F1 Discussion

Phil

2 hours ago, Cxsquared said:

I recently got into sim racing and I'm thinking about getting into F1 is there anything important I should know before the season starts?

I don't think there is anything that you absolutely need to know.  I just started watching last year and coming in I knew nothing about it (nor am I a car person in general) and I enjoyed it greatly.  I would def recommend Netflix's Drive To Survive if you want to dip your toe in a bit before the season starts.  The second season of that comes out this week I think.  The drama is overdone a bit but it was still really good imo.

The season after this one will have huge rule changes that will hopefully shake things up a bit.

Just now, JeffD said:

Nice! I have a full setup. Love the hobby and it has gotten me into even more Motorsports than I was before.

Oh snap! I only recently got into track racing but I'm really digging it. I've mostly played rally games. I've been thinking about trying iRacing. Do you recommend it? (I also got a wheel for Euro Truck Sim 2 but that's unrelated lol)

Just now, Cxsquared said:

Oh snap! I only recently got into track racing but I'm really digging it. I've mostly played rally games. I've been thinking about trying iRacing. Do you recommend it? (I also got a wheel for Euro Truck Sim 2 but that's unrelated lol)

Depends on what you want to spend haha

I spend quite a bit on iRacing and the online aspect is absolutely unmatched. It is an amazing game, and you can get by for a while on free or cheap content, but if you want to dive in it is going to cost you quite a bit. I view it as a hobby rather than a single video game so I have no problem spending my money on it. You can also get fairly cheap three month opening subscriptions so you can do that and try the free rookie series to get a feel for it. I did that and got absolutely hooked.

I've also been looking to get into Euro Truck Sim, I own it, but haven't played it too much.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 3:05 PM, JeffD said:

Depends on what you want to spend haha

I spend quite a bit on iRacing and the online aspect is absolutely unmatched. It is an amazing game, and you can get by for a while on free or cheap content, but if you want to dive in it is going to cost you quite a bit. I view it as a hobby rather than a single video game so I have no problem spending my money on it. You can also get fairly cheap three month opening subscriptions so you can do that and try the free rookie series to get a feel for it. I did that and got absolutely hooked.

I've also been looking to get into Euro Truck Sim, I own it, but haven't played it too much.

Whelp I picked a bad time to start watching F1 but I did finally pick up iRacing.

On 3/25/2020 at 4:13 PM, Cxsquared said:

What's everyone's take on the Virtual grand prix and the other sim races involving pros lately. I, for one, quite enjoyed it.

I didn't get a chance to watch much of the virtual grand prix but I'm all for it.  Sim racing seems so much more accepted than virtual other sports, most likely because of the realism you can bake into it.

Tomorrow (sat 3/28) the F1 youtube channel will replay another race, this time it's Bahrain 2014 known as Duel in the Desert.  Never seen but supposedly an epic battle between Hamilton and Rosberg.