MLB Discussion

gregreg

Yea it's bloody terrible. Looks like Joey and Encarnation will need to get 100HRs between them if we are to finally make the post-season again. 

The Jays are long fucked now. That turf will eat up Reyes and Edwin again this season

Don't worry, Braves will race you to the bottom. And you can console yourself with... Sam Bradford?

Cole Hamels

Chad Billingsley (eventually)

Jerome Williams

?????

?????

1B: Ryan Howard/Darin Ruff/Mikael Franco

2B: Chase Utley

3B: Cody Asche/Mikael Franco

SS: Freddy Galvis

C: Carlos Ruiz

LF: Dominic Brown

CF: Ben Revere

RF: Couldn't even tell you

Your turn.

• 4 months later...

Went to the game tonight, have never seen a more improbable game. 2-2 for a while, then 3-2 Pirates, looked like it was going to end that way. Cards get a run late to tie it up, no one scores in the 9th. Pirates put Melancon in the 9th, Cards threw some other guy out there, Tuivailala, neither team scored. Top of the 10th, Cards scored 2 runs off Arquimedes Caminero to make it 5-3. Bottom of the 10th, Cards bring out Rosenthal and his (at the time) less than 1 ERA. Looks like that's game, a quarter or so of the fans left. I was still there and it paid off huge. Mercer leads off with a single, but then Walker and McCutchen get out, one on, two outs and need two runs to extend the game. Not looking good (btw, McCutchen went 0-5 and broke his consecutive games hitting streak). Marte singles, Mercer gets all the way around to score. Kang singles (barely), Marte to 2nd. At this point it still kind of looked like delaying the inevitable, even with the tying run in scoring position and the winning run on base. Two outs still, so any non-hit and it's game. Cervelli singles, Marte scores, Kang to third (just beat the throw). Ishikawa comes in to pinch hit for Rodriguez, I don't quite understand that one but it didn't matter because they walked him and loaded the bases. Polanco singles and Kang comes in for the winner.

3 runs off Rosenthal in a single inning, when we'd scored 3 runs the whole game on worse pitchers. No big hits to keep things going, just single after single after single after single, and a walk thrown in for good measure. The pitching coach and catcher went to the mound for a meeting before the last pitch of the Cervelli at-bat, and one pitch later, just before the Ishikawa at-bat. That was the single craziest ending to a game I've ever seen.

The atmosphere seemed like a playoff game, or at least the game to clinch the playoffs, not just pulling to within 2 1/2 of the division. That said, 13 of the last 16 for the Pirates, I would not want to be the Cards right now!

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like there's gotta be more than just what's been reported at first, especially when the Mets were supposedly offering an arm and a leg for him. If the Rockies don't get back legit pitching prospects, that's one hell of a trade failure. Stroman, Sanchez, somebody.

It's 

Tulo

Hawkins

for

Reyes

minor leaguers.

Stroman and Sanchez aren't going to be in the mix. Maybe Norris, Castro?