Euro 2016

• Admin

Squads starting to come in and I love international tournaments.

Some uhhh interesting choices for England.

Predictions anyone? I can't look past France's record at home tournaments and they've got a really balanced team. Germany has questionable full-backs and Spain seems to insist on starting Casillas and doesn't know who its striker is.

Just now, Victor said:

Squads starting to come in and I love international tournaments.

Some uhhh interesting choices for England.

Predictions anyone? I can't look past France's record at home tournaments and they've got a really balanced team. Germany has questionable full-backs and Spain seems to insist on starting Casillas and doesn't know who its striker is.

Which ones would you say are interesting?

• Admin
1 minute ago, Knight said:

Which ones would you say are interesting?

Delph, Rashford (although I think most expect them to be cut from the final 23). only 3 centrebacks, although Dier could count as one.

More than that I suppose it's just the lack of options. At least it's a really young team.

Just now, Victor said:

Delph, Rashford (although I think most expect them to be cut from the final 23). only 3 centrebacks, although Dier could count as one.

More than that I suppose it's just the lack of options. At least it's a really young team.

Yeah the argument for Walcott was he hasn't really played enough minutes, although since Christmas he's played double the amount of time that Delph has. 

Exactly, we need an infusion of youth in our National side. It makes sense to select Rashford over someone like Defoe given either will (surely) be cut at the final roster. Give the kid something to work towards.

Our CBs are unusually weak. we used to be overflowing with a wealth of incredible CBs but I look now and it's not convincing in the slightest. 

Still has very low expectations from our group, so it would just be nice to see the youth develop :drunk:

• Admin

I think it could definitely go either quite well or terribly wrong. I can see England losing to any combination of Russia, Wales, and Slovakia, and also getting 3 wins from 3. Or anything in between.

Yeah I mean even 4 centre backs wouldn't make it better it's just I'm not comfortable with any combination. Cahill-Smalling? Smalling-Stones? Cahill....-Stones *shudders* It's not Terry-Ferdinand that's for sure.

Yeah the loss of Lahm does make our fullbacks very weak. Considering even before he retired from International duty the weakest part about our game was whatever side Lahm wasn't on. Of midfielders and strikers will have to score at will to get past that. I don't mind our CB's though. Gundogan was left off so that was a surprise for me. Also Durm was left off as well.

• Admin

Yeah I thought Durm and Ginter being left off was odd. Equally Spain made an odd selection of strikers. I didn't expect Costa, so that's no surprise, but Aduriz and Morata don't seem to mesh with the style.

France seem to have picked a team that works which is why they're my early favourites but of course it's France so they could collapse inwards.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Green said:

Because the Dutch figured out a way how to lose games versus teams like Iceland.

to be fair, Gylfi Sigurdsson is a boss. but yes, i couldn't believe the Dutch bowed out the way they did though. 

so why belgium? why is this the team you will cheer for now that your team is out?

8 hours ago, StevenStamkos91 said:

to be fair, Gylfi Sigurdsson is a boss. but yes, i couldn't believe the Dutch bowed out the way they did though. 

so why belgium? why is this the team you will cheer for now that your team is out?

Eidur Gudjohnsen too, although that's more the nostalgia side of my brain kicking in again

Netherlands not qualifying might be the best thing for that program. It's a big shock when you include egotistical players with great skill and they can't work together. I say this even as a Bayern fan who isn't so keen on Robben.

• Admin
38 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Netherlands not qualifying might be the best thing for that program. It's a big shock when you include egotistical players with great skill and they can't work together. I say this even as a Bayern fan who isn't so keen on Robben.

Dunno, I think it boils down more to the fact that no matter how questionable their character, Robben, van Persie, and Sneijder are better than any current player and just haven't been replaced.

It's a small country at the end of the day with a famous past but not every generation can be successful.

20 minutes ago, Victor said:

Dunno, I think it boils down more to the fact that no matter how questionable their character, Robben, van Persie, and Sneijder are better than any current player and just haven't been replaced.

It's a small country at the end of the day with a famous past but not every generation can be successful.

They are better sure, but at some point it's gut check time and those guys will retire having won jack squat. If the program wants to succeed they need to include players who work well together. Sneijder is the definition of "egotistical" in that program.