S46 VHFL

scoop

Standings
Week 1
Week 2

*This thread has priority over the VHFL Rules & FAQ thread in this forum; any discrepancies between the two will refer to this thread for the solution.*
*Link to an important update, which may or may not be of interest to you*

(see the second post of this thread for a tl;dr of the rules, hitting on some of the more important aspects)

Welcome to the S46 VHFL Season everyone! Once again the VHFL will be run in a slightly different way. In S44 I allowed for weekly roster changes; S45 we removed that option but expanded the rosters. This season, we will be moving back to starting rosters of three forwards, two defensemen, and one goaltender; however, each team will be allotted a three-player bench (consisting of any combination of forwards and defensemen). More details on how this will work with the salary cap and swapping players between the starting lineup and the bench can be found below in the rules.

No other changes are going to be made. As far as the scoring structure goes, I certainly don't believe it is perfect. Should players be punished as harshly as they are for penalty minutes? Are shots blocked too valuable given that mediocre players are bad teams accumulate so many by default? Maybe. But as it stands, all participants in the VHFL are aware of how the scoring works.

Rules
1. Roster Requirements
1a. Each roster must consist of nine players. This includes a starting lineup of three forwards, two defensemen, one goalie; and a bench of three players (only forwards and defensemen may be on the bench). The goalie you choose will be your goalie for the entire season.

1b. In total, your roster may not exceed 35M; your starting lineup may never exceed 20M.

1c. Each week you must have a full starting lineup.

1d. If you submit an invalid starting lineup (either you do not fill in every slot or it exceeds 20M) and it isn't fixed before the deadline, your most recent valid starting lineup will be used instead.

2. Initial Roster Submission
2a. To enter the VHFL and submit your initial roster, send a message with your team to VHLFantasy using the official template found at the bottom of this post.

2b. Use the S46 VHFL Player List to construct your roster. Note that the VHFL player salaries do not match the VHL player salaries. Also, there may be players on the VHFL Player List who will be playing in the VHLM this season; it is your responsibility to put together your roster keeping that in mind. There are people who can help you (myself included) if you are not well informed.

2c. The deadline for the initial roster submission will be either the third sim of the season or Thursday, November 12th at 5 am Central Time, whichever comes earlier.

2d. Your initial startling lineup is indicated in the official template. If the initial starting lineup you submit is invalid due to being over the starting cap but your team as a whole is not over the team cap, you will receive no points for the first week but your team will still be valid in future weeks upon submitting a valid starting roster.

3. Changing you Lineup
3a. To submit a change in your starting lineup, just send a message to VHLFantasy indicating the change(s) you would like to make; you do not need to resubmit using the official template.

3b. Your lineup will be locked in for a week at a time. Week 1 begins when the season starts and ends with the first Sunday sim; following weeks will run from Monday to Sunday. The length of a week is subject to slight variation if a Sunday sim is late (depending on when exactly the two sims would then take place on Monday and my availability to record stats, it would be either one day longer or one day shorter, with the following week being affected as well).

3c. The deadline to submit a change in your starting lineup will be 5 am Central Time on the Monday that the given week starts; for Week 1, you may adjust your starting lineup until the deadline for the initial roster submission detailed in Rule 2c.

3d. Any starting lineup change will take effect in the next week; if you intended to change your lineup for Week 3 but sent it in late, it will not change for Week 3 but it will change for Week 4.

3e. You are not required to send in a starting lineup each week if you are not making changes.

4. Scoring
4a. In a given week, you only receive points for the players on your starting lineup.

4b. The tiebreaker (included in the official template) will only be used in cases where players are tied at a reward breakpoint. Whoever is closer to the correct answer wins the tiebreaker. If the tie is not broken, whoever submitted their roster first will win the tiebreaker.

4c. Here is the breakdown for the fantasy scoring

FORWARDS AND DEFENSE

Goal = 2 Points

Assist = 1 Points

Shot Blocked = 0.5 Points

Penalty Minute = -0.5 Points

Hits = 0.3 Points

GOALTENDERS

Win = 1 Points

Shutout = 2 Points

Save Percentage = Set amount of points for final Save Percentage (shown below)

0.900 = 25
0.910 = 50
0.915 = 75
0.920 = 100
0.925 = 125
0.930 = 150
0.935 = 200

Payout

You will be rewarded in TPE for your participation. The rewards are as follows:

1st: 4 TPE + VHFL Badge
2nd-3rd: 4 TPE
4th-8th: 3 TPE
9th-30th: 2 TPE
31st-last: 1 TPE

Official Template

Username: Your Username
Forward: Player Name (Salary)
Defensemen: Player Name (Salary)
Defensemen: Player Name (Salary)
Goaltender: Player Name (Salary)
Bench: Player Name (Salary)

Starting Salary: Must be 20M or less
Tie Breaker: How many points will the Victory Cup winning team finish with in the S46 Regular Season?

