Malmo Prospect Spotlight - S94 Draftees!

MALMO PROSPECT SPOTLIGHT - S94 DRAFTEES

image.png.47dc61ec65d0f5f0f78652d6ded2573d.png

After a disappointing ending to their season, the Malmo Nighthawks have moved on to the offseason in hopes to improve their team so that they can finally take the next step they have been looking for.  However, you also need to look towards your future as the current core is starting to approach the dreaded depreciation stage of their careers, and the Nighthawks have to make every pick count without 1st Round Picks over the next few drafts.  The Nighthawks ultimately used four picks in the recent Season 94 Dispersal Draft (19, 33, 41 and 44) with three of those players already signing contracts with their new franchise.  This prospect spotlight will shed some proverbial light on these players, as they approach their first off-season with a VHL team.

Eugene Ryanheart was selected with the 19th pick by Malmo and is a big bodied winger that trends as a strong offensive performer.  His skating is decent and he is a pretty equally proficient shooter and playmaker.  He has some work to do defensively and he has to still grow a bit into his frame, but I am expecting big things from the Canadian after he recorded 19 goals and 47 points in his first VHLM season with the Las Vegas Aces.  I assume he will find his way back to Las Vegas, but the VHLE should not be far away and I definitely think he may end up a very solid value steal for the Nighthawks, as they seek some prospects that can grow into being excellent offensive contributors.

Gabriel Finley was the team’s 33th pick and despite only playing 34 games for Miami last season, the mid-season pickup had a really solid campaign for them.  With 7 goals and 20 points to go along with 52 hits, Finley paced for 42 points and 110 hits over the course of the season.  The Canadian teenager is a great puckhandler and has shown both excellent vision and a solid shot, and projects as a potential second line winger in the future for Malmo if his development continues in the right direction.  Time will see if he has a higher ceiling, but this tall but lanky winger should be a prospect to keep an eye out for as he will enter the Season 94 VHLM Dispersal Draft this off-season.

Trevon Rider was selected with the 41st pick by Malmo, and while he has yet to officially sign a contract, the Nighthawks are hoping the Canadian winger (notice a trend?) will sign on relatively soon.  He was a teammate of Ryanheart’s this past season, tallying a pretty impressive 21 goals and 48 points over the 72 game season.  He is a bit of a jack-of-all-trades -player, but the ultimate concern is whether or not his development can stay on track in order for him to be more than a VHLM/VHLE talent.  Time will tell, but if he puts his mind to it, Rider could be seen suiting up in Malmo’s colours in the future.

Finally, Dakota Nachbaur was a 44th overall pick who split the season with both Mexico City and Saskatoon.  He is a decent skater and a bit of a jack-of-all-trades defender that has a bit of growing to do both physically and talent wise.  He did have a decent pre-VHLM draft campaign that saw the Canadian figure in on 26 goals and add 121 hits and 80 blocked shots.  While there is a lot of developing to do, and Nachbaur is already 27 years old, it isn’t completely unheard of to see an older talent find his way through the VHLM and make the long ride.  I like what I see with Nachbaur and ultimately I look forward to seeing where he lands in the VHLM Dispersal Draft.

Shoutout to @Steve for his incredible graphic used above.

Spotlight on: @jesse115 @burritohour @bjackson54 @Wiliestjester56