League Requires Recruitment Boost [Final 6/6]

sterling

League Requires Recruitment Boost

With the Season 44 VHL Entry Draft being the smallest draft class ever in my memory, it is evident that the VHL needs a renewed interest in recruitment and retainment. To me, it seems far easier to identify this area as a problem than it does to come up with a viable solution. Exactly where and whom do you target to bring here? Sim hockey leagues are certainly a niche market which means not many regular day people will decide to pick this up as a hobby. With that said, I do think a league like the VHL can provide a lot of cheap, easy entertainment and a really unique social setting for people. It’s clear the league has a lot to offer, but branding such is what we need to do. We need to get our message out to the masses.

In the past I tried Facebook advertisements, but this didn’t seem to work well and I never renewed it past the trial period. Other options included Google ads, random forums, Reddit and the like. Who knows what the best option is? What I do know is that the simply spamming of other message boards which at one time was fruitful is now more or less seen as a general nuisance to online communities. Imagine if that occurred here, which at times it does. People don’t usually react in kind to that intrusion.

I’ve long thought that perhaps we could look into VHL merchandise such as stickers or T-shirts. Even well placed posters in individual’s communities or colleges might attract new members to the scene. If we could create sharp looking clothing with some words on the back referring curious bystanders to the site, we may have success. It is these types of creative recruitment ideas that are required. I really think we need to tap into new markets of people that haven’t experience sim leagues before.

reddit-logo-01-674x501.jpg

The aforementioned Reddit is apparently a good source of paid advertisement. I’m not sure of the logistics of such a move, but it sounds like something worth moving on. There are countless other sites on the internet and especially other message boards with high numbers of traffic that we could advertise on. We certainly have the cash flow, but alas I’m not going to put the effort in to mobilize the effort, I’ll simply pay for it.

It will be key to find new members as their energy is what keeps the VHL going. I can’t stand seeing such a small draft class in a league that has seen some incredible recruitment periods in its history. In less than a month, we will be celebrating our 8th anniversary which is quite an amazing feat in the world of online simulation hockey forums. It hasn’t come without trials and tribulations, but we’ve always made it through clear. It seems to me that the league is as strong now as ever before. We have a number of dedicated admin staff that are making good decisions to strengthen the core of the league. My one complaint would be that we obviously need an increased focus on bringing in new members, especially with creative ideas.  There’s no harm, for instance, in paying people TPE to come up with recruitments or recruitment ideas. I hope people will see the need for an improved focus on this area.

(There may be one that I just don't know about) But I think if there was a canned explanation/post of what the VHL is, more people would post it in other places. Some times it can be tough to fully encompass what a simulation league is and make it sound fun and not taxing. 

If there was something members could copy and paste to their favorite forums and message boards, I'd bet more would. 

[in b4 you tell me there already is one somewhere]

VICTORY HOCKEY LEAGUE
THE WORLD'S FINEST SIMULATION LEAGUE
VHLsmall.png

The Victory Hockey League (VHL) is a player simulation league where you are able to create a unique player of your own and compete with/against other members of the VHL (100% human). Creating a player is as easy as filling out a template, which takes you about two minutes (maybe up to five minutes if you have difficulty deciding on a player name, country, or position). After you post your player's template to our forum, you have a full career experience including drafts, minor leagues, trades, and free agency.

By doing weekly writing/graphics tasks, you are able to build your player's attributes. In doing so, you can dictate what type of player you create (power forward, sniper, defensive defenseman etc.). These point tasks are as fun as you make them out to be, but they usually take no more than 45 minutes per week to get full credit.

For the first thirty seasons of its history, the VHL featured eight teams - four in the North America Conference and four in European Conference. After Season 31, the league expanded to ten teams, meaning five teams in each hemisphere. VHL franchises vary from the Toronto Legion and New York Americans to the Cologne Express and HC Davos Dynamo. Did we mention all VHL logos are designed by our own members? They're all incredibly impressive and the league is worth checking out for that reason alone.

All in all, to give the VHL a summation: we are an incredibly active organization that has continued discussion surrounding every day topics, whether that involves sports, school, or work. The league is successful because of its incredibly dedicated administration, its stunningly strong member base, and the will to make every day in this league fun. Below are some details surrounding what makes the league so impressive:

Quick Facts about the VHL:
  • We have been running for 42 seasons, or over 7 real years
    All players in the league are members who have created players. There are no CPU's.
    There are 10 teams in the league, 6 playoff teams.
    We have unique logos for each team, designed by our members
    We have a portal to keep track of statistics so your records will never be lost
Truth be told, there's never been a better time to join the league. We have seen over 100 players created over the past two seasons, and already have 45 signed up for next season's draft. If you spend a small amount of time on your point tasks, your player will have a very successful career. 

Please say you were recruited by eaglesfan036 smiles.gif

Content: 3/3 - I think people on this website can unanimously agree about this. The website also seems more dead than usual right now, but maybe because it's summer. Although, I don't really think that to be a great reason. I'm not entirely sure where to go about advertising this. It would probably be best on hockey related websites like HF or NHL.com, maybe places where EA NHL fans go? It's hard to say as like you said, online communities start to see advertising like this as annoying more than anything. I'm sure the SHL tries recruiting sometimes in the same places that the VHL does as well, so people could get confused.

Grammar: 2/2 - Nothing.

Appearance: 1/1 - Great.

Overall: 6/6