MLB Discussion

gregreg

Not enough interest here to specifically start a VHL one but I have started a SHL one that has 3 spots available:

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/invitation?l=155383&k=025d9ec5c01c5b10&soc_trk=lnk&ikey=7a33b6d72b21dba6

@ADwyer87 @gregreg

I'd like to draft this week at some point (any day before sunday basically).

43 minutes ago, Advantage said:

Not enough interest here to specifically start a VHL one but I have started a SHL one that has 3 spots available:

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/invitation?l=155383&k=025d9ec5c01c5b10&soc_trk=lnk&ikey=7a33b6d72b21dba6

@ADwyer87 @gregreg

I'd like to draft this week at some point (any day before sunday basically).

In

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Im probably the biggest Blue Jays hater..I hope Houston/Boston play in Wildcard game and Baltimore wins division.

Boston isn't going anywhere until they dump that manager of theirs and get themselves pitching. Farrell, David, Price, a Knuckle-baller.... they trying to be Toronto or something!?

4 minutes ago, Smarch said:

Big series coming up here

Taking this series from the O's is huge. I have hopes we add another SP at the deadline too.

27 minutes ago, Nero said:

Taking this series from the O's is huge. I have hopes we add another SP at the deadline too.

Who do you want them to target. Its going to be hard with a sellers market and people valuing 3rd or 4th starters as aces. Like Pomeranz

31 minutes ago, Smarch said:

Who do you want them to target. Its going to be hard with a sellers market and people valuing 3rd or 4th starters as aces. Like Pomeranz

I'd have said Hellickson but like you indicated, Phillies want a top 5 prospect for a 4th or 5th starter. I would look at the back-end of rotations for teams that aren't in contention. Dan Straily from the Reds might be a guy who can provide some quality starts and we shouldn't have to give up much for. 

39 minutes ago, Nero said:

I'd have said Hellickson but like you indicated, Phillies want a top 5 prospect for a 4th or 5th starter. I would look at the back-end of rotations for teams that aren't in contention. Dan Straily from the Reds might be a guy who can provide some quality starts and we shouldn't have to give up much for. 

Atkins will have to be creative this year I believe like you said. Need to look at players that can fill the back end of the rotation this season and hopefully next too. I hope they can get a guy that is under control for a couple of seasons 

1 minute ago, Smarch said:

Atkins will have to be creative this year I believe like you said. Need to look at players that can fill the back end of the rotation this season and hopefully next too. I hope they can get a guy that is under control for a couple of seasons 

I'd be fine if they went a little gung-ho & looked to acquire Shields or Volquez. This is likely the last season we enjoy the Donaldson-Joey-Edwin combo in the lineup so we have to win now.

Nats interested in Bautista, although trade is unlikely.

Jonathan Lucroy is not in the Brewers' starting lineup Thursday against the Diamondbacks. Rev up those trade rumor engines. ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reported on Wednesday night that talks involving Jonathan Lucroy had begun to intensify, and it sounds like he could be dealt at some point Thursday. There is believed to be interest from the Rangers, Indians, Astros, Mets, and Red Sox.

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Orioles are "trying hard" for Andrew Cashner. Baltimore badly needs rotation help -- Ubaldo Jimenez and his 7.38 ERA are starting Thursday against the Twins.

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that the Royals are trying to package Ian Kennedy in a Wade Davis trade, with the Dodgers "a strong match." Los Angeles badly wants Davis, as reported earlier by Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, and the club has deep enough pockets to comfortably take on what remains on the ill-advised five-year, $70 million free agent contract that Kennedy received this winter from Kansas City.

Expect Jays, O's, and Red Sox to be scrambling for deals at the last minute. Dombrowski doesn't seem urgent but dropping 4 of 5 at home, to inferior teams, can't sit well with a club who invested $217M in Price.  And in other news, there's some serious steam behind the Yankees and their interest in Chris Sale.  New York has plenty of intriguing prospects and usually doesn't have a problem trading away the bulk of 'em.

22 minutes ago, Nero said:

Expect Jays, O's, and Red Sox to be scrambling for deals at the last minute. Dombrowski doesn't seem urgent but dropping 4 of 5 at home, to inferior teams, can't sit well with a club who invested $217M in Price.  And in other news, there's some serious steam behind the Yankees and their interest in Chris Sale.  New York has plenty of intriguing prospects and usually doesn't have a problem trading away the bulk of 'em.

It will be interesting because it looks like the Yankees are also sellers as well so Sale might be someone they get for long-term considering he has a very team friendly contract.

1 minute ago, Kendrick said:

It will be interesting because it looks like the Yankees are also sellers as well so Sale might be someone they get for long-term considering he has a very team friendly contract.

I don't think the Yankees are necessarily "sellers". I don't think they planned on re-signing Chapman and there's other deals they'll consider on a case-by-case basis. If they could acquire Sale and another bat, considering their bullpen, they most certainly can compete. Now if they go ahead and dump Beltran, CC, and Pineda, then I'd say they're selling. I don't think the Yankees really know what they want to do right but they definitely need to wait out some of these garbage contracts they have on the books. 

2 hours ago, Nero said:

I don't think the Yankees are necessarily "sellers". I don't think they planned on re-signing Chapman and there's other deals they'll consider on a case-by-case basis. If they could acquire Sale and another bat, considering their bullpen, they most certainly can compete. Now if they go ahead and dump Beltran, CC, and Pineda, then I'd say they're selling. I don't think the Yankees really know what they want to do right but they definitely need to wait out some of these garbage contracts they have on the books. 

It would be in their best interest to get younger by unloading these old guys. Beltran, Tex and others need to go so they can acquire bats for the future. Realistically even if they acquire a bat, they can't do any huge stride forward.

5 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

It would be in their best interest to get younger by unloading these old guys. Beltran, Tex and others need to go so they can acquire bats for the future. Realistically even if they acquire a bat, they can't do any huge stride forward.

Most have little-to-no value. Beltran is expiring and an All Star so they'd be wise to unload him. They're stuck with Tex & A-Rod for another full season. 

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Red Sox are officially a dumpster fire. O's took an L last night too. 

O's looked past the Twins last night. That was bound to happen with the Blue Jays 3 game series on their mind.

Rumblings of a big 3-team extravaganza brewing with the Dodgers, Reds & a mystery team.  Jay Bruce would land in LA when the dust settles. If the talks that @jaysonst reported reach the finish line and Jay Bruce lands with LAD, could signal end of Puig's time as Dodger mainstay.

Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports that the Rays have had recent trade talks with the Dodgers and could be involved as the third team in a potential deal with the Reds. A potential three-team deal that would send Jay Bruce to the Dodgers appears to be gaining traction, with Yasiel Puig likely heading out the door in that scenario. Where there's this much smoke, there's usually fire, so stay tuned to see how this one develops.

I'm off Monday Aug 1st so I'm curious what goes down :)