Raimo Tuominen - Rookie Experience

SlapshotWrangler

CALGARY - It has been a crazy off-season. Coming off probably one of the most disappointing moments in my career; losing the VHLE final in game 7, to preparing for my first season in the bigs has been an experience. But this off-season has been one filled with anticipation and fun. I remember thinking when I first made the VHLM of making the VHL as a distant goal but it’s now here. From Houston, to Oslo, now returning to North America in Calgary, I’ve had nothing but excitement with each new change. The Wranglers organization has been great, though it is confusing knowing that there are two Wranglers teams in Calgary. Still, I don’t think either of us should or will give up the right to the name Wranglers.

If you haven’t figured out by the title of this post, I am Raimo Tuominen. It has been quite the adjustment playing North American hockey but I’m improving each day. I’m aiming to become a solid 2C behind my mentor Randy Bobandy. He’s teaching me how to be strong on the North American ice and in this new big league. Also helps that I have a familiar face in Catia. During training camp, I’ve been practicing keeping up with their pace. I’m aiming to work on my skating and puck handling a lot more but in terms of strength and withstanding the physicality, I feel as if I can keep up; I just need to develop a bit more physicality myself.

In terms of goals, I’m aiming for a 20 goal season. This organization has put a lot of trust in me and I am determined to live up to it. I think 20 goals is a reasonable start to me. If I can, I’ll go for 30 goals but right now, I’m focused on making sure I play a good 200 foot game. In Houston, I was developing mostly my offensive skill set but ever since I became a center and played for both Oslo and Rome, I’ve been working on making sure I am great defensively too. The trickiest part about being a complete player is that it’s a balancing act where I have to make sure I am improving a healthy amount in both areas. It’s challenging but it’s a challenge I’m willing to take. I’ve been watching old Daniel Janser clips as well as Leandro Goncalves ones so that I can learn how to be a successful center in the league. I would normally say I am a bit nervous but to be honest, it’s mostly excitement. I can’t wait for the season to start. Thankfully, I’ll be kept busy since I’m in the World Junior Championships. I’ve had the honour of joining Team Europe so I’m pushing hard to represent our continent proudly!