VSN Presents: S87 VHL Preview

nurx

Another season is upon us and the number one question is, “How will each team square up going into this upcoming season?” There is no way to know for sure, but we sure can try to predict how the season will go. I am going to be going through each team and giving them a score out of 110 these points will be broken down with a possible 45 points going to offense, 45 to defense, and 20 to the goaltenders. Without any further delay let’s get right into rating the teams and previewing the future season.

:cal: Calgary Wranglers 91/110 :cal:

Forwards: 42/45
Defensemen: 31/45
Goalies: 18/20

The Wranglers are going to have no problems when it comes to scoring. With the league scoring leader two consecutive seasons and a great support group following Janser @Daniel Janser I would expect Calgary to be one of the top scoring teams in the league. However, the defense is still young and developing which could lead to an excess amount of shots heading towards one of the best goalies in the league. This team has a really good opportunity to contend for the cup, but the biggest test is going to be their incredibly young defense core.

:chi: Chicago Phoenix 88/110 :chi:

Forwards: 35/45
Defensemen: 35/45

Chicago has an interesting situation growing currently as they have some of the better players created recently on their roster, but the support class surrounding them simply is either underdeveloped or too young to be making a huge impact yet. Losing Bob was a huge hit to this team, and they will likely suffer offensively as the season goes on. However, they are strengthened by some very good lower TPE builds which could lead to this team surprising us as the season goes on.

:dcd: D.C. Dragons 83/110 :dcd:

Forwards: 29/45
Defensemen: 36/45

The Dragons have a very solid defense core and a strong candidate for the Aidan Shaw coming into this season, but other than Vidot and Lamb it is hard to say this team will be scoring a lot of goals. I would be more than happy to be surprised, but this teams offense simply isn’t as advanced as the other top teams in the conference. It is likely they will make playoffs, but it is hard to say they are strong cup contenders.

:la: Los Angeles Stars 69/110 :la:

Forwards: 28/45
Defensemen: 24/45
Goalies: 17/20

The LA Stars have gone from having a really strong group of defensemen to having two bot D. This will likely hurt them, but the major problem is it is really hard to look at this offense and get excited about it. Art Vandelay @Gustav  is growing into a very strong goalie and likely will contend for the Shaw, but a legendary goaltender can only take you so far in this league.

:nya: New York Americans: 66/110 :nya:

Forwards: 26/45
Defensemen: 25/45
Goalies: 15/20

This team is highlighted by forwards who have underperformed their entire career so far and a defense core that could use another season of development. Their goalie likely will become a force in the league, but they need just a little more development as well. This team has the potential to be very good in two seasons, but this is not the season where they will be on top.

:sea: Seattle Bears 61/110 :sea:

Forwards: 21/45
Defensemen: 25/45

In short descriptions like this it is hard to give a team with so much potential such a low score. However, where do you see this team at this season because I certainly don’t seem them in the playoffs. It is important to say that this team not only has a strong offensive core growing, but a strong defense core and a strong goalie developing quickly. This team will be very good very soon.

:tor: Toronto Legion 46/110 :tor:

Forwards: 18/45
Defensemen: 19/45
Goalies: 9/20

There isn’t a part of this roster you look at and think they can carry the team to playoffs. Toronto is deep in the woods in competing for the 1st overall pick in a season where it may be hard to get excited if you are a Toronto fan. It is exciting to see there very promising forward Mac Atlas get a chance to come up and compete at the highest level in what looks like could be a very good career.

:que: Vancouver Wolves 101/110 :que:

Forwards: 41/45
Defensemen: 41/45

Goalies: 19/20

Wow… This roster not only has a chance to compete for the cup, but it would be a failure if they don’t win the cup. Their forwards are incredibly strong and should be capable of scoring an average more than three goals per game. The only question is if their defense will live up to the expectations that is being put up to them. Vancouver is going to be a very good team this season and I would expect them to be representing North America in the Continental Cup.

