Rookie Experience - Skor McFleury

Alex

The second overall pick in the season 87 VHL draft, Skor McFleury has set his eyes on big things. Going into the draft McFleury had his eyes set on being a top 3 pick, on Sunday that dream came true. With that being said McFleury has a desire to prove Toronto wrong and make the organization pay for passing up on him.

After dominating the VHLE last season, where he finished 2nd in points by a defenseman and should have a decent chance at taking home top defensemen honours in the coming days, he has proven himself to be ready for the next step. With Cologne McFleury posted 16 goals and 58 assists for a total of 74 points, notably McFleury also recorded 125 hits and 142 SB, a clear sign that he does not shy away from the physical side of the game. Throughout the offseason, McFleury has been focusing on developing the defensive side of his game as he’ll be tasked with keeping some of the top 2nd line players in the VHL at bay. Additionally, McFleury plans to improve the physical side of his game so that he can take the body more often to really cut down on opponent’s scoring chances.

With the Riga Reign McFleury is expected to slot in on the 2nd defensive pair. While McFleury would like to say that they have their eyes set on winning the rookie of the year award, they are also very realistic and understand how unlikely it is for a defenseman to win, especially given how tough the league is as a whole right now. The major goal for McFleury this season is team focused with the hope that Riga can return to the playoffs in a big way! In terms of individual stats, his goal is quite simple, to have more points than that of his mentor Alex Johnston did, this means McFleury will be pleased with a staggering 18 points.

While the playoffs are probably a far reach for Riga this season, McFleury is hopeful that they can do it with a little bit of luck. McFleury has stated that he is in it for the long haul with the Riga Reign and looks forward to spending his entire career with the team. When asked about his plans McFleury had this to say: “My goal is simple in Riga, first and foremost, I want to help bring a cup back to Riga, we have a incredible young core and will be one of the most improved teams every season for the foreseeable future. Secondly, I want to leave my mark in Riga and retire as one of the greatest players in team history.”