Claimed:Brick Wahl Rookie Profile

Advantage

Rookie Profile: Brick Wahl

thumb_b0766661-2587-44e4-801c-0bfc13143e

Name: Brick Wahl

Position: Goalie

Birthplace: Red Deer, Alberta

VHL Status: Signed to the New York Americans

There were high expectations set for Brick Wahl going into his first and only season in the VHLM.  After being drafted second overall by the Saskatoon Wild, Wahl along with talents like XXX and Phil Villeneuve, were expected to carry the team into the playoffs.  The Wild would successfully make the playoffs with Wahl performing quite well finishing second in the league in save percentage while winning over forty games.  Unfortunately for the Wild, they would run into the league’s power house in the Ottawa Lynx, who despite Brick and XXX’s best efforts would trample Saskatoon in the five game series. 

Now Brick is moving on to the big league.  The Victory Hockey League is his next stop as he recently signed a three year deal with the New York Americans, worth a total of seven million dollars.  That is a huge pay day for a young goaltender from Red Deer, Alberta.  Wahl is expected to be the franchise net-minder and has a great chance at being one of the league’s best between the pipes.  While the competition will be tough as there are talents like Lennox Moher, Eggly Bagelface, Stan Smyl, Martin Brookside and Mike Szatkowski Jr., who are all still young, Wahl has the chance of being better than all of them.  

Scouting Profile

Recently the head scout for the New York Americans, Gunnar Rask, shared his thoughts on what attracted the Americans to Brick Wahl:

First of all, we really needed a goaltender going forward.  With a lot of talent coming in through these next two drafts, and with the development of Conner Low, this team’s most significant hole was between the pipes.  With Brick Wahl, we believe we have filled that position for the long-term.

Brick is a jack-of-all-trades goaltender.  He’s a large kid who has really excellent technique and reflexes for someone of his age.  I have been impressed with the improvement he has made in his lateral agility and his rebound control has improved dramatically.  We truthfully believe that he could become one of the best goaltenders in the Victory Hockey League.  He does everything well and just needs to master everything he has learned.  If he can do that, no one can touch him in the net.

TSN Analyst Craig Button also shared his thoughts on Wahl the other day, and made some pretty bold statements:

I think Brick will be the best goaltender in the league one day.  He just has everything and his confidence is incredible for a goalie so young.  He reminds me a bit of what Aidan Shaw looked like when he came into the league, and that is truly a special compliment to Wahl.  I cannot wait to see this kid play in New York, and I have a feeling he will do their fans proud.

Technique: 9.0/10

Athleticism: 8.0/10

Mental: 8.5/10

Potential: 9.5/10

Comparison: Aidan Shaw

Pros

* Technically Sound

* Strong Lateral Ability

* Confidence

Cons

* Needs Maturity

* Puck-handling

Will Brick Wahl win Rookie of the Year? It isn’t likely.  With the team he has in front of him, his goal will likely be just to put up respectable numbers.  However, give it a few years and I think he and the rest of his New York teammates might be bringing home some hardware.

Statistics

2012-2013: Saskatoon (VHLM) -> 41-22-9, 2.57 GAA, .909 SV%, 7 SO

2011-2012: Red Deer (WHL) -> 35-19-6, 2.42 GAA, .924 SV%, 6 SO

2010-2011: Red Deer (WHL) -> 37-17-5, 2.38 GAA, .921 SV%, 6 SO

2009-2010: Red Deer (WHL) -> 26-25-5, 2.96 GAA, .910 SV%, 4 SO

2008-2009: Red Deer (WHL) -> 17-18-4, 3.02 GAA, .903 SV%, 2 SO

• 2 weeks later...

Content: 5/5 - He's a brick...wahl. A good introduction to Wahl's career. Given who Wahl's player-agent is, there is a significant chance that Wahl will end up being one of (if not the) best goaltender in the VHL at some point during his career.

Grammar: 1/1 - Just two minor things.

Stan Smyl, = Steven Smyl

of being better = to become better

Appearance: 1/1 - Very nice.

Over 500 words?: 1/1 - Yes.

Overall: 8/8

FINAL: 8/8