Fresh Start for Savage

Molholt

A.C. Savage will likely not be remembered for much during his VHL career. He'll hardly be considered a bust following his selection in the second round, regardless of how bad he turns out, just because of where he was selected. However, he has already made a bit of a splash by joining one of the smallest groups in the history of the VHL.

I'm no historian, but Savage is either the first and only, or at the very least would be one of the very few, players who hit free agency as an UFA, while being an active draftee. As of yesterday morning, Savage became an UFA along with fellow draftee Wolfgang Strauss. Strauss signed with Seattle, the team that failed to tender them contracts within the allotted window - leaving Savage as the only player still eligible. Two teams reached out to Savage immediately, with another making contact simply to let him know they couldn't offer (gee thanks). Savage himself inquired about the third team, Cologne, who he would end up signing with. We caught up with Savage to get his thoughts.

"What? Do I think this is a fresh start for me? I know I've been pretty open about considering early retirement, but you've gotta admit it is tough not to want to stick it to the team that couldn't even be bothered to offer me a contract. You know what though? I only did it because I thought it would be hilarious. I don't care where I play, and Seattle obviously doesn't either - but if they secretly did, they've gotta be at least a little irritated. That part makes me laugh. It's fun. Something I haven't had thus far, so I guess we will see how it goes in Cologne. Maybe it'll be fun again. I miss loving hockey."

Editor's note: Savage still intends to retire early, hence the decision to join a more competitive team for the time being.