Malmo Prospect Spotlight - Three Sheets to the Wind

Posted (edited)

MALMO PROSPECT SPOTLIGHT - THREE SHEETS TO THE WIND

image.png.44f7b87d2a2d648d280febde1254a0f3.png

Now that the season has begun, and especially considering Malmo has so few prospects actually playing in either the VHLM or VHLE, I will be looking at all the active players each week in an attempt to follow their seasons from beginning to end.  The Nighthawks currently have three active prospects which include Eugene Ryanheart (19th Overall Pick in S94), Jorgen Lovstrom (7th Overall Pick in S93) and Gabriel Finley (33rd Overall Pick in S94).  I have chosen to leave off Olafur Gunnleifsson as while he is having a good start to his season with Rome of the VHLE (6-3-1, .914 SV%, 2.71 GAA), he is neither active or frankly anywhere to be found (seriously I don't even think the member still has an account anymore on the site).  

Eugene Ryanheart is where I will start and he may very well be having the biggest impact of all.  Coming off being selected in the second round of the VHL Draft, one might expect the power forward to have a solid season as he entered the VHLE for the first time.  With that being said, the forward who is coming off a respectable but not outstanding 47 point season in the VHLM, is tearing Europe apart over the first ten games of the season.  Ryanheart currently has 7 goals, 10 assists and 17 points over that stretch, putting him 4th in Points, tied for 4th in Goals and tied for 5th in Assists.  The Canadian currently finds himself on pace for 50 goals, 72 assists and 122 points, and while he is unlikely to keep this stretch up, one can't help but feel good about how easy the acclimation to the higher level of hockey has been.  While some will point to Vasteras and their dominant offense perhaps propelling Ryanheart up (he is third on their team in scoring and one of four players in the top-10 in points) it would be unfair to not also recognize his contribution to their offensive production as he absolutely lighting the opponents net up.  I am so excited to see this start for him and I can't wait to keep watching in hopes to see him continue to dominate.

Statistical Breakdown: 10 Games Played, 7 Goals, 10 Assists, 17 Points, +1, 16 Hits

Jorgen Lovstrom was a goalie that I looked at last week as likely the future successor to Ash Sparks and the bonafide number one of the Malmo Nighthawks.  After an incredible campaign last season, Lovstrom has had a decent but unspectacular start to the season as while the Iron Eagles are scoring a ton of goals (leading the league), they have also allowed over three goals per game.  Whether it has been the defensive play in front of him or Lovstrom's play himself, I do expect to see consistent improvement as the year goes in.  Even still, Jorgen has faced a lot of shots per game (43.4) and still boasts a solid .926 Save Percentage (2nd best in the VHLE) to go along with a 4-5-1 record and 3.20 GAA.  I expect as the season goes on, Vasteras will tighten up and Lovstrom will take that next step, but even still his future is bright and even while facing a lot of rubber, he seems mostly unphased overall.

Statistical Breakdown: 10 Games Played, 4-5-1, 3.20 GAA, .926 SV%, 0 SO

Finally, we will look at the only player of these three that is still playing in the VHLM.  Gabriel Finley was a bit of a sleeper pick for the Nighthawks, falling all the way to 33rd overall in the recent dispersal draft, mainly off the back of a decent 20 point season in a shortened 34 game campaign.  Finley is still finding his footing as a member of the Mexico City Kings but has shown consistent improvement and work ethic since being drafted to the team 8th overall in the recent VHLM Draft.  Finley has 2 goals and 4 points in his 8 games thus far, and has shown improvement in his two-way player since last season mainly off the back of his impressive puckmoving skills in his own end.  The Kings are a bit of a powerhouse (league-best 7 wins thus far) so there are a lot of players that will be demanding the puck, but I see Finley being a really solid complimentary piece with his high-end playmaking skills, solid physicality and improved two-way ability really aiding their top-6 as they look to make a run at the Founders Cup.  Finley is the type of player that could really see a glowup as the season goes on and I will certainly be keeping my eye out for it.

