S86 Vancouver Wolves Awards

1824540704_VancouverLogo.thumb.png.26c0e167b013e33e37a2d4a057082130.png

Season 86 Vancouver Wolves Awards

With the regular season ending just before Christmas and the wildcards being played, the team assistant manager was unavailable to write, produce and direct such a huge award show without facing the wrath of his wife. Frank is a bit more understanding but either way we are here to recognize some of the players that seen the Vancouver Wolves make the play-offs once again this season and are currently one win away from the Continental Cup finals. Vancouver Wolves season was an interesting one that seen the team trade away Nico Pearce; who last year took home majority of the awards, which mean we should have a bunch of new award winners. Enough of the faff as I shouldn`t need to add to my word count too much so let get on with the first award.

Best defenseman:

Having not really checked the stats even as I start writing this as this has been a clear cut award for most of the season. This player lead the team in scoring with eighty-five points. Twenty goals and sixty-five assist and not mention also second best in plus/minus on the team. The best defenseman award for the second season in a row is awarded to:

Spoiler

Biggie Cheese @a_Ferk

It was a career season in majority of the categories for Cheese this season with new highs set in assist (65), points (85), Shots (299) and Shots blocked (162). It was a great season by the defend and one can only assume that we will see Cheese name a few more times during this awards show.

Rookie of the Year:

This season seen two rookies make the roster out of training camp with William Futch and Jimmy MacElory being these two rookies. After a long-awaited debut of this highly touted defensive defenseman and the trading away of the other rookie of the year candidate if should be to no one surprise that this season Rookie of the Year goes to:

Spoiler

Jimmy  MacElory @Xflexz

Jimmy season started on fire and at one point was amongst the leaders in the league for Rookie of the year in the league but putting up huge amount of points wasn`t really on the cards for this defensive based defenseman so even the fact that he put up 32pts; all assist was impressive. As most rookies do, Jimmy faded and struggled down the line but still finished second best in shot blocked with 134; a more reflective stat for a defensive defenseman.

Unsung Hero

This is always one of the hardest awards to award as it really comes down to who I think played a huge role on the team but not get the credit that they deserved through the season. Last year the team was carried by Brandt Fuhr but a year removed he has really gotten a lot of love from the team so is he really still our unsung hero? This season Unsung Hero is:

Spoiler

Alexandre Leduc @Lemorse7

Leduc has quietly lead the way with 11 game winning goals as he paced himself to second overall in scoring in the team this season with 35 goals, 44 assists for 79 points. It has been a solid season as he matched career highs in goals.

Most Energetic

This season has seen a drop off overall in locker room activity due sadly to the real life events surely effecting everyone ability to have a few minutes to chat since this has also been the case for myself over this busy holiday season but that hasn`t stopped a few members from at least from showing their faces on a regular basis and they add a lot of value to the team locker room. This season Most Energetic award goes to:

Spoiler

Donny Carter  @TheNeonShaman

Since being acquired in a trade that seen rookie William Futch and Wattson Power traded to Malmo Night Hawks, Donny has been one of the first member to offer encouragement in the lock room after a tough lose and also usually one of the first to comment after a huge win. This has been a nice surprise when picking up the veteran player.

Most Valuable player

Nico Pearce ran away with this award last year and this season I think it has been very clear since the trade deadline that Vancouver Wolves MVP has been:

Spoiler

Biggie Cheese @a_Ferk

Heavily consider for Most Energetic as well since they are always commenting in the locker room with Donny and has shown great leadership on and off the ice this season. Leads the team in shot blocked, assists, points and really just a gutsy effort all season.

Little Wolf Award (Most Hits)

This award was lead for a very long time and would have been awarded to Nico Pearce as he had 129 hits in 32 games for Vancouver this season before being traded to Moscow. Only one player managed to catch him in the end; which is a bit shocking but the Little Wolf Award goes to:

Spoiler

Biggie Cheese @a_Ferk

As mentioned, has lead the team in a big way this season and really took over leadership from Nico Pearce after the trade. Has shown ability to throw timely hits, score big goals along with saying the right thing at the right moment.

