Claimed:S44 Prospect Profile [Final 6/6]

Prospect Profile

In this piece, I’ll briefly profile a few first generation players looking to catching the eye of VHL General Managers this season down in the VHLM. The upcoming Season 44 Entry Draft looks to be strong up front, but at this point depth appears to be a major concern.  Without further ado, here are some exciting new members and their players:

Simon Valmount – Ahma

TrevorDemmans.jpg

The Finish wonder, a towering forward currently assigned to the Bratislava Watchmen seems primed to be either a great power, playmaking forward or a future defenseman perhaps? Through 16 games this season, the winger has notched 14 points (9 of which are assists). The player appears to be going toward a more defensive minded and pass-first build at present. Either way, he has logged an impressive 83 practice hours so far and is already lining up as a very good looking first generation player. Quiet around the boards, I’ve heard he’s still feeling his way around the league.

Xavier Kirkland – Stonepillar

josh_nicholls_saskatoon_122412.jpg

Next up is newly recruited defenseman Xavier Kirkland, king of the Costco brand. Kirkland is quite stout and strong and with only ten games played in his young career, it is difficult to tell what kind of player he will shape up to be. Thus far he’s been quite a physical force for the favoured Brampton Blades, putting down 14 penalty minutes and 23 hits through 10 games. His build would suggest he may be looking to become a more offensive defenseman right off the hop, but his play (2 assists) hasn’t caught up. The Blades do have a lot of depth, which should lend itself to helping this young man on the second pairing. I’m excited to see a new first generation defenseman, but we’ll have to keep track of how he proceeds from here on out.

Matej Križ – Jedi

jc_lipon_kamloops_101310.jpg

Another sizable European winger gets showcased here. Križ has found himself on the rebuilding Yukon Rush and in doing so will likely become one of their few bright spots over the course of the season. The Czech product looks to follow in the footsteps of perhaps a Jagr as he brings both size and skill to the table. Through 16 games so far this season, the winger appears to show some excellent hands and grit thus far. Putting up 11 points, 22 penalty minutes and 28 hits so far, he appears to show a nice balance. The players appears to be more of a sniper than a playmaker at this point in his young career, but I’m excited to see how he’ll continue to develop as I’ve seen him around the boards a number of times so far.  An SHL recruit who is welcomed here.

I must say that this draft is shaping up to have the typical number of good prospects, but that there are an extremely low number of draftees (15). If this number remains as low as it is, this will likely go down as the worst overall draft in league history. Are we at the breaking point in terms of recruitment? I’d say something drastic needs to be done within the next few weeks/months as I don’t think the league can remain with only 15 people per draft class. We’ve got a good league here, but we need more people to sustain it.

Did you just rehash my last three medias?!

jk, nice work sterling. Hopefully we get some more members to bolster this upcoming draft.

If you pay attention you'd know I've brought it up as a negative about 150 times in the past 2 weeks. But we've had worse.

We both know I don't read what you post

• 1 month later...