New Contract Rule

Mike

Having just read STZ's XM article about his player and FA it got me thinking.  In the NFL and I'm sure this is true in other sports there comes a time when you can't even negotiate with a player any more till the off-season.  I think it would be kind of cool to bring that into the VHL for the sake of drama and potentially cause a few more players to hit FA.

My suggestion wouldn't be dramatic but just something along the lines of once the trade deadline hits no new contract extensions can be signed.  Teams would still have the time in the off-season before FA opening to sign their FAs if they hadn't already or extend inactive players.  It could make the trade deadline just a little bit more useful too.

I'm not saying they can't talk to their players since can you really enforce that.  I just think it would be cool to have a period of the playoffs and end of the season where they can't sign the contract even if they do still talk to the GM about it.  It would make possibly a slightly more important trade deadline and also give us more to write about heading into the off-season about the few players who might go into FA.

Yes but its a league where you are here for fun, and part of the fun is to see if your team makes noise in the postseason. If you sign and then they fail to make it, now you are re-thinking.

I know that's the point but what I'm saying is their is two ways about it:

Guy doesn't re-sign before deadline because he doesn't know how his team will do, then he has the freedom to go anywhere.

Guy does sign because he thinks his team will do something, they don't and now he is stuck on his team for however long he signed. The league is supposed to be fun and if you tell a guy "Well you made the mistake of signing" it will discourage some people and they won't want to stay. I'm just saying we already have strict grading and other strict rules. If we become too structured people won't want to stick around, and let's be honest we are having a tough time getting more people attracted to our site.

Kendrick that last post to me sounds like you are arguing against being too rigid which is exactly what forcing someone into a contract the don't ultimately want to be in.  That sounds like you are for it but argue against it.

Kendrick that last post to me sounds like you are arguing against being too rigid which is exactly what forcing someone into a contract the don't ultimately want to be in.  That sounds like you are for it but argue against it.

No it's me saying that if you can't re-sign after the deadline then you are restricting players from doing what they want.

How many people have actually ever been re-signed between the trade deadline and the start of off-season? I really don't see this affecting many people or the fun of the game. 8O8 was right in saying we need more drama tho..