Sniper Award (Shooting percentage)

I have a feeling this award winner might surprise me since I haven`t looked at the final stats until the moment that I am writing this but I am guessing Biggie Cheese, Dogwood Maple or Henry Eagles will win this award this season so without much more faff the Sniper Award is awarded to:

Spoiler

Nico Pearce @Spartan

Yup, I knew this was going to surprise me as I knew Nico was a pure sniper but he had or seemed to have such an up and down season in the first half with Vancouver but he finished with 10.61% shot percentage 1.32% higher than second place Dogwood Maple.

QB Award (PP Assists)

This award is the player that runs the powerplay and set his team mates up for the easy goals and like the Sniper Award once again I haven`t checked the stats until this moment. Okay, I have seen the results already and I am guessing this might surprise a few as it did me as well when I first seen the winner but stop and think about it for a few seconds!! Yup, he always seemed to be on the score sheet; right? That player is none other than:

Spoiler

Sergey Preobrazhensky @Bulduray_1

A part of the Nico Pearce trade and has really taken off since becoming a Vancouver Wolves and on the back of signing a new contract to stay in for at least another season. Sergey has quietly put up impressive numbers with 26 goals, 32 assist for 58 points in 40 games since the trade with 17 assist coming on the power play pacing the Wolves.

Tooth Fairy (PM Award)

Common theme here as I haven`t looked at the stats most of the past few weeks so I am guessing this might surprise me a bit as well but if I had to guess based on the leadership shown this season; I would place my bet that Biggie Cheese is amongst the finalist of this award. This award goes to the player that is usually ready and willing to stick their neck on the line for their team mates so without ado the Tooth Fairy Award goes to:

Spoiler

Biggie Cheese @a_Ferk & Jimmy MacElory @Xflexz

Somehow this is very fitting that our top offensive defender and our top defensive defender have actually shared this award as both has played their roles effectively this season leading to the team’s overall success.

Always responsible (Plus/Minus)

I have a feeling that this award won`t surprise many as they lead in this area last season as well and has been a huge factor in the team overall success this season and has already won a few awards during this Banquet and it only fitting that they are award this award again this season. The winner is:

Spoiler

Biggie Cheese @a_Ferk

Plus 17 this season, down from the plus 28 of last season but that shows just how much more of a struggle Vancouver Wolves has faced this season. To lead the team in majority of the categories is very impressive while maintaining a defensive presence. Hopefully this continues through to play-offs.

Oops Sorry Eh!! (Least hits)

Now onto some of the fun awards and something team mates look forward to every season as this award isn`t always something that you should be proud of since it will hang with you like an odor of sticky socks. Okay, I am delaying once again since I actually haven`t looked at the stats again so let look together and award the Oops Sorry Eh!! to:

Spoiler

Obi Adesanya @atw2592

Okay, this one surprised me a bit has this player really accidentally ran into other players with only .44% of hits per game for a total of 17 hits in 38 games played for the Wolves this season. I wanted to bend the rules and give this to a full season stat so that we could still have Lady Leduc be a thing as they finished second this season with at least a hit per game.

It wasn`t me(Least PM)

Henry Eagles won this award last season as rookie with limited ice time so one would assume that he will once again be in the running for this great award but can he hold onto the crown of the It wasn`t me award and the award goes to:

Spoiler

Henry Eagles @Greg_Di

With a very lowly 17 PIM only five more then last season and beaten by B-Van D1; who had an impressive 22 PIM in half the games. Eagles is showing a nice side to his game while starting to really show his offensive side with 29 goals and 29 assist for 58 points. It shows you don`t need to be a dirty player to be effective in the league.

Shoot the lights out (Most shots)

Another award that I think will change hands this season after Nico Pearce was traded away so one might safely assume that Biggie Cheese will be a front runner? I don`t know once again as I haven`t looked at the stats so are we once again in for a surprise? The Shoot the Lights out is awarded to:

Spoiler

Sergey Preobrazhensky @Bulduray_1

Yup, another surprise winner but also shows why the Sergey was traded 1V1 for Nico Pearce as they were very similar players. Sergey took 520 shots in 70 games this season for 7.42 average per game compared to Nico Pearce 537 shots has season. Add in the difference of two games and it is a lot closer at 534 assumed total to the 537.

