S86 Brett Slobodzian Trophy Voting

Victor

S86 Brett Slobodzian Trophy Voting   

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think was individually the most outstanding player in the VHL in S86?

• F - Daniel Janser (CGY) - 54G, 66A, 120P, 39, 118PIM, 276HIT, 35SB
    • F - Baby Bob (CHI) - 54G, 63A, 117P, 40, 51PIM, 129HIT, 53SB
    • D - Bo Johansson (CHI) - 11G, 94A, 105P, 44, 80PIM, 137HIT, 152SB
    • G - Dusty Wilson (SEA) - 63GP, 30-29-3, 0.934SV%, 2.22GAA, 9SO, 2098SA
    • G - Cole Pearce (CHI) - 64GP, 43-18-3, 0.933SV%, 2.05GAA, 6SO, 1973SA

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

I mean, the only thing I see lacking in BoJo is the goal scoring. Only 11 goals (5 on power play) with a the 9th-highest powerplay presence leaguewide strikes me as too few, even considering the pass-first build.

I think this is a nuance that I find with a stat like blocked shots. The average goalie I'd say saves 10 out of 11. So every 11 SBs is worth a goal saved. You can argue that number should be like 15. If we said 15 SBs on average is worth like a goal saved. Bo saved 10 goals with 152 blocks. Is this like super known for a fact analysis? No. But it is something of note IMO.

1 hour ago, Pifferfish said:

I think this is a nuance that I find with a stat like blocked shots. The average goalie I'd say saves 10 out of 11. So every 11 SBs is worth a goal saved. You can argue that number should be like 15. If we said 15 SBs on average is worth like a goal saved. Bo saved 10 goals with 152 blocks. Is this like super known for a fact analysis? No. But it is something of note IMO.

Well shots blocked is also a double-edged sword as high numbers in that field means to me that you were dominated a lot during the season (i.e. done a poor or at least sub-par job on denying the puck/shot lanes)... I mean the record holder is creed with 400+ sb in one season in a team which got blasted out of the water that season... 

• Admin
9 hours ago, hedgehog337 said:

lmao in what world Dusty numbers are more OUTSTANDING than Pearce and how did he get these 17 votes

this aint it

better sv% and more shutouts

1 hour ago, animal74 said:

Why not someone like Boris Tsezar @comrade cat who had the same SV% as Pearce and faced over 300 more shots and had only one more loss than Dusty behind a less talented team?

More shots allowed is a product of the worse teams, similar to defencemen with higher SBs. Tsezar is on the Shaw ballot but it's between Wilson and Pearce.

• Commissioner
28 minutes ago, hedgehog337 said:

Worse record and GAA and only better sv by 0.01

still not more outstanding

S% and SO are far better indicators for a goalie’s performance than Wins and GAA though. The latter two matter sure but they say a lot more about a goalie’s team than the goalie themselves.

Or why not Max Torq @Steve who led all defensemen with 30 goals (7 more then the next dman), PPG (4th in the league), PPPts, 2nd among dmen in shots and led his team in scoring. Pretty outstanding, I'd say.

Always seems like one or two teams have multiple players to vote on and other deserving candidates are FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY. Curious what the league thinks about a more wide-spread MOP selection - maybe write-in for a long list, take the 6-8 most popular players and then vote on the winner/finalists?

1 hour ago, Beketov said:

S% and SO are far better indicators for a goalie’s performance than Wins and GAA though. The latter two matter sure but they say a lot more about a goalie’s team than the goalie themselves.

and just like that we're entering mvp discussion yet again 

idc if his team did him dirty. Seattle wasnt even that bum team so all I see is he still has worse gaa and record and I will count this if I wanna decide who to vote here. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, hedgehog337 said:

Worse record and GAA and only better sv by 0.01

still not more outstanding

I mean I didn't vote for either

I sense a phantom edit - @N0HBDY?

no, how do you not know about the filter lol?

Or why not Max Torq @Steve who led all defensemen with 30 goals (7 more then the next dman), PPG (4th in the league), PPPts, 2nd among dmen in shots and led his team in scoring. Pretty outstanding, I'd say.

Always seems like one or two teams have multiple players to vote on and other deserving candidates are FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY. Curious what the league thinks about a more wide-spread MOP selection - maybe write-in for a long list, take the 6-8 most popular players and then vote on the winner/finalists?

Sounds like you just want more Malmo players on the ballot :P

This isn't the all star game, it's a vote for the 1 most outstanding player in the league. There is no need to bloat the ballot with the 2nd, 3rd, etc, best player in each position, if they're not clear cut the best in their position, they're not gonna be winning the Slobo. When the ballot is posted, BOG discussions for the awards have taken place so I know who's gonna win MVP, top goalie, top dman etc (or who the top 2 players will be if it's a close call). If they're not on the ballot, they're just not most outstanding. Maybe 5th or 6th most outstanding which is still pretty damn good but not 1st. The more players who have no real chance of winning, the more potential for a popularity contest or voting for your teammates.

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, animal74 said:

Curious what the league thinks about a more wide-spread MOP selection - maybe write-in for a long list, take the 6-8 most popular players and then vote on the winner/finalists?

Pretty much any time we’ve had something with write ins it becomes much less of valid options and much more of a popularity contest which the Slobo has already suffered as a bit for awhile.

As for having more on the ballot, we used to if you recall. I know when I used to do it the ballot was usually 10+ people. We kinda noticed though that it really was 2-3 battling it out, another 3-4 kinda getting a few votes but not really competing and the rest just getting 0 so it kinda became “why bother making such a huge list when we know who’s gonna get the votes”