Atleast 153 killed in Paris terror attacks

BluObieZ

I know for a fact I don't plan on going out and destroying the world just because an avatar has been removed from a profile. I would assume people are bigger than that.

So do I, it's just hypocritical (for most person). If they want to follow the mass, good for them.

Not exactly. You are implying someone changing their avatar on Facebook is basically lying to the masses that they care about these things. I know plenty of people who actually didn't know about the other attacks elsewhere. It's not that they selectively went blind to them, but they just didn't have the news flash up in their face. Following the masses is harsh. That's finding a negative in a movement that people do want to help out in whatever way they can.

If an avatar bugs people, they may need to rethink their attachment to social media.

No I don't, I just find that fucking dumb. They can do whatever they want, and I can have whatever opinion on it too. They could care, like I do, about the thing. But it doesn't explain why they aren't acting the same for the everyday's violence that's going through the world. If you want to spread a love and peace through a facebook avatar, good for them, but I don't think that's how it's done.

People won't go look at the news to see those things, they won't inform themselves much after today about the subject, they will just do the thing because everyone else is doing it. Guess what. news talk everyday about horrible stuff that is happening in the world, if people really care, they would have gone through the same "public publicity" process. Now, it's a just a way to whore the likes on some page and getting some attention. Guess what, that peace sign with the Eiffel tower in the middle, I already saw it 500698585 times, thank you for sharing. 

Edited by boubabi

I won't send prayers because I don't believe in that shit. I won't send thoughts because I don't believe in that shit either. I know no one who's being directly affected by this. So why those people should get more attention than those Syrians ? Or Palestinians ? because they aren't our "allies" ? I don't believe in that either, a human life is a human life, no matter what. Yes, it's horrible, but it doesn't deserve that much attention on the social network compared to other things. 

No I don't, I just find that fucking dumb. They can do whatever they want, and I can have whatever opinion on it too. They could care, like I do, about the thing. But it doesn't explain why they aren't acting the same for the everyday's violence that's going through the world. If you want to spread a love and peace through a facebook avatar, good for them, but I don't think that's how it's done.

People won't go look at the news to see those things, they won't inform themselves much after today about the subject, they will just do the thing because everyone else is doing it. Guess what. news talk everyday about horrible stuff that is happening in the world, if people really care, they would have gone through the same "public publicity" process. Now, it's a just a way to whore the likes on some page and getting some attention. Guess what, that peace sign with the Eiffel tower in the middle, I already saw it 500698585 times, thank you for sharing. 

I agree to a point, but if you don't like them just unfollow the people. If it ticks you off that much that is. It is your right to hate seeing stuff like that, it is their right to share what they feel is important. It doesn't make you any less of an individual and it doesn't make them any less of an individual. Much like how it is your opinion, it is also their opinion as well that it matters.

It's free will to choose what you find yourself agreeing with whether it's on social media or life, but just know you have to pick and choose where you can pipe up and say things and where you can't. I won't go to a battered women's shelter and start talking about how terrible rape is; because although those women probably agree, it's not what they want to hear at that moment.

It may not deserve the attention it gets, but once again that is just your opinion and not something shared collectively upon man kind.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those families affected. Evil is such a tough thing to deal with in the world. Despite the fact that the amount of people that exist that possess the mindset to do some of these crazy acts are so limited, it doesn't take much of them to get together to cause destruction on such a large scale that it gets us riled up, and pushes us to extremes we normally aren't comfortable going to.

It's tough though, because that is what people like this want. They want to push you to the edge of retaliation, they want war, they want chaos. We are better than that, and we need to continue to remind ourselves of that. When they take family members away, don't get angry at them...pity them. The very fact that they can take important people away from us is our strength over them. Because we have important people and values in our lives. We care more about our lives, our families, our values, than harming other people. 

Anyways, France will recover, they are a strong people. Those responsible will be caught eventually too, even Bin Laden got caught eventually. 

• Admin

Over the past decade/half-decade there has been growing support for right wing groups around Europe and France probably has the most volatile situation in that respect due to their largest Muslim population in the EU. The Front National, a very anti-immigration etc party, is 2nd/3rd in their polls and I can only see that growing before their 2017 elections. There's also quite a bit of popularity for that stance here in the UK, in the Netherlands, Italy, certainly Eastern Europe, and we saw the reaction to refugees in many places. Incidents such as these will only fuel that sentiment and I can't see anything but a return to the 1930s in the near future, except it won't be Jews who are the target.

Terrible events, I've been to Paris a few times, know people who travel there regularly. Don't feel in danger personally but they could really strike anywhere and I occasionally need to go to London in rush hour - always something in the back of your mind with the recent history. I'm afraid we're heading towards some dangerous times.

Some of the incidents yesterday were outside the stadium where France were playing Germany in a friendly. Next year France hosts Euro 2016 and I have to feel the atmosphere could be very tense then.

I kind of ignored this as it was happening, because as Robbie kind of alluded to, news is often bullshit sensationalism. But reading about the aftermath today made me really sad. Heart goes out to all the victims and heroes of such a horrible event.

• Head Moderator

Aside from all the media spins on anything and the rhetoric from the government, the fact that 150+ innocent lives were lost in such a tragic fashion is enough to make anyone stop and think. I mean natural disasters like floods or earthquakes are tragic but most times we can't do anything about it.

This is human vs human violence, a choice made by some to harm others. Makes me think what the fuck is wrong with us humans.

