S47 Hall of Fame Induction

Victor

• Admin

Welcome to the Season 47 Hall of Fame induction! After a couple smaller induction classes recently, we're back with the traditional 2 Players and 1 Builder in this edition, so let's get right into it.

The 1st player inducted is a recently retired center who at his peak was one of the most prolific pure scoring forwards the VHL has ever seen. Despite a 7-season career, he finished in the top 40 career points list, with only 5 players ever scoring more points in less than 8 seasons. Aksel Thomassen will be remembered for his terrific attacking exploits with the Quebec City Meute, particularly his historically good partnership with last year's Hall of Fame inductee Bruno Wolf. Although Thomassen could not win a Continental Cup in the end, he helped bring both the Meute and later the Reign closer to it than many expected, and retired with a very impressive individual trophy case.

C - Aksel Thomassen, S40-S46 :que::rig:
504 GP, 278 G, 447 A, 725 P, +334, 272 PIM, 496 HIT, 175 SB, 49 GW, 62.71 FO%

S41 Brett Slobodzian Trophy
S41 Mike Szatkowski Trophy
S41 Alexander Beketov Trophy
S41 Dustin Funk Trophy
S42 Mike Szatkowski Trophy
S42 Alexander Beketov Trophy
S42 Mikka Virkkunen Trophy

The 2nd player is Thomassen's contemporary and one-time Quebec teammate in Jake Wylde. As has often become the case with the VHL's best defencemen, Wylde was something of a late-bloomer, being steady but unspectacular in his early days with Helsinki before breaking out as unquestionably the league's best with Quebec. Although also without a championship, Wylde ended his career with two Labatte Trophies, a sign of an elite blue-liner. Meanwhile, the combination of his time as a stay-at-home defenceman in Helsinki and almost a 4th forward in Quebec means Wylde's career stats look impressive both from an offensive and a defensive perspective and he fully deserves to be considered one of the best of his generation.

D - Jake Wylde, S38-S45 :hel::que::cal:
576 GP, 175 G, 385 A, 560 P, +167, 249 PIM, 2,001 HIT, 915S BSB, 30 GW

S43 Alexander Beketov Trophy
S43 Sterling Labatte Trophy
S44 Sterling Labatte Trophy

BOG voting:

Aksel Thomassen - 10/11

Jake Wylde - 8/11

-------------------------------

Felix Peters - 1/11

Now onto the Builder. It didn't take the BOG particularly long to come to a consensus on this induction for S47, opting for a former BOG member to receive the honour. Although his departure from the BOG a few seasons ago means he is no longer involved in behind the scenes discussions, CoachReilly has remained a vocal presence on the VHL and someone always willing to stand for their opinions, as has been the case since he joined the league in Season 16. In addition to the regular activity, Coach was one of the longest-tenured player updaters in league history, creator of two Hall of Fame players in Cam Fowler and Jarvis Baldwin, and of course the longest-serving VHLM GM ever, managing the Saskatoon Wild from S18 to S29. He did not overstay his welcome in Saskatoon either, also being the most successful VHLM GM and having the league's top GM trophy named after him. In recent time, Coach has recently stepped down as GM of Davos and remains the brain some of the VHL's most prominent players.

Congratulations @Frank @STZ and @CoachReilly

23 minutes ago, Victor said:

Now onto the Builder. It didn't take the BOG particularly long to come to a consensus on this induction for S47, opting for a former BOG member to receive the honour. Although his departure from the BOG a few seasons ago means he is no longer involved in behind the scenes discussions, CoachReilly has remained a vocal presence on the VHL and someone always willing to stand for their opinions, as has been the case since he joined the league in Season 16. In addition to the regular activity, Coach was one of the longest-tenured player updaters in league history, creator of two Hall of Fame players in Cam Fowler and Jarvis Baldwin, and of course the longest-serving VHLM GM ever, managing the Saskatoon Wild from S18 to S29. He did not overstay his welcome in Saskatoon either, also being the most successful VHLM GM and having the league's top GM trophy named after him. In recent time, Coach has recently stepped down as GM of Davos and remains the brain some of the VHL's most prominent players.

