What Are You Listening To?

Kyle

Good to see this thread bumped again; now I can give you guys something else you probably won't care about.

On a jazz kick lately, check out the wonderful instrumental work in this video: 

To anyone wondering why a great solo turns into ripping the same three notes for over a whole minute, I don't know either, but there's a lot to like through the whole thing.

48 minutes ago, a_Ferk said:

We have this everlasting debate at work: Queen or The Beatles. It’s not even close in my books. Freddie Mercury >>>>>

I can appreciate some Submarines but not to the point of loving them over Queen.  

Why not both? Because jerks in the staff room decided so. 

I cannot ever get enough of My Son the Hurricane. 

Ask anyone, indie bands as a rule generally suck. Of course, each indie band‘s champion will defend them, but yeah. 

My Son the Hurricane. Local band from Niagara, ON, Canada. I saw them at a tiny local music festival (“Livestock, wooo, without a hint of irony 🤦‍♂️)  They fucking wail. 

They call themselves “the 14 piece brass beast” because, holy shit, they are a rap/grunge band that also features 14 different people, most of whom play crazy brass instruments. 

I fucking love them. They are my pump-up band now. I listen to them in the shower and rap hard af before a night out. They had a female singer join them for this album and all after, and they rock harder with her but not bad at all without her. 

My Son the Hurricane, 11/10 recommend. 

14 hours ago, bigAL said:

We have this everlasting debate at work: Queen or The Beatles. It’s not even close in my books. Freddie Mercury >>>>>

I can appreciate some Submarines but not to the point of loving them over Queen.  

I don't like Queen really. I only started listening to the Beatles recently as well

19 hours ago, bigAL said:

I would 100% choose the Beatles over Queen tbh

• 1 month later...

@Beaviss I very, very nearly put "Stabbing in the Dark" with Ice Nine Kills as Bo's favourite song in his trivia portion of the scouting report. I was going to say that it reminded him of how he feels every time he tries to shoot the puck. But decided to go with "We got the Moves" with Eskimoo Callboy for the egregious amount of German-ness on display in the music video.

Your 2021 Playback Soundcloud is what I listened to most this year. Both of the top two entries I didn't actually listen to that much. It was more that they were for artists who I felt got buried by the algorithm/who I follow on YT. So I ran their listens up until the algorithm "un-f*cked" them (at least LIZOT). Downside being that Soundcloud now thinks I'm German and keeps spamming me with really bad German rap...No good deed goes unpunished, I guess?

Honestly the main reason practically everything is relatively high pace EDM is 1) That and really shitty rap is just about the only things you can find on Soundcloud and 2) I use music as a coffee replacement. I'm one of those people whose pulse auto-matches the BPM of whatever I listen to. So I always have highish BPM music in the background when I work/play to stay alert.

But every once in a while I have to listen to some alt rock or metal. The absolutely epic 2013 Wacken performance by Nightwish has been seen/listened to more times than I can count this year. Other favourites include "Still Counting" with Volbeat, "I'm not a Vampire (Revamped)" with Falling in Reverse, "The Gathering" with Delain ft. Marco Hietala, "Digital World" with Amaranthe and last but not least the aforementioned "Stabbing in the Dark" with Ice Nine Kills. If I'm feeling nostalgic I'll go back to some "Hospital" or "The Bird and the Worm" by The Used.

I really do listen to basically everything, probably with jazz and soul being the most under represented by far. And more recently with VHL podcasts being over represented.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Check this out! I've known the song for a while, but had no idea he performed it all at once like this. As a musician, this is INCREDIBLE and I have no idea how he does it: 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/1/2022 at 2:57 AM, VattghernCZ said:

@Syth Do you know Bohemyst? The drummer and the guitarist joined Master's Hammer when Štorm decided to revive it for a few years.

Wasn't aware of Bohemyst but that track sounds pretty good and dark. I'll check out the album. I like that the lyrics are in Czech. I have listened to some Master's Hammer before. 

• 3 months later...