Claimed:A Comprehensive Study on VHL Activity

ACTIVITY

If you have been tagged in this post, congratulations! You are one of the VHL's 91 active members! In this study, I have divided the VHL's members into three categories; very active, moderately active, and somewhat active. Anyone who who like to view the excel spreadsheet I created for the study can click here. In the spreadsheet, you will find that I have classified the VHL as having 27 people I define as very active, 43 people who are moderately active, and 21 people who are a little active. To find all the members of the study, I browsed through the update pages of each VHLM and VHL initially finding the actives and inactive by hovering over their username to see the last time they both logged in and posted. My ratings of peoples' activity was mostly subjective, based on how well I believe people drive activity. People who I rated as very active are high activity drivers who create lots of activity by posting a lot and daily, as well as possibly holding positions of high importance or that require high amounts of activity. People who I rated as moderately active are those may not facilitate discussion, but instead join in discussion if it occurs. These people post frequently, but probably not daily. These people range from anywhere to point taskers to welfare recipients and those who do both, they just have less posting activity than those deemed very active. Lastly, the somewhat active users are those who just log in and only post in welfare and tpe related stuff, but don't provide much activity around the boards. I divided users into the VHLM and VHL so we can take a look at both. 

822125009.png

VHLM

The VHLM players consist of 8 very active members, 16 moderately active members, and 6 members who are a little active. This totals out to an average of 1 very active member per team, 2 moderately active members per team, and 0.75 little activity members per team, for a total of an average of 3.75 active members per team. In addition, I have 6 VHLM GMs ranked as very active, 1 VHLM GM ranked as moderately active, and one open vacancy soon to be filled. This means that each VHLM team should average out to 2 very active members driving discussion, along with 2 moderately active members who would participate in the discussion from time to time. These are pretty mediocre numbers, and while not horrible I think we could do a lot better. If the VHLM were shrunk to six teams, it would average 1.33 high activity members per team, 2.66 moderate actives per team, and 1 a little active per team, for a total of 5 actives per team. Combine this with hopefully I very active GM, and I think shrinking the VHLM to 6 teams is the correct route to take as each team would then average 1.25 more actives per team. Additionally, one benefit to consider in the potential new rule of creating creating second players is the main people who will be creating second players are the very active members and the upper echelon of moderately active members, creating a lot more activity drivers in the VHLM. 

VHL

The VHL consists of 19 very active members, 27 moderately active members, and 10 a little active members, for a total of 56 active members. This averages out to 1.9 very active members per team, 2.7 moderately active members per team, and 1 a little active member per team for a total average of 5.6 active members per team. These numbers are much better than the VHLM's, as having nearly 2 very active members means 2 activity drivers, as well as nearly 3 members who still still participate in the discussion. Interestingly enough, I actually have more VHLM GMs pegged as very active than VHL GMs, with 6 VHLM GMs getting the very active rating compared to only 5 VHL GMs getting the very active rating, also with having less VHLM GMs overall. Luckily, there are no GMs rated as somewhat active, as they probably long ago would have stepped down or been fired. That ratio is probably what I would prefer though, as we need VHLM GMs to be very active more than we need VHL GMs to be very active because the VHLM requires more discussion drivers in order to keep the noobies interested, compared to the people deeper into their VHL careers who clearly are interested to stay this long. Ideally every GM would be very active, but I think the moderately active VHL GMs are still doing a decent enough job. 

i-love-you-all-132457945829.png

@Streetlight @Banackock @flyersfan1493 @Tixe @Dangles13 @eaglesfan036 @der meister @boom @solas @enigmatic @701 @Nonsense @jjdynamite @bukss_a @Digg @JR95 @Mr.Baller @RomanesEuntDomus @JPL @jack @hedgehog337 @Cuffy @Wasty @Paramorise @Quads @svb @Storm @nikkurri17 @Gregy @Ventas @Jala @Mr. Power @YEAH!stlemania @jRuutu @Victor @brovy @Draper @sterling @JardyB10 @ADwyer87 @StevenStamkos91 @tfong @Higgins @stevo @CowboyinAmerica @DollarAndADream @Molholt @Phil @Kendrick @Smarch @diamond_ace @CoachReilly @gorlab @Frank @STZ @Velevra @Glaciem @evrydayimbyfuglien @Tim @frescoelmo @atw2592 @Tylar @Knight @fever95 @gregreg @Beketov @Gooningitup @KingRobbie @Daniel @Toast @Green @Evans @Lunaro @Advantage @boubabi @Da Trifecta @Munk @HF92 @Mike @NUCK @Christmas @Kylrad @iRockstar @Individual @Jamie @Dmoushey_31

It looks like I missed 5 or so people in my tagging but it would take too long to go back and check the actives list and see who i missed

• Admin

Rumours of the VHL's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Still the same number of posts, with a few peaks and troughs, and still the same amount of members as in 2014. 

Room for improvement yeah, but still in as good health as we were 30-40 seasons ago.

• Senior Admin
2 minutes ago, Victor said:

Still the same number of posts, with a few peaks and troughs, and still the same amount of members as in 2014. 

Room for improvement yeah, but still in as good health as we were 30-40 seasons ago.

I agree completely. A lot of people seem to have this doomsday-league-is-dying perspective lately, but I haven't seen any significant decline between my joining in S37 to now. And when you consider the next 'prominent' first-gens after me were gorlab and eventually Ahma, we've gotten pretty lucky recently to have a lot of solid first-gens like Dwyer, Evans, Evryday, Daniel, ATW, Dangles, and probably more that I'm missing.

That is definitely not to say we shouldn't be doing more for recruitment, but the imminent death of the league is exaggerated by some.

5 minutes ago, Victor said:

Our recruiting is starting to help increase activity too.

The Adwyers, the Tims, the Evans, the Danglesfans, and the Banacocks are all startng to come in and bring their own touch to the league

3 minutes ago, tfong said:

But us welfare players don't contribute anything to the activity of the website! I don't understand! 

Neat read though :)

The people who only post in welfare and in no other topics don't really contribute much. The Tfongs who post in welfare but are also all over the boards and my chat buddy have a lot to contribute <3

I was always curious about this kind of thing. The league never seemed any more or less active then when I joined around S35 or whatever it was. Looks like that thought was correct.

I could easily be posting more as well, but sometimes I just don't have much to say on the topics I read so I say nothing and leave a like. :P

• Admin
15 minutes ago, Higgins said:

Research has proven VHLM contraction is best route forward

VHLM simmer and advocate agrees

or....

second players?

(also LRs at the bottom)

1 hour ago, eaglesfan036 said:

Our recruiting is starting to help increase activity too.

The Adwyers, the Tims, the Evans, the Danglesfans, and the Banacocks are all startng to come in and bring their own touch to the league

I'm touching everything and there is nothing you guys can do about it

If any of you remember S3 around the time Alex Watson went inactive/retired, you'd know that this current era is far cry from being doomed.