GM player

boubabi

It's a weird idea, it solves a cap situation but at what cost? As in, a GM is decently active but not a grind whore like you Boubabi. So you get the better end of the stick in this deal then. Because your saving $5Mill in cap while that GM maybe saves $3. It's already hard enough that by virtue of having a overly active TPE style GM those teams get basically a free 1000 TPE player. Should that just become the norm for every GM in the league? If that is the case then we are creating a bigger parity gap between the value of high end TPE players and the value of middling TPE players.

Which is a big reason we have so much league parity right now, and why so many teams can't repeat/we've seen a lot of different Cup winners. Because middling players and welfare players make a bigger difference. More rules to limit that could see more people just leave. 

so much parity right now ? lmao

the EU had parity because 2 GMs made some absolute errors. The NA is still not near to be fair and most team can't have a decent roster and still bust the cap. (because S40 players are now causing problems for the whole league)

So finally, our best year in term of recruiting only shows us that the league can't "afford" tons of new players, is that what's up ?.

Edited by boubabi

like a GM can name some else, get traded and sign back to his original team (free agency) and return as a GM

does anyone does that though ? 

Edited by boubabi

Like lets say I have Reencarnacion at 700 TPE and Von Braxton is at 200.

I can name him GM, do all of the work for him (he doesn't have to trade me either since Reencarnacion wasn't created as a GM), and then if need be I can take it back once my guy is worth more.

Basically the GM should be the highest paid player every time, or the team is mis-managing the cap.

Count me out.

I don't like this idea because it makes no sense at all.

Of course you should have to manage your cap, and not updating is a stupid workaround that we shouldn't be catering to prevent. What's the difference between being a 1000 TPE GM and only being able to afford a 500 TPE player vs. limiting yourself to 500 TPE so you can afford a 1000 TPE player? That's part of the salary cap game.

The only thing this suggestion says to me is, "We should be able to have more 1000 TPE players on our rosters." Even if we should, free GM players isn't really the solution IMO. At best it's a fun gimmicky wild card twist to managing a team. If the salary cap is too restrictive and/or inappropriate for the time we live in, then it simply needs to be raised. And I'm not saying it does. On the surface it seems to be working out just fine. Though maybe I'm wrong, I can't say I've thoroughly looked into it lately.

I forgot, whats the issue behind not having GMs goto their own teams for free? Because some other team may hold them hostage by not playing them? Spying in their LR?

In what context. If they appoint a new GM who isn't in their organization or that they get the new player the GM created while in the organization?

• Head Moderator

I forgot, whats the issue behind not having GMs goto their own teams for free? Because some other team may hold them hostage by not playing them? Spying in their LR?

In what context. If they appoint a new GM who isn't in their organization or that they get the new player the GM created while in the organization?

Oh sorry, I meant like not having the GM player be attached to the GM's team. Wouldn't this thread be a non-issue if basically a GM's player was just treated like any normal player and had to be drafted?

Oh sorry, I meant like not having the GM player be attached to the GM's team. Wouldn't this thread be a non-issue if basically a GM's player was just treated like any normal player and had to be drafted?

Whether the team goes and gets a new GM elsewhere or has one in their organization actually has little to do with what the OP says. He is saying the GM player just comes off the books. Wouldn't matter if they had to draft the player or not, he is solely talking about salary cap.