Edited by Streetlight

rules tl;dr (not that you shouldn't look at the detailed rules)

• Starting lineup consists of 3 forwards, 2 defensemen, 1 goalie (must be 20M or under)
  • Bench is 3 players (fowards and/or defensemen)
  • Starting lineup must be 20M or under
  • Total lineup must be 35M or under (as long as your initial starting lineup is valid, your total roster will be)
  • deadline to submit is earlier of 3rd sim or next Thursday @ 5 am central time
  • weekly rosters set each week on Monday @ 5 am central time (with the exception of week 1)
  • S46 VHFL Player List
  • Send to VHLFantasy
Edited by Streetlight

Changes look cool.

You helped suggest it so thanks. I would've actually liked to have had a bench goalie as well but as I was making up this post, I realized that would mean I'd have to return to weekly save percentage scoring, which I didn't like as much. I also thought about doing something where I record weekly saves/shots against for the goalies weekly and have every team with a personal season save percentage that is taken from the saves/shots against totals for the starting goalies each week...

I just decided to not complicate things and give no backup goalie though.

Also, there is essentially no limit to the cost of your bench players. Because the team max is 15M more than the starting lineup max, your bench could consist of three 5M players. Obviously that's going to hinder your ability to switch players in and out unless your starting line is under 20M or have several 5Ms that you can just interchange. But for the most part, anyone who actually uses up all or most of their 35M cap for the team is going to be more limited in their substitutions.

Last place: 0 TPE

It takes a lot of skill to be last. It's hard to predict who isn't going to score in this sim.

Except there are several high TPE VHLM players on the player list so you could just fill your roster with them. Or you could just fill your roster with players like Phil Hamilton, Zach Parechkin, etc etc all the shitty guys. :)

Last place: 0 TPE

It takes a lot of skill to be last. It's hard to predict who isn't going to score in this sim.

Except there are several high TPE VHLM players on the player list so you could just fill your roster with them. Or you could just fill your roster with players like Phil Hamilton, Zach Parechkin, etc etc all the shitty guys. :)

I suppose, this season. It took me some major skill last season to pick VHL guys that would give me a horrible spot in the standings.

IMPORTANT UPDATE

Made some changes to the original post as well as the tl;dr. Nothing changed, but I just wanted to do a better job of clarifying that the 20M starting cap is what people should be concerned with and not the 35M team cap (which meant literally nothing as long as your starting lineup was valid).

Also, World B. Free was added to the defensemen. His cost is 2M. My apologies for missing him.

And Kurtis Hunter, although he is a defenseman now in the VHL, will remain as a forward only for VHFL eligibility because he's already been placed on some rosters when he was listed as a forward. The conditions are the same for everyone.

Edited by Streetlight

Yeah, we only had 25 submissions this season. Unless I'm told that the payout has to be adjusted as a result, everyone who submitted a valid roster will get at least 2 TPE.

Max Molholt is still the darling of the fantasy world, this time because he's scoring at a ridiculous pace. This season, however, only six people have him. Rookie Zach Parechkin was on 12 rosters and had the sixth best week among forwards. The best defenseman, World B. Free, was mistakenly left off of the player list when it first released. It seems that Arcturus Mengsk was the correct rookie Seattle defender to pick; as the second-best defenseman, Mengsk doubled Jeff Hamilton's fantasy score from Week 1. None of the 5M costed players were in the top ten in fantasy scoring.

Oh, and in other "news," I'm leading after Week 1. In terms of just the skaters stats though, I'm in 6th, so it's not a comfortable lead.

Edited by Streetlight

A NEW LEADER HAS EMERGED

sterling takes over the first place spot. I fall to second, and StevenStamkos is in third. As you can see if you clicked that first link, I now have a season standings spreadsheet because there will be a spreadsheet for each week of scoring (due to starting lineups potentially changing from week to week). Here are the spreadsheets for the first two weeks.

Week 1
Week 2

I've also slightly altered the layout of the weekly scoring spreadsheets. I've changed the "Standings" tab to now be called "Scores" and the scores are separated by the skaters and goalies. This makes it easier for me to combine the scores in the season standings spreadsheet, as the goalie scores during each weekly spreadsheet include all stats through that week (not just that week's stats). I made a column for goalie score so you can see that as well, but the scores are sorted by just the skater stats for the week.

As far as the players go this week, Max Molholt came down to earth. Still a respectable score, the 10th best. Tim TebowGow led this week in fantasy scoring with 19 points and 19 shots blocked. Last week I noted that none of the 5M players scored in the top ten; this week, Aksel Thomassen was just behind TebowGow for the lead, and Thomas O'Malley was 3rd thanks in large part to his league-leading 12 goals. Mason Richardson was also 7th overall and the top fantasy defenseman, while Jerrick Poole was the 2nd best at his position and 11th overall.

As for the goalies, Callum Sinclair was able to hold his save percentage above the rest, actually getting as high as at least .930 at some point in the week before falling back down to .922. Blake Campbell could keep up, however, and is now fourth in save percentage and only won four games in the week. Hans Wingate and Ariel Weinstein (own percentage of 0 for both of them) both brought their save percentage up and are currently in the second tier of goalies. Greg Clegane stayed pat and Bernie Gow is making his way into respectable territory.