Work Horse Award (AMG)

The Work Horse Award is given to the player that plays the most minutes and has the biggest potential impact on the game than any other player, I am not going to guess this time at the winner as I am almost 100% sure we all know who most likely has won this award. The winner is:

Spoiler

Obi Adesanya @atw2592

At 31 minutes per night average clearly aided by playing in Riga Reign to start the season. This player finished with 2231 mins of ice time with who I thought was going to be the actual winner in second with 2158 mins in Biggie Cheese. So, one again we have a surprise winner as I didn`t consider the minutes played on other team when making my prediction.

Common Coach (Least played)

This season we have had a very balanced attack and depth through the line-up so this one might actually really surprise me as once again I haven`t checked the stats usually this tends to be a rookie or player down the depth charts a bit so without making my prediction and having be wrong again let’s just award this award. The winner is:

Spoiler

Svatopluk Puk @Otaznik

At 1923 mins of ice time for the season or an average of 26.72 mins per night; this actually really surprised me since Puk had a career breakout season with new highs in goals (26), assist (43) and points (68) while seeing limited ice time based on the stats. Very impressive season when considering his limited ice time.

Bruised and Battered Award (SB Award)

I think I have mentioned who has lead this category a few times since they have won a few awards already and I am starting to run out of great things to say about this player like I did last season with Nico Pearce winning a majority of the awards. So the Brusied & Battered Award goes to:

Spoiler

Biggie Cheese @a_Ferk

162 shot blocked this season is more then 28 more than next closest player in Jimmy MacElroy. As stated a few times Cheese has really lead on and off the ice this season and showed great leadership ability.

Three Star Award

Ugh!! I haven`t done any research into this award yet so give a hot minute and go get a drink from the back while I figure out the winner of this award. Okay, I am back from stat collecting for the Three Star Award and the eventual winner might not surprise anyone but I was happily surprised by who finished in second place as I hadn`t figured that they had that large of an impact on the season. Guess I wasn`t paying close enough attention. Either way, This season Three Star Award winner is:

Spoiler

Biggie Cheese @a_Ferk

Cheese was selected first star four times, second star eight times and third star eight times for a total of twenty selection up three selections from last season. They finished with 360pts only 10pts ahead of second place Sergey Preobrazhensky; who clearly had a large impact on the roster after arriving via trade with Moscow.

1ST Star

2nd Star

3rd star

Total

Biggie Cheese

Sergey Preobrazhensky

Alexandre Leduc

Brandt Fuhr

Henry Eagles

Svatopluk Puk

Dogwood Maple

Nico Pearce 

Pierre Emile Bouchard

Donny Carter

Wattson Power

William Futch

Jimmy MacElroy

Top Prospect Award:

The last award of the night will take a look at the Vancouver Wolves prospects and like always it gives a bit of concern for management when the team has seven players in the prospect pool but as of writing only two are active so congratulation to the two players as you have a 50% chance of being our Top Prospect this year. So, that being said let’s look at the two prospects:

Wann Kerr @VattghernCZ – a small center that currently playing in his first season in the VHLE with Rome and really should be his last season playing in Rome as he clearly looks ready to join the Wolves next season after scoring 37 goals, 47 assists for 84pts. It was a slight drop off from his VHLM numbers but also against much stiffer competition. He led all Rome is scoring this season.

Jens Lekman @Bobcat– a big defence first defender, who also played his first season in the VHLE with Rome as team mate to Kerr. He will try to make the decision tough on the Wolves management this off season as he is right on the cusps of becoming a VHL rookie next season so it will be interesting to see what the player and the management decide for this player. Lekman had a very impressive season consider he is a defensive defenseman with 21 goals, 34 assists for 55 points.   

Our Top Prospect this season is award to:

Spoiler

Wann Kerr  @VattghernCZ

The most ready prospect between the two active and also put up the most points between the two players. It was hard to pick between the two since they both seem ready to make the jump to the VHL next season full time with the Wolves but at this time Kerr is just a bit further along in his development path.

Finals thoughts: It was an up and down season with the team under performing at different points in the season but in the end making the play-off was the end goal. The team succeed in making the play-off and oh, boy has it been a ride since with Vancouver Wolves heading to the Continental Cup Finals against Prague Phantoms. In the end it has been a great season and hopefully the team can win the cup. Either way it has been a exciting season with breakout season for most of the players on the roster and the future continues to look bright for season to come in Vancouver!!

Congrats to all the players on making the finals and make it another great season.

2700 words good for Jan 8th, 15th, 22nd & 29th

Edited by Gaikoku-hito