Rookie Experience - Wann Kerr

VattghernCZ

Not counting the three games at the end of S85 and a playoff run with the Lynx, every season Wann Kerr has played so far has been a rookie season on any given level. The same goes for me as a member, being first gen. But I've talked about this side in my theme week MS this season, let's focus more on the player here.

VHLM experience - S85 Las Vegas Aces

Strictly speaking, Kerr's career has started with Ottawa Lynx after they claimed him as a newcomer. But the true start of his career was the dispersal draft, where he went 33rd overall to back-to-back champions Las Vegas Aces. He was drafted as a black horse, no one exactly knew what to expect of him, but he's a prime example of how a player can absolutely explode when working with the right GM. Kerr eventually became one of the top Aces' forwards and was regularly centering their second line. Eventually the Aces went to lose in the final series. Seeing such a success - both as a team and as a player - early in his career, his VHLM experience set Wann Kerr on fire. He wanted to experience this high again. Getting to the finals with his Junior Showcase Tournament team only made this desire stronger.

VHLE experience - S86 Rome Gladiators

Kerr's Rome experience was a bit different to his Aces tenure. Nearing the end of S85, Kerr had been contemplating staying in the M for one more season as a TPE capped player to try being The Guy on offense, and jump straight to VHL after that. Ultimately, he decided against that, which turned out to be a great idea. Because, foreseen by no one, he started the season by a 6-game point streak and quickly became The Guy. It was a character building experience for Kerr - either he could get cocky and claim the team wouldn't get as far as they did without him, or embrace his inner on-ice leader (displayed by the A on his chest) and team player, and be thankful to be put in the position to succeed. Judging by how he's been speaking at press availability and on his social media, the latter was the case. All in all, this season was as succesfull for him as the previous one - the Gladiators lost in finals. But this time, Kerr was the team leader in goals and points both in regular season and playoffs. What a way to end his development leagues career.

And just to add to that, Kerr helped Team Europe to win their second straight gold medal.

VHL expectations for rookie season

Now that's a tough one. I was penciled as the second line left wing on the Vancouver Wolves squad, playing opposite of the Wolves' elite scorer Alexandre Leduc. But that was before the huge trade that saw Leduc leaving the team. The lines will surely be shuffled before the first puck drop. Kerr should start the season as a 500-ish TPE forward playing on the wing, despite being natural center. The Wolves have great forward depth, on one hand it will give Kerr less ice time, on the other hand it could give him more favorable matchups. I don't particularly aspire to win the Stolzschweiger Trophy, but I would like to see Kerr scoring 20 goals and being a defensive asset. Twenty goals is a high ask, but so far, my expectations have been too low. Now let's go for it.

Go Wolves Go!