MLB Discussion

gregreg

4 minutes ago, Street x Lite said:

Yeah. dw they'll fall off eventually and finish with like 65 wins.

Eh, I've watched a lot of Twins since I moved up this way. The defense alone should get them to about .500 - Buxton is legit, even if he can't hit. Sano and Santana will fall off a bit, but with Berrios pitching the full way, I at least don't think they're going to suck.

1 minute ago, boubabi said:

well, the indians are the only dangerous team really, so yes.

Okay, I have a question because I don't know shit about baseball and my knowledge is pretty limited. But when I first started watching baseball, joe mauer was an allstar catcher. Now, he's a full time 1B, how so ? He doesn't have the arm to play catcher or what ? 

It's all about the physical toll it takes on the catcher's body. Catchers normally play about 130-140 games a year anyway because they need more breaks than other position players - now factor in age (Mauer's in his 30s), and it gets worse. If the Twins want Mauer to bat all 162 games, makes more sense to put him at 1B, which is the easiest of all defensive positions to learn and switch to.

with a minimal reseach I just did on google, it says that Joe Mauer had a lot of concussion on the plate and that's why he doesn't play anymore

well, rip

19 minutes ago, boubabi said:

well, the indians are the only dangerous team really, so yes.

Okay, I have a question because I don't know shit about baseball and my knowledge is pretty limited. But when I first started watching baseball, joe mauer was an allstar catcher. Now, he's a full time 1B, how so ? He doesn't have the arm to play catcher or what ? 

Run over at home and had concussion problems that eventually moved him away from behind the plate 

Just now, Smarch said:

Run over at home and had concussion problems that eventually moved him away from behind the plate 

Him and Buster Posey are the reasons you can't run over a catcher at home anymore 

When you see a guy like Joe Mauer @boubabi it makes you appreciate the catchers who have long careers because they are few and far between. Posey and Molina are two who impress me the most. I think we often seen catchers have 5-8 year careers but with some guys they go 10+

1 hour ago, Kendrick said:

When you see a guy like Joe Mauer @boubabi it makes you appreciate the catchers who have long careers because they are few and far between. Posey and Molina are two who impress me the most. I think we often seen catchers have 5-8 year careers but with some guys they go 10+

Russell Martin is a workhorse as well

1 hour ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

Russell Martin is a workhorse as well

Russell is, he is also a converted catcher as he started his career at third base if I recall correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ALright, is there some baseball nerds here ? I'm trying to understand some of the tendencies of the pitchers vs certain handedness. Like I've been told a changeup/curveball is more effective  when you throw to an opposite hand batter, I guess because he has less time to see the release point and he would have a hard time to guess if the pitch is a fastball or not ? What is it ? 

How bout lefties vs lefties ?  The Mad Bum and the Kershaw of this world often use to outside sliders as a strike out pitch, which is obvious, but how yo uset up that pitch ? High inside fastball or what ?  

It's all about usually pitching from the sweet spot of the bat. So to throw a pitch away from a batter you'll have the pitch tail towards the end of the bat where you get weaker contact. Same with a inside pitch and trying to jam a hitter.

usually you set these up with fastballs to fool the eye and get them in swing mode over a change up curve ball etc

I think that's what you were asking? 

9 minutes ago, boubabi said:

How bout lefties vs lefties ?  The Mad Bum and the Kershaw of this world often use to outside sliders as a strike out pitch, which is obvious, but how yo uset up that pitch ? High inside fastball or what ?  

What @Smarch touched on. Usually to set up a slider for the third strike, you want to fool the batter into thinking he has to swing. So in order to do that you throw a lethal fastball to get them swing happy.

still trying to understand some of the pitching movement, but yeah, it makes sense. My obvious thinking was to play with the mind of the batter so you throw up/down

inside/outside fastballs/breakingballs so they don't know what to expect. My guess would be to start with a high fastball (so you set up a high velocity pitch, and then, throw your nastiest balls down low to mess with the batter

11 minutes ago, boubabi said:

still trying to understand some of the pitching movement, but yeah, it makes sense. My obvious thinking was to play with the mind of the batter so you throw up/down

inside/outside fastballs/breakingballs so they don't know what to expect. My guess would be to start with a high fastball (so you set up a high velocity pitch, and then, throw your nastiest balls down low to mess with the batter

Most  of the time what you throw now has to do with tendencies of the batter. So aggressive first pitch hitters usually see a mix of change ups and high fastballs for the first pitch at bat cause there aggressive and looking for a fastball, so basically in swing mode no matter the pitch 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TheTruth
46 minutes ago, boubabi said:

the dbacks with jd martnez in the right field becomes a pretty nice team...but hey, the dodgers is still pretty fucking jacked so fuck the dodgers

dbacks :)

3 hours ago, boubabi said:

the dbacks with jd martnez in the right field becomes a pretty nice team...but hey, the dodgers is still pretty fucking jacked so fuck the dodgers

JD Martinez is alright. Pretty sure he had 3 errors in one game this year that I was watching and it was laughable to watch

On 6/26/2017 at 11:04 PM, boubabi said:

ALright, is there some baseball nerds here ? I'm trying to understand some of the tendencies of the pitchers vs certain handedness. Like I've been told a changeup/curveball is more effective  when you throw to an opposite hand batter, I guess because he has less time to see the release point and he would have a hard time to guess if the pitch is a fastball or not ? What is it ? 

Change up to opposing batter is great because it moves away from the batter. Pulling in general is healthier for more solid contact. Tougher to pull a pitch moving away from you.  Curve ball I would disagree on - would say more difficult same handedness.  But either way, I think RHP vs RHB and LHP vs LHB is more tough because the ball is typically moving away from you -- and also importantly less time to see the ball.

• 2 months later...