Maple's Million Tree Extravaganza

dogwoodmaple

This week, Dogwood Maple announced his new initiative to plant 1,000,000 trees this season in and around Vancouver.   

"I figured with two tree names, it only made sense that I tried to give back to the arbor community which gave me so much already," Maple explained.

There have been concerns in the Vancouver area about deforestation, drought, and other causes that have seen the local forests decrease by a sizable percentage in the last few years, which spurned Maple on to make this pledge.  He's joining with the Vancouver Arborists Association, his sponsor Waffle House, and the entire Vancouver Wolves organization to help put a stop to the current trend.

"I know I can't plant all million trees, there's just not enough time.  But I want to do as many as I can. This isn't about just delegating the work out to other people or anything like that. I truly enjoy working outdoors and have been a big gardener since I was a boy. So I will be out there every Sunday morning with my shovel and some trees knocking out as many as I possibly can.  We've got other players in the organization helping out, too.  I even think the owner has volunteered his time to plant some as well, so I have no doubt that we'll be able to get it done.  We're also making sure to consult with experts about where to plant and what types of trees to plant.  We know the ecosystem needs to stay healthy and balanced, so we've got some PhDs who will be directing us on that," Maple said.

This new push for tree growth has also spread around the VHL as well with many other teams and players undertaking similar pledges. 

"If we could all plant some trees that are appropriate for whatever environment they're in, that would be fantastic.  Nature is something we really need to be good shepherds of.  We can't take it for granted.  And I've even heard of some of the more drought stricken areas in the southwest United States planting some trees that actually can help reverse drought conditions.  It's all about doing it the right way with the right guidance going forward.  It honestly almost brings a tear to my eye seeing people across the league get excited about planting trees, of all things.  It truly shows you the power of humanity and what we can accomplish when we set our minds to something," Maple told a local news station.

But that's not all - Vancouver has agreed to pledge $1 million dollars to local environmental causes in this effort, which has been matched by the Wolves' GM, Dogwood Maple himself, and a few other players around the league.  

"I wanted to put my money where my mouth is.  If we get this million tree thing done, I'm throwing in a million dollars to help.  We've got the owner on board and some other folks as well.  It's just a great cause and something I'm incredibly passionate about.  The more folks get involved whether it's time, energy, resources, money, whatever it is, it's useful and needed.  No help is too small, that's for sure!"

528 words