S87 VHLM Preseason Rankings

Grape

With the draft being complete and free agency kicking off, it is time once again for my usual preseason rankings. This season was particularly difficult due to each team being extremely mixed and jumbled up in terms of balance. Teams with a good forward core may be lacking in defense, or goaltending, and that goes in every such way as well; however, I tried my damndest to assemble at least a competent ranking. I do apologize to anyone who actually likes reading these (probably only like 5 people max, but hats off to you guys), as I was unable to push out the end of season rankings, despite having it like half-done for multiple weeks. I’ll do my best not to miss out on that again, as I am a fan of that extra 2 TPE. Please note that these rankings are done with all inactives removed from each team. Also let it be known that players on the edge of inactivity were still included, as this is done as if the season was starting today, and I should not predict whether or not a player goes inactive.

10. Las Vegas Aces
Aces_Bar.png.16aeb3892ce260a1b4e3959765691e6f.png

Forward Ranking: 10th (Avg TPA: 59.2)

Defensemen Ranking: 8th (Avg TPA: 79)

Goaltender Ranking: T-10th (No Goalie)

Finishing last in the previous season, this team lines up in last place coming into this season as well. I will say, they had a very solid draft. The picks made were moreoreless setting up the team for next season, not this one, as they went with mostly some lower TPE players that should be playing in the M for a couple seasons. Overall, expect this team to be at the bottom of the league for a good bit, prioritizing player growth over being competitive.

9. Philadelphia Reapers
PHI_bar.png.5c2209a56ea515cdc3806625facaa943.png

Forward Ranking: 3rd (Avg TPA: 155.5)

Defensemen Ranking: 6th (Avg TPA: 80.5)

Goaltender Ranking: T-10th (No Goalie)

The Reapers did not have a very good draft, which is understandable, since they lacked a good amount of early picks in a relatively weak draft. The main thing that is going to hurt them is the lack of a goalie. This is a problem Vegas faced last season, where, despite having an okay squad, the lack of a “real” goaltender basically killed their season. Unless that problem is resolved, they are going to struggle throughout this season.

8. Saskatoon Wild
SSK_bar.png.8a27e5726ace7dc0714e2982266ba6a2.png

Forward Ranking: 8th (Avg TPA: 90.67)

Defensemen Ranking: 10th (Avg TPA: 57)

Goaltender Ranking: T-1st (200 TPA)

While goaltending is a major factor in a team’s success, you still actually, y’know, need a team. Even with the team sporting a max TPA goaltender, they only have 2 active forwards on the roster (since I’ve last checked), hurting them massively. The defensemen they have rostered also are not very high TPEwise. Unless some attributions are made, this team is going to struggle due to bots eating up ice-time over players.

7. Halifax 21st
HFX_bar.png.21369e7bde330dfc96ba0942a500ad49.png

Forward Ranking: 9th (Avg TPA: 96.4)

Defensemen Ranking: 4th (Avg TPA: 133.33)

Goaltender Ranking: 7th (52 TPA)

Halifax is a bit of a mixed bag. Their defense looks pretty solid, picking up a couple high end defensemen in the draft, but their forward core and goaltending could definitely use some work. While they should get a bit better as the season progresses, I don’t feel that their forwards or goaltender will get to a competitive enough level, and this team is likely to be a seller, maximizing draft picks to make them a more legitimate contender in season 88.

6. Miami Marauders
MIA_pDub693.png.ce62dffa7f3ae6db71e7141ed66590b0.png

Forward Ranking: 6th (Avg TPA: 134)

Defensemen Ranking: 9th (Avg TPA: 75.33)

An okay draft has given this team the pieces to be an okay squad going into the season. Their early season struggles due to lower TPA defensemen and forwards should be buoyed somewhat by their max TPA goaltender. If all goes right, they should jump above a couple teams; however, that is heavily reliant on their players staying active and continuing to claim. Are they a legitimate contender right now? Definitely not. Will they be later in the season? Still, probably not. But, nonetheless, they’ll likely be better.

5. San Diego Marlins
SD_TeamBar_QrXOO7G.png.36e2277b9b8784837676fd82b90aeed4.png

Forward Ranking: 7th (Avg TPA: 124)

Defensemen Ranking: 1st (Avg TPA: 151.8)

Goaltender Ranking: 8th (43 TPA)

First off, congrats to San Diego for their championship run. They put together a great squad, ranking 1st in both forwards and defensemen last season, and now come into this season, noticeably weaker, but should still be competitive. They’re coming into this season with an already very strong defensive group and their forwards, while low TPE, are plentiful and should get better over the course of the season. The biggest concern of this team is their goaltender. While I would have removed them due to being an inactive, the GM is confident that they can get Fonzi to actually have an active player for once. I guess we'll just have to wait and see

4. Mississauga Hounds
Miss_TeamBar_u9NDfdA.png.46c777ef1046f6cadd62bd8c83869143.png

Forward Ranking: 1st (Avg TPA: 150.8)

Defensemen Ranking: 5th (Avg TPA: 92.5)

Goaltender Ranking: 6th (96 TPA)

Mississauga is coming into the start of the season with the top ranked forward core in the league, with practically all their forwards being in the mid to high 100 TPA area. Their weakness comes in on the defensive side. The team is only rostering a single defenseman, which is going to lead to some struggles, especially with a lower end goaltender stopping the pucks. Perhaps a trade between this team and Halifax may occur sometime during the season to bring in a defenseman to boot out the bot from the roster, but that’s just speculation. While they should be an okay team at the start, they will be in trouble if they don’t make some additions on the blueline.

