms of something specific, a major complaint seemed to be communication within the ban thread beyond just "x member broke x rule" and I think that was addressed after the fact). I won't act like league moderation is perfect--and I don't think it is at all--but I'm proud of being able to lead a constructive discussion on the topic. I practically KNOW for a fact that, had I been in the league for two weeks, my survey wouldn't have had as many responses, my article wouldn't have had as many replies, and nothing would have changed because nothing would have been taken seriously. Had that been you, as an established but more controversial member, which way would it have gone if you said and did exactly the same things? I'm not 100% sure myself, but I think it's fair to say that with all else being equal, you might be looked at differently, and I would agree that that wouldn't be OK.

You've always brought up the idea of a retention crew, so I'm curious--how do you see the responsibilities of a retention crew differing from what the VHLM GMs are supposed to do in the first place? Already, a VHLM GM is supposed to be a mentor to their players, who cares about player development and...retention...and we run the VHLM with the idea in mind that a GM isn't doing their job right if they aren't doing the retention bit already. If there are ideas for retention that you think are missing on that level, I'd love to hear it--and if you're speaking in terms of acting outside of that level, how would you address the idea that players who have already progressed beyond the VHLM might not feel that they need to be actively helped?

If you're actually serious about leaving for good, I hope you know that I do wish you the best. You alluded to the idea that leaving to prove a point might not accomplish much--and I'd honestly have to agree there--but I hope you know that even though you've said that you think the league has a lot of people who aren't willing to listen (which I wouldn't necessarily disagree with), we still have a lot who are.

3 hours ago, Gustav said:

I think it's true that being active on Discord/super visible in the community can influence how someone is taken when they choose to take steps to be visible. Last year, I made a survey on moderation, complete with a corresponding article. I like to think it was civilized, and I like to think it did accomplish something (in terms of something specific, a major complaint seemed to be communication within the ban thread beyond just "x member broke x rule" and I think that was addressed after the fact). I won't act like league moderation is perfect--and I don't think it is at all--but I'm proud of being able to lead a constructive discussion on the topic. I practically KNOW for a fact that, had I been in the league for two weeks, my survey wouldn't have had as many responses, my article wouldn't have had as many replies, and nothing would have changed because nothing would have been taken seriously. Had that been you, as an established but more controversial member, which way would it have gone if you said and did exactly the same things? I'm not 100% sure myself, but I think it's fair to say that with all else being equal, you might be looked at differently, and I would agree that that wouldn't be OK.

I appreciate all that you said above, and also agree with what you’ve said, your civilized and thorough approach in acquiring feedback was well done and effective. 

We all bring unique skills to the table and I would say the impact you’ve had since coming here is immeasurable. You rock, Gustav. 

You've always brought up the idea of a retention crew, so I'm curious--how do you see the responsibilities of a retention crew differing from what the VHLM GMs are supposed to do in the first place?

I’ll elaborate more on this below but my focus on retention isn’t as much to do with the VHLM. I have always found my experience in the M to be positive, even as a veteran player.

My first time around in the M was extremely positive, and this is where I disagree with the common belief that retention lives and dies in the M. 

Already, a VHLM GM is supposed to be a mentor to their players, who cares about player development and...retention...and we run the VHLM with the idea in mind that a GM isn't doing their job right if they aren't doing the retention bit already.

I just want to give one last shout out to the GM’s of the M for what they do. I see two significant benefits to your first run in the M, and that is:

1. Understanding how to build a player and earn

2. Fun environment built on a draft year and usually an opportunity to meet some vets. 

Beyond that my retention focus is on what happens next. 

If there are ideas for retention that you think are missing on that level, I'd love to hear it--

One of the best ways to maintain retention is to place attention and praise on your active members. 

Some ideas on that would be to: 

1. Reward content creators with capped TPE boosts. For example an awesome PT could be featured on the portal and the member rewarded with 8 TPE instead of 6. It’s the little things and acknowledgements that give people a boost, and you’re not giving them extra TPE but you’re making their workload smaller while also praising them.

