Claimed:Olynick's First Stop

AwfulHomesick

Future VHLM Draftee S36 Draftee Blaine Olynick speaks to VHL.com

by Bill Lumbergh

Zach-Fucale-4.jpg

TORONTO - Anyone not familiar with the young goaltender on the rise, should quickly start taking notes. GMs should start noting the progress Blaine Olynick is making as the next season in whichever city he goes to, and snipers should start noting where to beat the 6'3" stalwart in net. Starting his career with the Halifax Mooseheads and coming off a severe injury in his last season, accompanied by unflattering stats, Olynick declared eligibility for this upcoming VHLM draft. As a late declaration, Blaine is trying to get as much training as possible before the scouting combine in a few weeks, hoping to raise some eyebrows that weren't even glancing towards the youngster. Hailing from Toronto, Ontario, Canada, the netminder sits down with us today. 

VHL.com: Welcome Blaine, thank you for taking some time to talk to us. We'll start off right away with the questions. Any future VHLM draftee certainly has done their homework on their possible destinations. Have you done your fair share, and what can you say about the teams?

Blaine: Well of course you always have to look at the most recent champion team. The Ottawa Lynx certainly had and still have a strong team that pushed them to that title win. Mike Szatowski Jr. really had incredible numbers throughout the entire playoffs and that only sets an example of what a championship goaltender is made of. Of course, the runner ups are no team to ignore. They may not have the flashiest of numbers but they got hot when it mattered and their depth was the focal point of their push to the end.

VHL.com: After assessing these teams, there must be a shortlist in your mind of where you would like to go to.

Blaine: There's definitely some leverage for some teams, but as a goaltender of my age having this opportunity is nothing to be taken lightly. I'll go wherever I'm summoned and I'll try to bring my A game every night and make that place my home.

VHL.com: Yes of course, but what if you're sitting in the stands, and a hometown team such as the Ottawa Lynx call your name. Would it be a dream come true? How about next year's draft when you go to the VHL? Would the Toronto Legion be an ideal place for you?

Blaine: Well then in that case let's hope Mike gets sent up. *laughs* To represent my home city of Toronto would be any kid's dream come true. But as I said, any team in any part of the world partaking in this league would be ideal for me.

20100830-2010_skyline.jpg

Will Olynick be able to play in his own backyard?

VHL.comWhat are your preparations coming into this draft? Any offseason conditioning?

Blaine: Oh yes, plenty. With this new upcoming travel schedule in my career, I'll have to carefully plan out when is the right time to practice in a day. After meeting my team's training staff, the professionals will surely be a great help to me getting accustomed to a new training regiment.

VHL.com: One last question before we let you go Blaine. What would you like to accomplish in your first season in the VHLM?

Blaine: Win the Founder's Cup.

Content: 3/3 - Like I said, I doubt that you'll be playing in Ottawa next season, but I'm sure you'l find success wherever it is you end up during S36. You've only been here a couple of weeks, but you've already shown a strong work ethic and have been building up your TPE. Keep up the good work and you become a solid goalie for any team.

Grammar: 2/2 - Pretty good.

rise, should = rise should

offseason = off-season

Appearance: 1/1 - Solid.

Overall: 6/6

Content: 3/3 - Considering Ottawa has no picks in this upcoming draft, I doubt they will be able to draft you. I would love to draft you myself, but I'm not sure if you'll fall to the second round. Goalie is a very important position in the VHL, and if you keep up the activity hopefully you'll win a cup.

Grammar: 2/2 - Flyers got it all.

Appearance: 1/1 - Nice.

Overall: 6/6 

Final: 6/6