Official Movie Discussion

Devise

The Green Mile - 10/10

I'd never seen this before prior to tonight, but wow. Michael Clarke Duncan, may he rest in peace, was spectacular. Tom Hanks was great. I got quite emotional, and even though the movie was long as hell (3 hours), i'm glad I watched it. Would recommend to everyone.

Just finished a Philosophy of Film Course and watched some pretty good movies in it, Feel free to check them out if you haven't or re-watch them. I enjoy them all but I love movies that make you think.

The Truman Show (Jim Carrey is excellent)

Fight Club (My all time favourite movie. I'd tell you more but i've already said too much)

Donnie Darko (The only good film but a mediocre director)

Moon (Sam Rockwell is great)

Momento (Watch with your full attention, timeline is very messed, have to pay attention)

A Clockwork Orange (The most messed up movie here, not for the faint of heart)

Those were a few we watched in that class, all are excellent films imo.

If anyone knows of movies like these please tell me, I love films like those and am always looking for a new movie to watch.

...What uni do you go to @_@ 

Also Memento is awesome, and I think I'm going to take a philosophy of film course soon.

Edited by Munk

Just finished a Philosophy of Film Course and watched some pretty good movies in it, Feel free to check them out if you haven't or re-watch them. I enjoy them all but I love movies that make you think.

The Truman Show (Jim Carrey is excellent)

Fight Club (My all time favourite movie. I'd tell you more but i've already said too much)

Donnie Darko (The only good film but a mediocre director)

Moon (Sam Rockwell is great)

Momento (Watch with your full attention, timeline is very messed, have to pay attention)

A Clockwork Orange (The most messed up movie here, not for the faint of heart)

Those were a few we watched in that class, all are excellent films imo.

If anyone knows of movies like these please tell me, I love films like those and am always looking for a new movie to watch.

I want to take philosophy and film at some point, but right now, I'm set to take art of film. I'll let you guys know what we watch. :)

I watched Frozen last night.

MV5BMTQ1MjQwMTE5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjk3

DISNEY'S BEST ANIMATED MOVIE SINCE THE END OF THE DISNEY RENAISSANCE.

Seriously, this was great. Even though the protagonist is a princess, that doesn't detract from the overall emotions and message conveyed in this movie. Slightly cheesy at times, but that's to be expected of all Disney princess movies. Definitely would recommend if you're looking for a feel-good.

9/10

Edited by Squinty

hahaha - i also bootlegged Frozen. good stuff indeed. still yet to watch 12 years & American Hustle.

Saw Wolf of Wall Street yesterday. Jesus, Leo is perverted :P

Best scene by far: the lunch with Matthew McConnaughey.

Crawling on ludes was my fave scene, I lost it

Her is pretty fantastic.  Spike Jonze is a brilliant filmmaker and his vision was outstanding.  Joaquin Phoenix/ScarJo had better chemistry than most leads in a romance film.

The phone sex scene with Kristen Wiig had me in stitches. (although it's not a comedy at all, so caution if you go in expecting that)

Edited by sherifflobo

Taking a film class this semester as well as a philosophy course in which there will be some films shown.

Film class films:

Days of Heaven
Barton Fink (seen this one, liked it)
I Am Cuba
The Graduate (seen this one, liked it)
Wild at Heart
Bicycle Thieves
Dog Day Afternoon
Rear Window
Fog of War
Adaptation
Do the Right Thing (seen this one, hated it)
Citizen Kane
City of God

Philosophy class films:
Good Night, and Good Luck
The Matrix
Memento (seen this one, hated it)
Crimes and Misdemeanors
one more TBD

Recently watched a bunch of movies cause im jobless and only go to school for 15 hours a week SPOILERS BELOW

Wolf of Wall Street: Unreal movie. Leo is one of this generations best actors and he cements himself as such with this one. The scene on drugs, when he has to get to his car is hillarious and really gives you a sense of how badly his world is crumbiling. Jonah Hill is going from a comedic, fat actor to a legitimate actor and as someone who loves Superbad, I love it. I'd give the movie a 10/10 but there seemed to be something missing but I honestly have no idea what it was. Maybe someone to be sympathetic for idk. Either way, you will leave this theatre amazed at the movie and wanting to party really bad. 9.5/10

The Hobbit: The Deselaution of Smaug: Better than the first Hobbit movie for sure. A lot more action, the plot moved quicker and the acting was the same quality acting expected. There were a few nice touches to the LOTR series and it was nice to see Legolas even if he wasn't in the book. Still can't say I care about the character's as much as I did in LOTR, and Gandalf being gone for big parts of the movie hurt it, but good movie .9/10