3. Mexico City Kings
MC_Bar.png.015451c501229a809f58f854f4df89c2.png

Forward Ranking: 4th (Avg TPA: 141.8)

Defensemen Ranking: 7th (Avg TPA: 70)

Goaltender Ranking: T-4th (137 TPA)

Mexico City is actually a team that I’m predicting will drop down the rankings as the season progresses. They did go out and acquire a good defenseman and some complementary pieces for the forward core during the draft; however, it is likely that their goaltender does go inactive (still included in the rankings because, hey, maybe they’ll change their mind). If they are forced to downgrade on their goaltender and not make any additions to help out their singular defenseman, this team is gonna struggle to keep pucks out of the net. Goals for likely won’t be a problem, but goals against probably will be.

2. Ottawa Lynx
Ottawa_Bar.png.36d1463a9f72f89b6a1226485f2241fb.png

Forward Ranking: 5th (Avg TPA: 142.6)

Defensemen Ranking: 3rd (Avg TPA: 134.67)

This team is gearing up to make another push after coming up short in the finals against San Diego. Both the forward and defenseman groups are alright, but will likely need a bit of help if they want to make a major push. They’ll likely get a lot of help from their goaltender, and a little bit of growth from their team should keep them at least in the conversation. This team should be solid throughout the season. 

1. Houston Bulls
HOU_bar.png.68ba741b85342064594626f68d672052.png

Forward Ranking: 2nd (Avg TPA: 143.17)

Defensemen Ranking: 2nd (Avg TPA: 161)

Goaltender Ranking: T-4th (137 TPA)

This team is looking like it will be an absolute unit this season. All players above 100 TPA with most well into 100. So long as growth continues, they should turn out to be the best team this season. Of course, that’s always the big question for the M: Are players going to stay active? There’s always a few that fizzle out, even high TPA ones, but I’m getting into the realm of speculation, which contributes nothing. All in all, this is the team to beat coming into this season.

Conclusion

And there you have it, my objectively correct preseason rankings. It feels weird since I could see any team outside of Vegas and Houston fitting in literally anywhere else. Every team is so jumbled up, missing like one or two pieces, or are just banking for some growth. It was really confusing placing them all into places that felt right, and even then, some teams I’m kinda questioning on where I placed them. I actually moved a few around as I was writing this because I took a look at some teams and was like “nah that team should be better” or “the numbers don’t really capture the whole picture.” This is probably the first time since being in the VHL that I can say I have no idea how this season will turn out. I guess a somewhat weak draft class will do that to ya. There’s a ton of lower TPA guys in the league right now, most of which are purely welfare or welfare+ players, which should mean that, on top of new recruits and recreates for the S88 draft, next season should be much more competitive; but, that’s not the focus right now. Let’s get ready and excited for season 87!

(1523 words)

Edited by Grape

Hoping to move up the list as the season moves along!

Had to take a bet on a few players being able to grow into top players, but we should have a nice top-6 forward group at least by the end of the season.

Tough draft for goaltending (again) and having moved on from the 1st overall pick in order to secure the cup run we had, it does mean I'll have to blackmail @fonziGG to update so we can keep up with the pack!

Overall looks like it's gonna be a great VHLM season though I'm quite excited to see how it all plays out!

I'd put Mississauga lower. They likely will struggle a lot with the goalie shortage. The fish could be in top 3 imo Fonzi like will be active or a trade halfway through the could solve that issue immediately. Main teams under the top 3 that could be contenders if things go their way are Halifax, Miami, and Saskatoon. 

Miami would immediately be a contender with the signing of free agent Juan Ceson @dylanjj37

Great job!  It is awesome to imagine such a close season ahead!  All games count when everyone is so competitive.  Hopefully we don't get too many drop outs and I can ride with AJ and Houston to a Founders Cup win!  Everyone is on pins and needles waiting to see if their players stick around.  Being an AGM is nerve wracking and I've only been one for a couple weeks! Don't know how you GMs do it!

Our goalie situation is also pretty sketchy and just like Philly, if it isn't resolved, we will see ourselves having a rough time. I definitely wouldn't rank us among the best but with waiver pickups I am hoping to yield some better results. 

LVA is also fighting to sign free agent Juan Ceson @dylanjj37 in order to further solidify our blue line. 

Now that my goalie went IA and I’m using a free goalie, I think Ottawa takes first on the list. A good goalie in the M is so crucial, can win you series like how Bezos took Halifax to the cup finals in S84.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2023 at 6:01 PM, nurx said:

I love looking back at pre-season rankings after a while because no matter who does them they always don't look great. There is always one team that way overperforms.

The Rothschilds are paying STHS to make my rankings look bad 🥸