2. Look for opportunities to grow non content creators (and content creators). But maybe you have some quiet people and who don’t like to do media but do like to hang out in Discord. They can help Moderate or act as mentors to help aid new people as well. Acknowledge their work and literally feature them on the site/portal. I know Builders are a part of the HOF, but we’ve got Builders here like @a_Ferk @Garsh who may not create as much media but do so much to benefit the league.  

That is in no way to suggest that Ferk or Garsh are in any risk of leaving or in need of retention, but imo you need to keep giving love to those who stay and help. 

This is where I don’t fault Bek for having trouble in doing this, because he is but one man. Retention continues all the way through your tenure here, and there are steps along the way that if people just got a little more encouragement or respect then the end result might be different.

I have more ideas of course, it’s just about creating a more open, positive environment. No lines drawn in the sand.

and if you're speaking in terms of acting outside of that level, how would you address the idea that players who have already progressed beyond the VHLM might not feel that they need to be actively helped?

By no means should people be forced to participate in anything they don’t want to. It’s more of opening up a conversation and making sure we’re on the same page if someone crosses a line.

There should always be a bridge back. One that people can see. 

If you're actually serious about leaving for good, I hope you know that I do wish you the best. You alluded to the idea that leaving to prove a point might not accomplish much--and I'd honestly have to agree there--but I hope you know that even though you've said that you think the league has a lot of people who aren't willing to listen (which I wouldn't necessarily disagree with), we still have a lot who are.

I agree with you that there are those who listen, and such is why I appreciate you taking the time to talk with me. 

Take care, good sir

I sincerely hope you don't leave. I feel like I barely got to know the real @Tate. Vancouver is appreciative of you honouring your contract, I hope we still see you around in the LR from time to time. Maybe if Fuhr or the team finds success we'll be able to reel you back in ;). Wishing you the best even if you don't return, it's been a pleasure. :cheers: 

Thank you for the kind words, and for the battle you are fighting.

I agree completely, these leagues and forums should be places where all kinds of thoughts and creative "things" are shared. People should be encouraged to try different angles, tones, and perspectives just to try them out. People should be encouraged to listen and to see different angles, tones, and perspectives. There is a line to everything, of course, but the line is far too low nowadays. It should not be the job of the staff to moderate the league as heavily as they have. The staff is not the league. The job of the staff should be the opposite - they should encourage people to speak up and to create content.

Content is what makes this place. You want to see all kinds of ideas being posted. You want to see informative and fun content, you want to see nice content, you want to see content that makes you go: what on earth is wrong with you?

You are right, there is a lot of creative talent out there that never gets found because people are too afraid to try. A lot of ideas never get suggested and tried because nobody says them or nobody hears them. A lot of thoughts never surface, because people are too afraid to look at themselves and their beliefs from a different perspective. That is a shame.

Good luck to you, Tate. Hopefully, you will return to VHL and simulation leagues in the future! 🍻

Edited by jRuutu

1 hour ago, jRuutu said:

Thank you for the kind words, and for the battle you are fighting.

I agree completely, these leagues and forums should be places where all kinds of thoughts and creative "things" are shared. People should be encouraged to try different angles, tones, and perspectives just to try them out. People should be encouraged to listen and to see different angles, tones, and perspectives. There is a line to everything, of course, but the line is far too low nowadays. It should not be the job of the staff to moderate the league as heavily as they have. The staff is not the league. The job of the staff should be the opposite - they should encourage people to speak up and to create content.

Content is what makes this place. You want to see all kinds of ideas being posted. You want to see informative and fun content, you want to see nice content, you want to see content that makes you go: what on earth is wrong with you?

You are right, there is a lot of creative talent out there that never gets found because people are too afraid to try. A lot of ideas never get suggested and tried because nobody says them or nobody hears them. A lot of thoughts never surface, because people are too afraid to look at themselves and their beliefs from a different perspective. That is a shame.

Good luck to you, Tate. Hopefully, you will return to VHL and simulation leagues in the future! 🍻

I could not have said it better, and I do hope that the staff reads your response because it is spot on.  

Thank you again for being such a great teammate and friend, take care!

Pshhh, in no world am I an "A-quality" podcaster. I'm probably a C+, you're more like an A-!

I'd also love to hang out given the opportunity, and I'll gladly be your and Phil's third wheel! :cheers:

Very sweet ending, we'll miss you! Most of us, anyway 😛