Complaining about Depreciation (Simply because it messed with my perfectly laid plan, even though I knew changes would likely be coming down the road. It doesn't make it any less annoying. If it was a season sooner then I could've changed my plan ahhhhhh)

jacobcarson877

I talked recently about builds, and how I would be hoping to build off of the great Duncan Idaho. I hope that is still true, but it will truly come down to how much uncapped TPE I can pull together in the next couple weeks. My peak build comes in at 1260TPA, which I’m about 8-10 weeks from hitting. That is almost a whole season cycle so that leaves me heading into the next playoffs hitting my peak build. I’ll have a couple weeks to get some additional banked to hopefully survive some depreciation. The real struggle will be on money.

With 5 more contracts coming in, 5 more donations and 500k sitting in the bank, I’ll have 32.5M to my name for the rest of my career. Dropping 8M and 12M on depreciation fighters and 7M more on a Jagr takes 27 from that, leaving me with a very frustrating 5.5M left. Hopefully we can scrounge up 500k and I’ll get another uncapped TPE package.

With a 1260 peak build and those fighters I’ll need to a) get to 1260, and b) hold it there. Depreciation, with 2 5%s and 1 8% is 744TPE, taking off a Jagr (I’m assume order of operations means I don’t depreciate from the 8% and not the 12% although I may be wrong there) taking off another 55TPE leaves me with 689TPE to bank. Fun fact my first player, Jacob Carson only ever earned 687TPE! So from the 1104TPE I have at the moment of writing this, I have 156 TPE to earn to hit 1260, plus the 687 to keep it there which means in my career I need to earn 1947 TPE. Wow.

What makes it better, is that I don’t actually have 5 seasons to earn that, because I want to keep the build up instead of earning it back through my 8th season, so I actually have 4 seasons to earn that 843 TPE, without the help of any Uncapped TPE packages or career tasks now. I don’t think that’ll be possible, and that’s pretty annoying now actually, since I didn’t have the time to really adjust my plan, because well I need to start banking pretty damn soon. If only I recreated at the TDL and got that extra TPE (plus Christmas TPE) last year.

I’m also reaching the point where I’ll soon have to invest TPE into CK which I never really intended on doing, just to make any progress on the DF I really wanted. It is simply too expensive to gain it any other way, and it is a bit disappointing to be forced into either incredible inefficiency or a specific build style in order to accomplish my goals.

I know you might say “You don’t have to keep building, you could just stop now” and to that I say, but what if I want to push the limits of what I can do in the stats I care about? 91DF feels like a cop out at this point, when I know I can maybe actually be a 95DF kind of player.

Anyways, enough complaining. I meant for this to be a vhl.com article but here we are, and I guess that means pushing my free week back another week. One day I’ll take a break, although If I’m going to make 6 Job Pay anyways, it feels like a waste to use a free week when I could just get a couple points and be even. Oh yeah and I need to write PTs and such to max earn in other leagues anyways and I damn well can't write about basketball or football so I wouldn't be doing any less work, just losing my prime position in the approval queue as a job holder. Maybe I’ll petition to sell it next time I write something. Then maybe I could afford to reach my goals.

Edited by jacobcarson877

47 minutes ago, jacobcarson877 said:

I’m also reaching the point where I’ll soon have to invest TPE into CK which I never really intended on doing, just to make any progress on the DF I really wanted. It is simply too expensive to gain it any other way, and it is a bit disappointing to be forced into either incredible inefficiency or a specific build style in order to accomplish my goals.

add discipline too? would just negate any ck and leave u with just the df

Edited by Nykonax

45 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

ah yes just what i need... more TPA

you're objectively correct but also i likely won't have the spare TPE to do it :( just hoping the extra PIMs doesn't counteract the added DF

1 hour ago, Nykonax said:

I think Shindigs or some other big brain crunched numbers/ran tests and apparently you can only mitigate to a certain amount the penalty minutes created by high checking attributes.

8 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

I think Shindigs or some other big brain crunched numbers/ran tests and apparently you can only mitigate to a certain amount the penalty minutes created by high checking attributes.

yeah gustav wrote a big ol article about it a while back

Just now, Daniel Janser said:

Dunno, never tested how much it actually mitigates. All I know is it that only provides noticeable benefits to team winrate up to like 70, anymore than that and it didnt do much. so maybe it does cap out around 70 individually too for reducing hits/pims.