:dav: HC Davos Dynamo 82/110 :dav:

Forwards: 29/45
Defensemen: 33/45
Goalies 20/20

Unfortunately father time is not being very kind to Davos as they have failed to develop as much as you would hope they would have. Xavier Boobery, however, is still a top goalie in the league. If this team is going to compete come playoffs they are going to need Xavier Boobery @CowboyinAmerica to steal as many games as possible.

:hel: Helsinki Titans 51/110 :hel:

Forwards 18/45
Defensemen: 20/45
Goalies 13/20

Their future core is developing and beginning to break into the league, but the supporting cast either has builds that likely are making their players underperform or they haven’t developed enough to be a top line player which is the role they unfortunately have to play. Helsinki has a strong future but another contender for the 1st overall pick.

:ldn: London United 80/110 :ldn:

Forwards: 27/45
Defensemen:38/45

The highest TPE forward is a forward that has a career best 64 points in a season. This isn’t a great equation for success. However, this team is bolstered by a defensive core who could still be in the talks for best defense in the league. Jesse Teno @aimkin is still young so will develop throughout the season, but it is hard to say this team will be a contender.

:mal: Malmo Nighthawks 73/110 :mal:

Forwards: 34/45
Defense: 23/45

Goalies 16/20

This team will fight to make playoffs, but their defense is fundamentally broken being stuck on a defense style that hasn’t worked in the league since the S60s. There are parts of their core that look incredible, but it is hard to get excited for a team when their defense can be such a problem.

:mos: Moscow Menance 86/110 :mos:

Forwards: 36/45
Defensemen: 35/45

This team has some really good builds throughout, but their second line falls apart pretty quickly. There are several teams that are just a little deeper that could cause major problems for Moscow come playoffs. Murdock @Acydburn is still young and the goalie score is bound to only go up, but Moscow is not quite there right now.

:prg: Prague Phantoms 91/110 :prg:

Forwards: 38/45
Defensemen: 36/45

Goalies:17/20

Prague is likely the deepest team in the league. This team has a similar situation as their real-life equivalent the 2017 Vegas Golden Knights. Their 2nd line is better than every other 2nd line in the league, and the same is true with their 2nd defensive pairing. However, how will their first line mesh against the top players in the league. Only time will tell, but if a team will surprise us it will be the Prague Phantoms.

:rig: Riga Reign 73/110 :rig:

Forwards: 27/45
Defensemen: 31/45

Riga is slowly developing into a contender, but they just aren’t there yet. They likely will have a better season then they had last season, but playoffs are still a long shot for this team. I am excited to see how Sadie St-Louis @sadie performs in their first season in the bigs after some very successful seasons in the minors and in Europe.

:war: Warsaw Predators 96/110 :war:

Forwards: 44/45
Defensemen: 38/45
Goalies: 14/20

The final team is the team I am predicting will represent Europe in the Continental Cup Finals. They have such a strong forward core, but their weakness is on the other side of the rink. Their defensemen isn’t as strong as some of the other top teams, but I would expect the goals to come in droves with this forwards core. They are at risk of a goalie steals games against them since they likely will struggle defensively.

Just now, thadthrasher said:

What can I say, Chiang was the forward we all wanted to be in New York

maybe if everyone is underperforming nobody is underperforming 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jacobcarson877 said:

honestly? i stand by your take considering what we knew about STHS. Apparently D are useless so LAS broke our perception of good hockey strats.

MEX to a degree as well

On 2/21/2023 at 11:29 PM, jacobcarson877 said:

honestly? i stand by your take considering what we knew about STHS. Apparently D are useless so LAS broke our perception of good hockey strats.

also looking back it's disappointing but not surprising. in all reality, it is probably more economical to spend that money on better forwards who will affect your game more than a 4th defenseman. I mean honestly what advantage does having 4 defensemen have over 3 when you are playing on a sim engine where you can have players play for 30 minutes every game just fine? Wouldn't that money be better off upgrading a forward from a standard 2nd liner to a 1st liner and having a mismatch somewhere?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Banackock said:

However, where do you see this team at this season because I certainly don’t seem them in the playoffs.

Wildcard round at most