Statistical Breakdown: 8 Games Played, 2 Goals, 2 Assists, 4 Points, +0, 11 Hits

@Pifferfish @jesse115 @burritohour

Edited by Advantage

2 minutes ago, Advantage said:

MALMO PROSPECT SPOTLIGHT - THREE SHEETS TO THE WIND

image.png.44f7b87d2a2d648d280febde1254a0f3.png

Now that the season has begun, and especially considering Malmo has so few prospects actually playing in either the VHLM or VHLE, I will be looking at all the active players each week in an attempt to follow their seasons from beginning to end.  The Nighthawks currently have three active prospects which include Eugene Ryanheart (19th Overall Pick in S94), Jorgen Lovstrom (7th Overall Pick in S93) and Gabriel Finley (33rd Overall Pick in S94).  I have chosen to leave off Olafur Gunnleifsson as while he is having a good start to his season with Rome of the VHLE (6-3-1, .914 SV%, 2.71 GAA), he is neither active or frankly anywhere to be found (seriously I don't even think the member still has an account anymore on the site).  

Eugene Ryanheart is where I will start and he may very well be having the biggest impact of all.  Coming off being selected in the second round of the VHL Draft, one might expect the power forward to have a solid season as he entered the VHLE for the first time.  With that being said, the forward who is coming off a respectable but not outstanding 47 point season in the VHLM, is tearing Europe apart over the first ten games of the season.  Ryanheart currently has 7 goals, 10 assists and 17 points over that stretch, putting him 4th in Points, tied for 4th in Goals and tied for 5th in Assists.  The Canadian currently finds himself on pace for 50 goals, 72 assists and 122 points, and while he is unlikely to keep this stretch up, one can't help but feel good about how easy the acclimation to the higher level of hockey has been.  While some will point to Vasteras and their dominant offense perhaps propelling Ryanheart up (he is third on their team in scoring and one of four players in the top-10 in points) it would be unfair to not also recognize his contribution to their offensive production as he absolutely lighting the opponents net up.  I am so excited to see this start for him and I can't wait to keep watching in hopes to see him continue to dominate.

Statistical Breakdown: 10 Games Played, 7 Goals, 10 Assists, 17 Points, +1, 16 Hits

Jorgen Lovstrom was a goalie that I looked at last week as likely the future successor to Ash Sparks and the bonafide number one of the Malmo Nighthawks.  After an incredible campaign last season, Lovstrom has had a decent but unspectacular start to the season as while the Iron Eagles are scoring a ton of goals (leading the league), they have also allowed over three goals per game.  Whether it has been the defensive play in front of him or Lovstrom's play himself, I do expect to see consistent improvement as the year goes in.  Even still, Jorgen has faced a lot of shots per game (43.4) and still boasts a solid .926 Save Percentage (2nd best in the VHLE) to go along with a 4-5-1 record and 3.20 GAA.  I expect as the season goes on, Vasteras will tighten up and Lovstrom will take that next step, but even still his future is bright and even while facing a lot of rubber, he seems mostly unphased overall.

Statistical Breakdown: 10 Games Played, 4-5-1, 3.20 GAA, .926 SV%, 0 SO

Finally, we will look at the only player of these three that is still playing in the VHLM.  Gabriel Finley was a bit of a sleeper pick for the Nighthawks, falling all the way to 33rd overall in the recent dispersal draft, mainly off the back of a decent 20 point season in a shortened 34 game campaign.  Finley is still finding his footing as a member of the Mexico City Kings but has shown consistent improvement and work ethic since being drafted to the team 8th overall in the recent VHLM Draft.  Finley has 2 goals and 4 points in his 8 games thus far, and has shown improvement in his two-way player since last season mainly off the back of his impressive puckmoving skills in his own end.  The Kings are a bit of a powerhouse (league-best 7 wins thus far) so there are a lot of players that will be demanding the puck, but I see Finley being a really solid complimentary piece with his high-end playmaking skills, solid physicality and improved two-way ability really aiding their top-6 as they look to make a run at the Founders Cup.  Finley is the type of player that could really see a glowup as the season goes on and I will certainly be keeping my eye out for it.

Statistical Breakdown: 8 Games Played, 2 Goals, 2 Assists, 4 Points, +0, 11 Hits

@Pifferfish @jesse115 @burritohour

Iron Eagles defenders are literally made of paper mache... Can't block a shot for ya boy out here.