Unfortunate though that it is unlikely the West does anything major in response. Sure they will send our more airstrikes or whatnot, bring more ordinance. But this war I feel isn't going to be won by airpower and ISIS probably knows this, doesn't even seem like they are afraid of retaliation because they know the west is too scared to put boots on the ground to fight them head on (in which case they could spill more westerner blood).

Edited by tfong

Unfortunate though that it is unlikely the West does anything major in response. Sure they will send our more airstrikes or whatnot, bring more ordinance. But this war I feel isn't going to be won by airpower and ISIS probably knows this, doesn't even seem like they are afraid of retaliation because they know the west is too scared to put boots on the ground to fight them head on (in which case they could spill more westerner blood).

That's so not true. Their are boots on the ground over there, albeit not in as large of numbers as one would think to fight them. However, the groups that are fighting them aren't no mickey mouse club.

• Senior Admin

Over the past decade/half-decade there has been growing support for right wing groups around Europe and France probably has the most volatile situation in that respect due to their largest Muslim population in the EU. The Front National, a very anti-immigration etc party, is 2nd/3rd in their polls and I can only see that growing before their 2017 elections. There's also quite a bit of popularity for that stance here in the UK, in the Netherlands, Italy, certainly Eastern Europe, and we saw the reaction to refugees in many places. Incidents such as these will only fuel that sentiment and I can't see anything but a return to the 1930s in the near future, except it won't be Jews who are the target.

Terrible events, I've been to Paris a few times, know people who travel there regularly. Don't feel in danger personally but they could really strike anywhere and I occasionally need to go to London in rush hour - always something in the back of your mind with the recent history. I'm afraid we're heading towards some dangerous times.

Some of the incidents yesterday were outside the stadium where France were playing Germany in a friendly. Next year France hosts Euro 2016 and I have to feel the atmosphere could be very tense then.

And as we see the past few days, there have been several US Governors who have flat out said no refugee's will enter their borders. Plenty of people feel the same way here, in fact the Saskatoon Premier said something too, although I think he was more so just saying that Trudeau shouldn't be running around saying he's bringing in 25k refugees by the end of the year for the sake of his own image when there is a legitimate security thread to bringing them in and thus shouldn't be rushed based on campaign promises.

In any event, Trudeau looks like a real pussy pulling the airstrikes imo.

And as we see the past few days, there have been several US Governors who have flat out said no refugee's will enter their borders. Plenty of people feel the same way here, in fact the Saskatoon Premier said something too, although I think he was more so just saying that Trudeau shouldn't be running around saying he's bringing in 25k refugees by the end of the year for the sake of his own image when there is a legitimate security thread to bringing them in and thus shouldn't be rushed based on campaign promises.

Yes because air strikes never accidentally kill innocents. He got rid of it because it isn't an effective way to  stop minority militant groups that hide in caves. 

• Senior Admin

Yes because air strikes never accidentally kill innocents. He got rid of it because it isn't an effective way to  stop minority militant groups that hide in caves. 

That's a good point, but I think a lot of people will look at it poorly in the wake of what happened and with the rest of the coalition ramping up efforts. And as good as humanitarian and training aid is, it isn't a particularly effective way of stopping militant groups that hide in caves either.

• Admin

Going back to my point about the friendly, tonight friendlies were cancelled in Belgium (a day in advance I think) and in Germany literally 2 hours before the game because of a bomb threat. Germany of course being evacuated from their hotel in Paris before the game against France the other night.

The day after Paris, one of two Gatwick airport terminals over here was evacuated too. I'm not sure if there were real threats or just some fucked up people getting a kick out of this situation but things are not pleasant.

Going back to my point about the friendly, tonight friendlies were cancelled in Belgium (a day in advance I think) and in Germany literally 2 hours before the game because of a bomb threat. Germany of course being evacuated from their hotel in Paris before the game against France the other night.

The day after Paris, one of two Gatwick airport terminals over here was evacuated too. I'm not sure if there were real threats or just some fucked up people getting a kick out of this situation but things are not pleasant.

Yeah the evacuation today was because an attack was pending by using a stadium verified vehicle to get in (in this case an Ambulance) but also Security trucks, TV trucks were also of worry. They found explosives in a dressed up Ambulance. Pretty scary stuff

Yeah the evacuation today was because an attack was pending by using a stadium verified vehicle to get in (in this case an Ambulance) but also Security trucks, TV trucks were also of worry. They found explosives in a dressed up Ambulance. Pretty scary stuff

But they didn't though.

But they didn't though.

Didn't get in? No they were stopped outside the stadium.

But they didn't though.

There was no Ambulance filled with explosives. Or any explosives found for that matter.

Yeah, the bit about explosives in ambulances and whathaveyou were all just rumours. Mind you, authorities were pretty tight lipped about the whole thing. All we know is that they received a last minute piece of "evidence" that resulted in the evacuation. They didn't go into the why who what where at all. Anything else you hear is probably pure speculation/rumour.

But they didn't though.

There was no Ambulance filled with explosives. Or any explosives found for that matter.

That's not what I heard/saw. I heard they had even found explosives in a luggage piece on Robert-Enke-Straße

But they didn't though.

That's not what I heard/saw. I heard they had even found explosives in a luggage piece on Robert-Enke-Straße

Yeah, the bit about explosives in ambulances and whathaveyou were all just rumours. Mind you, authorities were pretty tight lipped about the whole thing. All we know is that they received a last minute piece of "evidence" that resulted in the evacuation. They didn't go into the why who what where at all. Anything else you hear is probably pure speculation/rumour.

But they didn't though.

Strange...well a threat is a silver lining then considering I heard many reports (from actually credible news agencies) say they had found stuff. They get a negative review from me on this.