Claimed:The race for the Stolzy

scotty

The race for the Stolzy

With the end of the S35 fast approaching, only a few games remain for the rookie class of S35 to stake their claim to the Christian Stolzschweiger trophy which is awarded annually to the VHL’s best rookie. The trophy, commonly referred to as the ‘Stolzy’, has seen no shortage of competition this season with a trio of rookies leading the way as frontrunners at this late juncture in the season.

Cologne forward Davey Jones currently leads the rookie race in goals (31) and is tied for the lead in points (65). On pace to score over the point-per-game threshold, Jones has been instrumental in the Express’ success this season as the team is almost a sure bet to clinch the number two seed in the European Conference.

Jones’ story is well articulated as the 6-foot-1, 200-pound forward forged an interesting path to professional hockey growing up in Miami, Fla. Jones’ high-end speed and excellent scoring ability have aided him with a smooth transition to the VHL in S35 and has given him a very formidable chance of walking away with the Stolzy at season’s end.

Of course, that’s not to say there aren’t others in the mix. Davos forward Matteo Gallo comes from the same S35 draft class and has also equaled the offensive output of Jones this season with 65 points of his own. On the surface, it may be hard to say conclusively who the better player is; but Gallo’s case for the Stolzy will be bolstered by the fact that he is leading Davos in both goals and points.

Justin-Williams_2741240.jpg?201203290729

Matteo Gallo is the likely favourite for the S35 Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy

Gallo has been instrumental in the Dyanmo’s resurgence and while the team will likely be resigned to the third seed in the European Conference, there is no doubt that Gallo’s contributions to the rebuilding team will not go unnoticed.

The forward heavy class also sees the inclusion of Calgary’s Simon Tremblay, who has 26 goals and 55 points thus far in a secondary scoring role. The left winger has mostly seen limited ice-time on the team’s second line but has been quietly productive for a team that has no shortage of offensive firepower. Although the season has been an impressive debut for Tremblay, it’s hard to see much support in his corner when it’s compared against the seasons of Gallo and Jones.

Defenseman Dan Tremblay is the rookie class’ top scoring defenseman with 55 points in 60 games, but as a S33 prospect, age will likely work against Tremblay in the eyes of voters as the Legion defenseman is theoretically more advanced in development than any of his peers.

In net, Davos’ Lennox Moher has had a very respectable freshman season with a 2.63 GAA and .903 SV%, but he won’t figure in as a serious contender for the Stolzy as his save percentage is last amongst qualified goaltenders and his GAA is 6th.

The S35 class of rookies haven’t exactly taken the league by storm, but in an increasingly competitive VHL, the era of the dominant rookie is most certainly over. In a season that’s contained many ups and downs for the rookies, you’d be wise to put your money as Matteo Gallo and Davey Jones being the clear-cut front-runners at this late stage.

Comparing apples to apples, there’s not much to distinguish either player’s season thus far. The goals, points, and overall offensive impact are comparable on the surface, but the second level of research overwhelmingly support Gallo’s resume. As Davos’ leading goal scorer and point scorer, Gallo’s importance to his team undoubtedly outweighs what Jones has done to his team, and while the rookie award does not necessarily go to the ‘most valuable player’, the notion certainly applies in this case.

Edited by scotty

I don't know if you can say Gallo's chances are better because he is the leader on the Davos squad in points. That's a pretty weak point.

Keep in mind Jones is a second line forward.

• Head Moderator

I don't know if you can say Gallo's chances are better because he is the leader on the Davos squad in points. That's a pretty weak point.

Keep in mind Jones is a second line forward.

Chances are better imo. Leading your team in scoring is a fairly significant factor when considering rookie abilities.

Express is a much deeper team and has more scoring in general. Jones gets to play 2nd line against other team 2nd lines.

Gally is first line on a much younger team needing to face first pairing defensemen.

Jones gives up the puck more at 186 to Gallys 108.

Jones makes up this fact that he is a center though and he is 53% on 1882 attempts which is pretty good. So I swing that in his Favour.

It's not a huge difference but there is one for sure but in this last sim, Olsen has taken the team lead in points.

I'd say it's like a 55-45 Gally favor.

I'd put them even. I'd say playing on the second line with low TPE guys is harder than getting time with better players. Keep in mind the sim rewards chemistry over high attributes. It's all a mute point, I know Gallo will win it.

• Head Moderator

LMAO. I will laugh if I win it. I haven't been in this league long enough or know the right people to win it.

Nah, people win it all the time when they are new to the forum, it's just harder cuz they have less carryover on their first guy.

Content: 3/3 - Some pretty damn good rookies in this class, it will definitely be tough to pick Jones or Gallo over each other with how excellent both have been, but neither can be considered the wrong choice.

Grammar: 2/2 - Just one thing here:

frontrunners -> front-runners

Appearance: 1/1 - It wasn't ugly.

Overall: 6/6 - Candy and junk food will rot your teeth, make your breath stink.

Yes but what's your point?

If Gallo has has a 3ppg playoff run and Jones has a point in x amount of games, that will have a huge impact on voting. But obviously nobody is going to say that.... voting should be right after season instead of playoffs cause that way people will/can change their mind.

If Gallo has has a 3ppg playoff run and Jones has a point in x amount of games, that will have a huge impact on voting. But obviously nobody is going to say that.... voting should be right after season instead of playoffs cause that way people will/can change their mind.

You are so wrong. They just look at the seasons they had during the regular season. Playoffs doesn't matter at all regardless or anything. It's a regular season award haha

^this

I think more emphasis needs to be placed on activity sometimes but it's somewhat harder to evaluate if people aren't paying attention.

So then DA has the upper hand haha

Content: 3/3 - My vote goes to Davey Jones, but I admit that I am biased from my recent stay in Cologne. You can easily make a case for either Jones or Gallo, but I think Jones has the slight edge. Either way, this year's crop of rookies seems to be pretty good. Both Jones and Gallo should become solid players for their respective clubs.

Grammar: 2/2 - Not bad.

The race = The Race

of the S35 = of S35

hockey growing = hockey. Growing

Appearance: 1/1 - Solid.

Overall: 6/6

FINAL: 6/6

• 1 month later...