My goodness!  I have read some articles about depreciation and barely understand what is going on as I haven't had to deal with it yet but if I need to be creating graphics as I do just to fight depreciation eventually, I think that is when the drive ends and I start planning for my next player.  I spend too much time on my graphics to have what I earned be burned away.  That may change when the time comes but I'd rather be saving my graphic setups to be overly prepared for my next character then struggling to keep my old man player at his peak.

I applaud you for walking through the fire to see how far you can go!  A true all-star mentality!

11 minutes ago, Triller said:

I'd rather be saving my graphic setups to be overly prepared for my next character then struggling to keep my old man player at his peak.

I honestly think more people should think like this. There's a stigma against retiring even a season early, and people can really hold that against you for players moving forward. I think a player should be seen as any other project, which you pursue so long as it remains interesting to you. Obviously you should communicate with your GM about what they should expect, but so long as everyone knows what you're planning, there should be no negative will towards you!

Only reason I want to take it to 8 seasons is because I never really got to flex my building muscles with my first player, mostly because I didn't earn great, but also goalies don't really have a lot of build variation, even less than skaters. And hey Landon is off to a hot start to his career and maybe one day I'll take down some franchise records or maybe earn some awards, so may as well give it a shot while I'm here!

1 minute ago, jacobcarson877 said:

Obviously you should communicate with your GM about what they should expect, but so long as everyone knows what you're planning, there should be no negative will towards you!

Yes, communication will be key for sure.  I will have to decide what to do depending on what my next contract might be.  I don't know if anyone will sign my player after his rookie year for a rest of career contract so maybe after his first full VHL contract I can figure things out.

Going for records is definitely a good reason to keep at it especially if you've been optimizing for it from the start.  It will be interesting to watch!

37 minutes ago, jacobcarson877 said:

there should be no negative will towards you!

Question about those that might take an early retirement as a personal slight, do they prefer a player becomes a clicker once depreciation starts or do they always expect you to earn at the same rate as before?

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, jacobcarson877 said:

There's a stigma against retiring even a season early, and people can really hold that against you for players moving forward.

Back in the day you were actually rewarded for retiring early. Retiring after season 6 offered peak carryover and it decreased slightly in years 7 and 8. This was, by design, to help turnover draft classes rather than having everyone go the full 8 all the time.

Just now, Beketov said:

Back in the day you were actually rewarded for retiring early. Retiring after season 6 offered peak carryover and it decreased slightly in years 7 and 8. This was, by design, to help turnover draft classes rather than having everyone go the full 8 all the time.

I think there's definitely something to be said about a system like that. If I understand the SBA system at all, it seems you can go for quite a long time, and depreciation hits you harder and harder each time, so it becomes a tradeoff of whether you want to push for records and such, or get that carryover to pump out another great player. We all just kinda plan 8 seasons into our players here, taking the hit because that's jsut expectation.

It would be really cool to talk about letting players play a 10th season (considering they can technically already play 9 if done right, and take that tough depreciation again), maybe with a 15% bracket, where you truly couldn't keep up a peak build, but potentially solidify HOF, or push for 1 last cup or something before tapping out.

• Commissioner
27 minutes ago, jacobcarson877 said:

It would be really cool to talk about letting players play a 10th season (considering they can technically already play 9 if done right, and take that tough depreciation again), maybe with a 15% bracket, where you truly couldn't keep up a peak build, but potentially solidify HOF, or push for 1 last cup or something before tapping out.

@Quik pushed for this several times before we settled on the 9 season career the way it is. His pitch had it as a store purchase where you basically buy extra seasons and while the fighters we’re inherently blocked at any point (from what I recall) buying the extra seasons would cost so much that depreciation would nail you. I believe the original thought was 10 season limit.

I don’t recall what most of the backlash was outside of record book stuff (which I’ve always said either lock the record books and restart them or just don’t really choose to care) but I know several BOG members at the time were heavily against the idea. Personally I know I would have loved to have the option of more seasons to go for like more goals with Thompson or a cup with Lahtinen.

Now kind you nine of that really encourages people to retire earlier than 8 seasons. More or less it just means people choosing to play longer in order to chase one thing or another.