New Forum

Higgins

Two things to help going forward:

1. Everyone update their avatar (It makes it seem like the site is active and not everyone is just default/aka attracts people thinking we are active)

2. When starting new posts make sure things are capitalized where they need to be, it helps the overall look being professional)

no

• Commissioner

So it's essentially useless, then?

In theory if we open up a temporary SMF forum and import the backup there (since it's designed for SMF it should work there) we should be able to access what we need. I just hope it actually contains actual posts and not just forum system info.

In theory if we open up a temporary SMF forum and import the backup there (since it's designed for SMF it should work there) we should be able to access what we need. I just hope it actually contains actual posts and not just forum system info.

thats all i recognized other then smilies was forum system info

• Commissioner

thats all i recognized other then smilies was forum system info

Actual posts could be highly encrypted though. 6GB seems way too large to be behind the scenes info and smilies. Might be best to check with smf support about whether or not the backup file will give us access to what we need.

Actual posts could be highly encrypted though. 6GB seems way too large to be behind the scenes info and smilies. Might be best to check with smf support about whether or not the backup file will give us access to what we need.

alright i'll keep checking out all the stuff i got here.

• Commissioner

alright i'll keep checking out all the stuff i got here.

Chances are if anything is there, like I said, it's probably encrypted. Is there a way to get SMF for free or would we have to pay for it if we needed to build a temp site?

Chances are if anything is there, like I said, it's probably encrypted. Is there a way to get SMF for free or would we have to pay for it if we needed to build a temp site?

i'm not too sure about that, but i'll look into a temp smf page. 

• Commissioner

So basically if we could find some free web space and not have very many people access it (therefore avoid bandwidth issues) we could probably set up a free SMF forum and put the backup on it to get the information.

So basically if we could find some free web space and not have very many people access it (therefore avoid bandwidth issues) we could probably set up a free SMF forum and put the backup on it to get the information.

Exactly, the only issue is finding a free web host that gives you over 6GB free. Worst case we pay $5 and get a month of it.

• Commissioner

Exactly, the only issue is finding a free web host that gives you over 6GB free. Worst case we pay $5 and get a month of it.

Yeah, that's not bad. I would just like to know that we CAN get all of our important posts back before we pay anything. $5 isn't much but it would be annoying to pay just to find out that none of the posts exist anyway.

Yeah, that's not bad. I would just like to know that we CAN get all of our important posts back before we pay anything. $5 isn't much but it would be annoying to pay just to find out that none of the posts exist anyway.

If I can get the whole thing downloaded I'll try running it locally to see if it works.

• Commissioner

If I can get the whole thing downloaded I'll try running it locally to see if it works.

That could work.

Smarch, do you have any suggestions for getting the download to work? I think for most of us it gets to like 1.5GB and then stops downloading and extracts to like a 2.5GB file.

Boys. Everyone here is doing great work.

I wish I could help... but I'm so tied up with school and personal problems...This weekend doesn't look good, but I'll look around during the week a bit more and see :)

• Commissioner

Btw, anyone know if we can increase avatar size a bit?

From what I've found it used to be doable but they removed the ability in recent updates. I'll look into some hacks for it later because they are pretty small.

That could work.

Smarch, do you have any suggestions for getting the download to work? I think for most of us it gets to like 1.5GB and then stops downloading and extracts to like a 2.5GB file.

No tips, I just did it at night when no one was on the site, 

• Commissioner

No tips, I just did it at night when no one was on the site, 

Alright so chances are it is the fact that we were all trying to download it which likely fucked with the servers that I doubt are too robust for something like this.

So download one at a time guys :P

So nice to head off for a few hours come back and you guys have already continued to do a lot. Honestly at this rate it won't take us too long to get this running, provided we get the back up working as intended.Also Jackim, I was assuming SMF would have a way for you to check stuff locally before making it live. But who knows, forum domains are far more particular about stuff than traditional domains.