DDOS ATTACK

sterling

Guest Squinty

Don't DDoS attacks have a lifetime limited to the resources and time of whoever's running it though? If that's the case, then after a certain amount of time, they should stop and we should be able to go back on the old site. Or is that not how it works

Don't DDoS attacks have a lifetime limited to the resources and time of whoever's running it though? If that's the case, then after a certain amount of time, they should stop and we should be able to go back on the old site. Or is that not how it works

That's generally how it works, but from what little I've read of all this it sounds like what happened is the host took it down because it was under attack, and refuses to put it back up unless we pay the ridiculous protection fee because it's a "risk" on their behalf or some bullshit.

Also we can't really turn the tables on whoever did it because A. We don't have an idea who did it. Best guess is Eldred, but it's not like he left on the most extreme bitter terms. We had a reasonable PM convo on his way out. Also B. Even if it was him, does he have a web page we can break or something? How would it even work?

The only way it would make sense is if it was like, an SHL admin or something. And even then it would just be back and forth.

Although we should track down and beat up Spangle just for fun now that I think about it...

That's generally how it works, but from what little I've read of all this it sounds like what happened is the host took it down because it was under attack, and refuses to put it back up unless we pay the ridiculous protection fee because it's a "risk" on their behalf or some bullshit.

I understand where they're coming from on that stance, but the chances of it happening again would be slim to none unless whoever did it was really feeling like an asshole and burning through cash. Open it back up, let 3-4 max on, delete everyone else so that we CAN'T get on and let those 3-4 people grab what they need, get it transferred, and then the host can shut it back down.

• Commissioner

I understand where they're coming from on that stance, but the chances of it happening again would be slim to none unless whoever did it was really feeling like an asshole and burning through cash. Open it back up, let 3-4 max on, delete everyone else so that we CAN'T get on and let those 3-4 people grab what they need, get it transferred, and then the host can shut it back down.

Unfortunately web hosting companies aren't the most reasonable people in cases like this. I even suggested we assure them we'll set the site to offline so anyone who does stumble by it (be they attacking or otherwise) would think it's pointless to try. Unfortunately they aren't going for it. The best we can hope for is that the backup file contains posts and we can get them onto a different board for transfer. I'm weary on if that will happen or not though.

• 6 years later...