The Late Start

McLean Hoover

McLean Hoover II, 22, enters the VHLM for his first season under the Mississauga Hounds. 

Hoover, didn’t know if he would ever touch a professional league after he found the sport of hockey at an older age. 

“It just wasn’t me, I never played any sports as a kid, I really was interested in the world and nature as child and it took over a large of my curiosity and interest. However I watched a game one evening during the Stanley cup playoffs and instantly was hooked as a fan.” 

Coming out of Belleville Ont. Hoover knew that playing hockey for a professional team wouldn’t be easy. He never had touched a pair skates till he was 8 years old. 

“ I grew up watching hockey on TV, but never really saw myself as an athlete. It wasn’t until I made that push that it became clear to me that I had to move to a bigger hockey scene if I was going to continue my player growth. It was difficult choosing friends and family for a sport I didn’t know if succeed in.” 

But with motivation and perhaps a gift for the sport, he worked his way through minor leagues and junior hockey to make it to his Debut for the Hounds. 

“ I remember watching hockey at an older age and telling myself I could do it, but so many people doubted me and I have to be honest there was moments where I doubted myself. But sometimes you have to tune out doubt and focus on what’s ahead whether I made it big or not I knew I loved the sport and that I had to give it my all.” 

Now he’s played 12 games and currently has 12 points early on into Season 87. Only time will tell if he has what it takes to see if Hoover reaches the VHL.

” It’s an incredible feeling, being here with my teammates, but I know I’m behind them when it comes to skill, I think I have the determination to keep my pace going but I know every time I improve our opponents also are working to improve. We have quite the record to start off the season so we always strive to be the best, but I don’t even think our GM had the expectation of us being serious contenders. Before I came into the league our team came last and over the off season we made some serious moves including drafting myself and it’s all paying off.” 

the Mississauga Hounds are 9-1-2 in 12 games played putting them first overall in the Eastern Conference and second overall in the league only behind the Mexico City Kings. 

the Hounds next game is against the Ottawa Lynx a matchup that should test the Hounds as a top contender.

As Hoovers journey to the VHL continues to develop and grow I’ll keep you updated and in the know.

with you during season 87 of the VHLM I’m MH.

500 words, PT for week ending February 5th.