2015-16 NFL Discussion

Fire Tortorella

As a Jets fan, I'm hoping they pick Mariota should he fall to 6, but more realistically I want one of the pass rushers (looking like Ray or Gregory right now) or Amari Cooper if he's on the board still.

I just hate how Cooper's proven by and far to be the better, more polished receiver than Kevin White and then one good combine later people are saying White's on the same level or better. Cooper's a much, much better route runner, athleticism only counts for so much.

I just hate how Cooper's proven by and far to be the better, more polished receiver than Kevin White and then one good combine later people are saying White's on the same level or better. Cooper's a much, much better route runner, athleticism only counts for so much.

It's the size and speed that gives him the boost over Cooper tbh

White is bigger, sure, but Cooper has outplayed him in every season of his college career despite playing in a pro style offense. Straight line speed's important for a Mike Wallace, but White's gonna be pressed much more often in the NFL and his route tree just isn't nearly as polished as Cooper's. I think both will end up being top receivers in the NFL, but I think Cooper will be better in the long term and he has 1,000 yard potential as a rookie because of his great route running.

Edited by Muffins

This. However they are two entirely different styled pass catchers. Cooper is a sure handed length guy much like Reggie Wayne was (not overly speedy compared to others), whereas White is more of a tall powerful receiver much like Calvin Johnson. The Calvin Johnson one is the flashier of the two and people notice those guys more. Whereas receivers like Cooper won't see the headlines for their 9 catches a game which are silent but deadly. Truth be told every one wants to see the "sexy" prospect that ends up pushing headlines, when just about every time he is the same guy who demands a huge contract eventually and you can't pay the rest of your team.

Cooper would be the perfect type of slot receiver basically. He could run the DeSean Jackson/Jeremy Maclin type of role in an offense like those two did with Chip. Kevin White is more of the big physical receiver that teams are starting to look for with receivers now. Cooper is the most polished route runner in this draft and I am not knocking him, he just seems like he could do the most damage as an x-receiver compared to White handling the main receiver type. White has the size and speed advantage plus the strength to handle going up and fighting for a jump ball. Cooper can still go out and get the ball better than most. But in comparison, they are totally different players and they will both have success.

This. However they are two entirely different styled pass catchers. Cooper is a sure handed length guy much like Reggie Wayne was (not overly speedy compared to others), whereas White is more of a tall powerful receiver much like Calvin Johnson. The Calvin Johnson one is the flashier of the two and people notice those guys more. Whereas receivers like Cooper won't see the headlines for their 9 catches a game which are silent but deadly. Truth be told every one wants to see the "sexy" prospect that ends up pushing headlines, when just about every time he is the same guy who demands a huge contract eventually and you can't pay the rest of your team.

Just because White is tall doesn't mean he can compare to CJ whatsoever. The only receiver who can come close to that in this draft is Dorial Green-Beckham (which is actually a comparison I've heard, although DGB isn't as athletic). Now, I haven't seen anything on White this year, but I doubt it'd take a good combine to push him into the top 5 if he was actually comparable to CJ given CJ's athleticism goes well beyond just elite speed.

Everything I've heard on Cooper the past year and a half is that he's essentially the next AJ Green. White seems more like an Alshon Jeffery, massively talented but in need of some adjustment to get to the top of the NFL (Jeffery was also considered a first rounder until injuries and weight issues pushed him down to the 2nd).

Just because White is tall doesn't mean he can compare to CJ whatsoever. The only receiver who can come close to that in this draft is Dorial Green-Beckham (which is actually a comparison I've heard, although DGB isn't as athletic). Now, I haven't seen anything on White this year, but I doubt it'd take a good combine to push him into the top 5 if he was actually comparable to CJ given CJ's athleticism goes well beyond just elite speed.

Everything I've heard on Cooper the past year and a half is that he's essentially the next AJ Green. White seems more like an Alshon Jeffery, massively talented but in need of some adjustment to get to the top of the NFL (Jeffery was also considered a first rounder until injuries and weight issues pushed him down to the 2nd).

I wasn't comparing him to CJ in game play, I was comparing him in the mould of his physical stature. Of course no one can compare to Megatron, but White is coming out of college with the same build.

• 4 weeks later...

Where is your team drafting and who do you want them to draft?

Packers have pick #30 and I want them to draft Jalen Collins out of LSU. We need another cornerback because Tramon is leaving and Davon House left as well. Plus we don't have Bush signed yet. Hayward and Shields can't do it all.

Carolina, and of what will probably be there at 25 (the playoff ride was fun but ultimately screwed us) I'd say Clemmings. If some other guys are there (Peat comes to mind, but likely a late teens pick) I'd take them.

That said, there's a few season window to build the team up, because we should keep winning the NFC South by accident. There are no other football teams.

Is RB a need down in Carolina, Jason?

It's one of those positions where we'd like to potentially upgrade, but not at the expense of bigger needs. When Stewart is healthy (like he FINALLY was for much of last season, but hasn't been for some time) he's a decent back. There's also a lot of confidence in Fozzy. That said, O-line is the biggest need, and there's definitely no sense in going RB when he's not going to be able to go anywhere. I have a feeling RB might be a position that's addressed in the 5th with one of the compensation picks, a guy to take a shot on and groom behind Stewart/Tolbert. If he busts, we're still ok-ish, if Fozzy continues to progress.

O-line first. I don't think Gettleman really expects Oher to come in and save everything. He's an upgrade over Byron Bell, but then an actual bell would be an upgrade over Byron Bell. Remmers stepped up toward the end of the season, he's probably the best tackle on the roster right now, followed by Oher, which is why we need a tackle, and it wouldn't hurt to grab a guard too. Steve Smith or no, the single biggest reason for the decline last season compared to the season before was the retirement of Jordan Gross. Replace him, and we're 11-5 again. Yes, just one guy - but good OTs are hard to come by.

After that, probably the secondary. Tillman is a decent (old) pickup, just like Harper was last year, but neither is going to be around for long, and neither is really good enough anymore. They're upgrades over anyone else we might have had, but secondary by piecemeal isn't a great idea. Bene needs some time to develop, for right now he'll be a good nickel corner and can come in on injuries etc. We need to pick up a safety to develop as well. I like what Tre Boston has done since joining but he can only fill one spot.

After the secondary, WR. Benjamin certainly did better than expected, despite all the drops, but Ted Ginn (who we had 2 seasons ago and didn't impress, now picked back up after a season away) is currently the second WR. That's a problem. He's a massive upgrade on Bersin or Philly for returns, which I suspect is his primary usage this season (and will likely give Bersin the door) but a solid #2 would be nice.

My best guess as to RB would be that it is the fourth biggest need, after the three above (fifth, if you want to count tackle and guard separately instead of lumping them in as O-line).

There are a few obvious bright spots on the roster. D-line, even without Hardy, is still very solid, if not as fear-inducing as before - Star and Short are good, Johnson was worse last year but just because he could draw the double teams without Hardy opposite him, so if Ealy steps up (or Addison plays like he did for a few games early last season) D-line is still just fine. Linebacker is also its usual self. Luuuuke isn't going anywhere, nor is Davis. Klein is meh, but we don't need him to be anything special when Luuuuke and Davis are there. Olsen is still lighting it up at TE. Cam, while not great, is also not terrible - he's certainly starter quality, which is more than can be said for some other teams' actual starters.

• 3 weeks later...