Euro 2016

22 hours ago, diamond_ace said:

Exactly. There is no universal mandate across sports that requires liking all good players. It is entirely possible (common, in fact) to dislike a player while still admitting he is good at the sport. I freely admit he's good. I also point out that he is oversaturated in the media, to the point where Brazilian Ronaldo only ever gets mentioned in comparison. We can bring up other good players, Zidane for example, on their own merit. Brazilian Ronaldo never gets brought up on his own merit because of his newer, shinier namesake - like a rich guy trading in a wife.

This is just not true.

1 hour ago, Knight said:

This is just not true.

It actually is. With the way things are nowadays CR7 gets more exposure when you mention that last name. It sucks because he is a douchebag, much like Kanye and much like Lebron. They may give off a "nice guy" sent to you every once and awhile to fend you for for a few days, but they still lack any sort of modesty that keeps them in a "quality judge of characters" good books.

28 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

It actually is. With the way things are nowadays CR7 gets more exposure when you mention that last name. It sucks because he is a douchebag, much like Kanye and much like Lebron. They may give off a "nice guy" sent to you every once and awhile to fend you for for a few days, but they still lack any sort of modesty that keeps them in a "quality judge of characters" good books.

Anyone who knows anything about soccer and some of it's history will know who winner and 2nd all-time leading goal scorer in the World Cup finals Ronaldo is. Jason stated he never gets brought up on merit, which is unequivocally false. He may not be the first name off the top of your head when you say "Ronaldo" but what relevance does that have to anything? Yes, CR7 is more popular right now (and probably always will be) than Ronaldo is. And?

My point had nothing to do with the characters in question. That being said, I think Ronaldo's critics will look for any reason to dislike him which all seems so petty to me. I mean, let's be honest, does Messi receive the same vitriol for defrauding the Spanish taxpayers of millions of dollars? No, people have made their judgments ages ago and will now look for anything to fit their narratives and ignore everything else. Normally I don't give two shits what people think, but I do get somewhat offended when I see stuff like Boom's crock of shit that he posted following the finals conclusion. To absolutely shit all over someone who's contributed to one of the greatest sporting accomplishments you can get because you don't like the dude, is, as @Victor said, just a little pathetic.  

13 minutes ago, Knight said:

Anyone who knows anything about soccer and some of it's history will know who winner and 2nd all-time leading goal scorer in the World Cup finals Ronaldo is. Jason stated he never gets brought up on merit, which is unequivocally false. He may not be the first name off the top of your head when you say "Ronaldo" but what relevance does that have to anything? Yes, CR7 is more popular right now (and probably always will be) than Ronaldo is. And?

My point had nothing to do with the characters in question. That being said, I think Ronaldo's critics will look for any reason to dislike him which all seems so petty to me. I mean, let's be honest, does Messi receive the same vitriol for defrauding the Spanish taxpayers of millions of dollars? No, people have made their judgments ages ago and will now look for anything to fit their narratives and ignore everything else. Normally I don't give two shits what people think, but I do get somewhat offended when I see stuff like Boom's crock of shit that he posted following the finals conclusion. To absolutely shit all over someone who's contributed to one of the greatest sporting accomplishments you can get because you don't like the dude, is, as @Victor said, just a little pathetic.  

The main thing he contributed was free kicks that wouldn't go in if the net was 3 times its current size that allowed Portugal to remain one of the most boring teams in the tourney. :P

1 minute ago, .sniffuM said:

The main thing he contributed was free kicks that wouldn't go in if the net was 3 times its current size that allowed Portugal to remain one of the most boring teams in the tourney. :P

And winning the silver boot for being the tournament's second leading scorer (by virtue of his tie-breaking 3 assists), which he gave to Nani as a gesture of goodwill and appreciation for captaining Portugal to victory when he went down.

38 minutes ago, Knight said:

And winning the silver boot for being the tournament's second leading scorer (by virtue of his tie-breaking 3 assists), which he gave to Nani as a gesture of goodwill and appreciation for captaining Portugal to victory when he went down.

Probably the only 3 passes he made in the tournament tbh

1 hour ago, .sniffuM said:

Probably the only 3 passes he made in the tournament tbh

Ironically enough, I'm pretty sure I remember at least one of them actually being a scuffed shot attempt :lol:

9 hours ago, YEAH!stlemania said:

Ironically enough, I'm pretty sure I remember at least one of them actually being a scuffed shot attempt :lol:

It was to one of the Nani´s goals If I remember correctly :P 

12 hours ago, Knight said:

preach it David. 

• Admin

I'm no Ronaldo fanboy, and I hate both clubs he's played for since leaving Portugal, but what Knight said basically.

People complain about Portugal being about Ronaldo and then make their victory all about Ronaldo anyway. Talk about discrediting the team's achievement. Not to mention nothing in his behaviour in the final deserved any criticism unless you wanted it to fit your narrative.

Although to be fair I still hate the fact that Portugal won. Or that France were in the final.