Y'all are just trying to make him forget he's mad at you!

Lol jk congrats Coach and the other dudes :cheers:

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Streetlight said:

Y'all are just trying to make him forget he's mad at you!

Lol jk congrats Coach and the other dudes :cheers:

The timing is pretty special, not gonna lie. At the same time, as much as I'm disagreeing with Coach at the moment, the fact he starts these discussions is a big part of his induction as Builder. So perfect timing actually.

Wow, that's pretty cool.

It feels kinda weird because with Wylde his whole career kinda felt disappointing. After experiencing Osborne and how almost everything went his way, it felt polar opposite with Wylde, and it really didn't feel at any point with him that he was a HOF player. I know his number were good, and on a game by game basis he was a difference maker. I'm pretty surprised he got in, and it's nice to see him get some recognition after putting in a lot of work to get his TPE numbers to where they were. So, definitely thanks for putting him in, pretty special to have both my players in the Hall!

No offense to the players who have been awarded HOF status here but I feel this was the season Szatkowski Jr. should have been put in.  I never campaign for my player into the HOF but I thought for sure this was the season for me.  I didn't expect to be a first ballot player but S44 1st year of eligibility 1 vote, 2 votes S45, and 4 votes last year.  This season not 1 and Felix Peters somehow got a vote over me.  Again nothing against the players who got in but I don't see Wylde so much better than me that he got 8 votes and I got 0.  I can understand the justification of Aksel Thomassaen (though I hate using less season logic they don't do that in the NFL thats why Terrell Davis isn't in the HOF you played what you played not what you could have done if you played longer).

Szatkowski Jr most games played ever by a VHL goalie.

8th All Time Wins

17th save%

15th G.A.A.

2nd Shutouts All Time

even penalty shot 16th among goalies who faced at least 100

won a cup basically same individual awards as Wylde

I could understand not getting in by splitting votes with Wylde and both missing but going from 4 to 0 gahh we're arguably in the same neighborhood of our peers at different positions (goalie/defense) and he gets 8 votes to 0 I just don't see that.

Edited by Mike

32 minutes ago, Mike said:

No offense to the players who have been awarded HOF status here but I feel this was the season Szatkowski Jr. should have been put in.  I never campaign for my player into the HOF but I thought for sure this was the season for me.  I didn't expect to be a first ballot player but S44 1st year of eligibility 1 vote, 2 votes S45, and 4 votes last year.  This season not 1 and Felix Peters somehow got a vote over me.  Again nothing against the players who got in but I don't see Wylde so much better than me that he got 8 votes and I got 0.  I can understand the justification of Aksel Thomassaen (though I hate using less season logic they don't do that in the NFL thats why Terrell Davis isn't in the HOF you played what you played not what you could have done if you played longer).

Szatkowski Jr most games played ever by a VHL goalie.

8th All Time Wins

17th save%

15th G.A.A.

2nd Shutouts All Time

even penalty shot 16th among goalies who faced at least 100

won a cup basically same individual awards as Wylde

I could understand not getting in by splitting votes with Wylde and both missing but going from 4 to 0 gahh we're arguably in the same neighborhood of our peers at different positions (goalie/defense) and he gets 8 votes to 0 I just don't see that.

1. Stat is skewed because he was traded, thus he got more games in. That's not something other goalies have control over.

2. It's impressive.

3. Great, but not HOF great.

4. Not too shabby.

5. A pretty good stat.

6. Penalty shot is somewhat of a stat not looked at.

7. They may have not voted for you because of the Awards ballot haha

3 hours ago, Mike said:

3) better go back and kick out some other goalies then from the hall

You can't retro actively kick guys out. You have to look at era and other things when it comes down to it. Jr. just wasn't really checking all the boxes off and it seemed to be a pretty cut and dry opinion.

• Admin

I voted Mike before but switched allegiance to Wylde because defence men get shafted by the league and Wylde was being judged on an unreasonable standard.

Mike's still on there. 8 votes to 0 may well mean, like for me, that Wylde was second and Mike was 3rd.