The C.G.Y. Janser Story, Part XXXVII: CGY the teacher

Daniel Janser

2l4QAJM.png

(graphic courtesy of Leandrofg)

Upon reporting to the Andermatt competence centre for alpine warfare for his yearly military service, Janser was asked to get to Colonel Regli's office stat. Being a good soldier Callum immediately knocked on his commander's door.

'Come in.'

'Captain Janser reporting for duty, sir.'

'At ease, Captain. Take a seat. As you know your unit has done its yearly exercise during winter already, during the avalanche period and helping out the civil elements of search and rescue.'

'Yes sir, I was aware of that. From what I heard my First Lieutenant Steiner did well in organizing the missions.'

'So he did. I am sure you remember that we render training in alpine warfare to other nation's armed forces.'

'I do indeed, sir.'

'Well, we have a group of US Army personnel, which were sent to us to get this sort of training and I thought this is a perfect assignement for you, being fluent in English and such.'

'Of course, sir. I just wish to mention that I am not known for my tact and I do not want to jeopardize international relations.'

'Humbug. Diplomacy, shmiplomacy. Don't be deliberately rude, but also be clear in what needs to be done. This is not a feel good experience. The mountains are unforgiving if you do not respect them, and I think it will set the right tone if the participants get a dose of reality at the start.'

'Well, fair enough. Who will be my assistant?'

'PFC Z'graggen.'

'Sarah Z'graggen?'

'Yes, the very same. Do you object?'

'Not at all, sir. I could not have asked for a better person for the job.'

'It is settled then. You find all the paperwork and lessons in the folder waiting in your office. Unless you have any other questions, you are dismissed.'

'No questions, sir. Have a good day.'

'And you, Captain.'

The following day, after breakfast, Janser goes to the class room assigned to his charges.

'Good morning, class. I am Captain Janser, your teacher for the next four weeks. This is PFC Z'graggen who will be responsible for most of the practical training. At ease and take your seats, please.'

'Lieutenant Myers, you have a question?'

'Yes, sir. If this PFC is so competent, how come, she did not get a higher rank?'

Callum put on his best fake smile: 'Myers, unlike the US Army, the Swiss Army is a conscript army. Which means we recruit from all able bodied Swiss men and tend to put them in branches where the can employ their expertise of their civil live. For example, most chefs will be drafted as cooks, most truckers will be drafted into the transport companies, construction workers will be drafted into combat engineer units and so on. And while the Swiss government can theoretically press the member of the Swiss armed forces into any rank and function they need, they are hesitant to do so, as pressed leaders are not necessarily the best leaders. With PFC Z'graggen it is different to start with, as she volunteered to be in the Army. She did not get officer's rank because she is incompetent. She did not want the officer's rank, because that meant more than double the service time. And she is self-employed so she would lose out on her income. How long do I know you, Sarah? Ten years?

'Eleven, Cal.'

'That's right. She is a mountain guide for tourists and natives alike and she has an impeccable reputation. She does also work pro bono for the Swiss mountain search and rescue, where she is basically indispensable. Last but certainly not least, she is born and raised in this area and knows the mountains we are training in like the back of her hand. We could not wish for a more competent teacher for navigating and surviving in mountaineous terrain. Sarah will salute me until her arms fall off if military protocol demands it. However, as soon as we cross the tree line in these mountains, I will follow every order of hers to the tee and as fast as I can. Unless it is a tactical decision, these are mine to make. Everything concerning the movement in the mountains and every safety issue it is her call. PFC Z'graggen is polite and courteous and will clad her orders under the disguise of requests and suggestions. Make no mistake, they are orders and they are not up for debate. The mountains do not reward discussions and haggle. If you feel that you struggle to take orders from a mere PFC or a woman for that matter, there is the door. Talk to the Colonel for a refund, as we will not take you on a tour where our very survival may depend on immediate obedience of Sarah's orders. Have I made myself clear?'

'Crystal, sir.'

'Let's start with our first lesson then.'

https://vhlforum.com/topic/149403-the-cgy-janser-story-part-xxxii-fighting-for-the-playoffs/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/149543-the-cgy-janser-story-part-xxxiii-wildcard-games-sail-ho/

CIA’s Long, Undoubtedly Wrong S95 VHL Mock Draft - Media Spots - Victory Hockey League (vhlforum.com)

https://vhlforum.com/topic/149784-the-cgy-janser-story-part-xxxiv-a-season-summary/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/150926-the-cgy-janser-story-part-xxxv-a-meet-up-with-family/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/151348-the-cgy-janser-story-part-xxxvi-a-post-season-review-and-outlook/