Copa America Centenario Thread

3 minutes ago, flyersfan1493 said:

USA looks like it's 11 players who've never played together before. Nagbe should start over Jones, also not Bradley's best game but don't really know who a current replacement could be.

Jozy Altidore is still hurt correct? that must be a blow to the forward line 

Now we'll know how it felt to be South Africa in 2010 - top seeded by virtue of hosting, but completely outclassed by not only the rest of the top seeds, but three of the second seeds as well (Chile/Uruguay/Colombia). Ecuador aren't that great when they're not at altitude, unfortunately we couldn't draw them.

As for our group, Colombia will finish top so all we need to do is beat Costa Rica and Paraguay (or a win and a draw should be enough if Colombia get all 9) to advance. Then, we face Brazil in the quarters... then we lose to Brazil in the quarters. I think that's about the cap of it. Unless somehow Brazil manages to finish second in B?

18 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

Now we'll know how it felt to be South Africa in 2010 - top seeded by virtue of hosting, but completely outclassed by not only the rest of the top seeds, but three of the second seeds as well (Chile/Uruguay/Colombia). Ecuador aren't that great when they're not at altitude, unfortunately we couldn't draw them.

As for our group, Colombia will finish top so all we need to do is beat Costa Rica and Paraguay (or a win and a draw should be enough if Colombia get all 9) to advance. Then, we face Brazil in the quarters... then we lose to Brazil in the quarters. I think that's about the cap of it. Unless somehow Brazil manages to finish second in B?

Well the teams in South America/Central/North America are on level playing field as a collective while as Europe. What I mean by that is no longer do the USA face two superpowers from South America and then have no challenges. Now there are a good 8-10 teams from these regions that can play on the same field as European teams like Germany, Spain, France, England, etc...

I do question the Klinsmann firing though now. He never can take a team to the ultimate place but I also don't think he was ruining that program.

7 hours ago, Victor said:

Klinsmann got fired what?

My bad, somewhere in my mind I thought they had fired him. I think it's because I heard some mulling over whether they would keep him or not.

Hard for me to get too enthusiastic about this US team when Klinsmann overlooks players like Kljestan and Feilhaber (though he hasn't been great this season) and then complains that the US doesn't have a creative player in the midfield

I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!

Costa Rica pulling it out just barely, USA tops group A. Gets to face *probably not Brazil - either Peru or Ecuador pending results* in Seattle on Thursday instead of *probably Brazil* in East Rutherford on Friday.

Skip the fruit basket, Costa Rica gets all our fruit exports for a year after this

On 4.6.2016. at 8:22 AM, diamond_ace said:

Then, we face Brazil in the quarters... then we lose to Brazil in the quarters. I think that's about the cap of it. Unless somehow Brazil manages to finish second in B?

Somehow Brazil finishes third in their group lolololol. 

2 hours ago, hedgehog337 said:

Somehow Brazil finishes third in their group lolololol. 

Weird part is that coming into today, while Brazil were obviously favorites to win the group, it was actually easier for them to finish third than second.

6 hours ago, Victor said:

Apparently there were some handball goal + video replay fail shenanigans?

Yep. Clearer handball than Henry over Ireland, the refs stood and talked about it longer than a replay would have taken but they called it a goal anyway

7 hours ago, diamond_ace said:

Yep. Clearer handball than Henry over Ireland, the refs stood and talked about it longer than a replay would have taken but they called it a goal anyway

Yup. Based on the current rules, it was right to uphold the decision, but all it does is show how far behind soccer is when it comes to modernizing the game. Hell, even baseball has video replay at this point, and they only half screwed it up.

I tried to watch Peru- Colombia but the amount of playing for free kicks and stop-start play was terrible. Have other games in the tournament been like that. Second half was better but FFS, play some fucking football and win in regulation. Was a good attempt by James Rodriguez that hit the upright though.

So here's what I think USA should do vs. Arg - with Yedlin back and missing a bunch of Mids, moving Fabian Johnson up to mid (at least to start) is probably wise.

ALSO: Blue arrows are movement directions, red dashed lines are ball movement directions

usaarg.png

Edited by diamond_ace