Lone Survivor: It was good, but the comparisons to Saving Private Ryan I read before didn't do it any favors. I was let down by it quite a bit. Marky Mark is good in it, as is really everyone, but Idk maybe it's just because I find it hard to put myself in modern war senarios and especially one which I disagree with, but it was a solid movie regardless. I rcommend torrenting it since there is a screener out. 7/10

Bad Grandpa: Saw this in theatres back when it was in theatres. It's funny but don't expect much. It's not clever at all and really the only funny parts are when they pull pranks, the rest is pretty stupid tbh and I really couldn't care less about the actual plot. You will laugh but you'll also be bored for huge parts of it. I've never seen anything to do with Jackass until this so I probably missed a lot. 6.5/10.

• 4 weeks later...

I watched Frozen last night.

MV5BMTQ1MjQwMTE5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjk3

DISNEY'S BEST ANIMATED MOVIE SINCE THE END OF THE DISNEY RENAISSANCE.

Seriously, this was great. Even though the protagonist is a princess, that doesn't detract from the overall emotions and message conveyed in this movie. Slightly cheesy at times, but that's to be expected of all Disney princess movies. Definitely would recommend if you're looking for a feel-good.

9/10

^ This. I agreed to watch it with a friend while drunk texting her, I've now watched it four times in a week. SO GOOD. Best effort out of Disney in probably 20 years, the entire "Let It Go" sequence is spectacular.

Nebraska - 9/10

Not a movie I've heard a lot of people talking about, but definitely one that deserved its Oscar nomination IMO.  Love the cinematography and Bruce Dern was great.  Some might say it's too slow paced, but that kind of fits the whole story - it's not exactly supposed to be an action-packed movie.

Haven't seen 12 Years a Slave or Her and those are definitely at the top of my list to watch in the future.  Probably going to see 12 Years a Slave tomorrow pre-Oscars.

12 Years A Slave - 9.5/10

Incredible movie.  Great acting pretty much all around, it's a very sensitive subject matter that they covered but I think it was covered well.  Chiwetel Ejiofor was amazing.

I always tell myself I'm just gonna watch 12 Years a Slave before I go to sleep, but then I remember I don't want to be depressed before I go to bed. But tonight, I'll be watching. :)

The Summit 9/10 - I've always wanted to do it but there is no way in hell I would survive K2. If you grew up going to the iMax and seeing the movies about Everest and basically any mountain trek, you'd love this. There are some parts that hit close to home with the deaths and such but overall you get a good feel for what this mountain can be about. The picture quality was amazing and actually I learned some new words and such they use for different parts of the mountain.

The_Summit_poster.jpg

Edited by Kendrick

Working through a giant list of movies that my roomate has never watched, in most cases I have seen them although there is a few I haven't already.

The Exorcist (The Original) 

What a fucking film. Not scary really, as it isn't about jumping out at you or anything like that. But boy does this masterpiece ever hold up. Creepy is a okay word for it but it doesn't really do it justice. It is rather long, has tons of set up nearly the first hour or more of the movie none of the principal characters even know each other save for the family and it is all build up. Does a fantastic job at creating people and a world that feels like it exists, as such the supernatural stuff that occurs in the later stages and climax of the film are earned. This movie isn't out to scare you, it's out to unsettle you. Quite different. Great film though, anyone who hasn't seen it should. 

Groundhog Day

Seen it before, great classic Bill Murray comedy that deals with a concept we rarely see in movies nowadays. Simple, light hearted but with enough class to pull it off. 

The Indian in the Cupboard

Was on the list mostly because it was a movie he had never seen and I had fond memories of when I watched it when I was younger. Still holds up rather well to be honest. A little Hollywood cliche at times for sure, the music design in particular had me laughing to how cliche it was but for a rather simple movie it does a pretty solid job of still being compelling and interesting. 

Nebraska - 9/10

Not a movie I've heard a lot of people talking about, but definitely one that deserved its Oscar nomination IMO.  Love the cinematography and Bruce Dern was great.  Some might say it's too slow paced, but that kind of fits the whole story - it's not exactly supposed to be an action-packed movie.

Haven't seen 12 Years a Slave or Her and those are definitely at the top of my list to watch in the future.  Probably going to see 12 Years a Slave tomorrow pre-Oscars.

Would love to see Nebraska.

Side note: was pissed at how many oscars Gravity took home. Too many technical editing categories. Glad to see Bullock get FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY, as I thought her acting was below average. Cuaron did not deserve Best Director either.

Guest Svoboda_3

Watched Non-Stop on Saturday and thought it was pretty good. With Liam Neeson you can't go wrong.

8/10