Jon Jones Removed from UFC 200

Shaka

622_f4bfc2aa-8c0f-3a3c-b896-9ae27cbcebe5

ESPN Link

LAS VEGAS -- Interim UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has been pulled from his title unification bout against Daniel Cormier at UFC 200 on Saturday, after the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency informed Jones of a potential doping violation on Wednesday.

UFC president Dana White announced the move during an impromptu news conference at MGM Grand Hotel.

Jones tested positive for a banned substance in an out-of-competition sample taken June 16 by USADA, said Jeff Novitzky, UFC's vice president of athlete health and performance. USADA administers the UFC's anti-drug policy.

A heavyweight fight between Brock Lesnar and Mark Hunt will now headline UFC 200, which takes place on Saturday at T-Mobile Arena.

Jones has the right to appeal any positive test. He has never tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, but did test positive for traces of cocaine prior to a fight against Cormier in January 2015.

Jones also served a suspension from April to October after his involvement in a hit-and-run accident.

Under the UFC's anti-doping program, which is administered by USADA and went into effect last July, a positive test for a performance-enhancing drug carries a standard 2-year suspension.

White said he'd like to find Cormier, the defending light heavyweight champion, a new opponent, but that would be difficult given the timing.

Cormier, who appeared next to White during the news conference, said he'd put in the work and would accept a new fight if the UFC could find one that "made sense."

Honestly, the Jones fight wasn't even one I was extremely hyped for. Sure, I was looking forward to it, but with Jones being away like he was, then having a less than stellar performance against OSP, my hype level went down.

Him being off the card doesn't change my opinion of UFC 200 at all.

5 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

Honestly, the Jones fight wasn't even one I was extremely hyped for. Sure, I was looking forward to it, but with Jones being away like he was, then having a less than stellar performance against OSP, my hype level went down.

Him being off the card doesn't change my opinion of UFC 200 at all.

No it doesn't. I agree with you that it doesn't change my thoughts that the UFC severely, royally, MASSIVELY, messed up with the Connor McGregor Nate Diaz stuff. That should of been the rematch at UFC 200 and we all know it. Just because Conor wouldn't do a stupid waste of time media session when his tweets garnered triple the hype the usual promotion stuff would of. I'm with you though Jones didn't look that great against OSP.

To be honest the main attractions of these nights of fights aren't something I'm overly concerned in. Sure seeing Lesnar again should be interesting, but it's the cards themselves that are stacked. Tons of champs, former champs, etc. 

9 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

UFC will still charge a healthy penny to see them. When something like this happens they should decrease the PPV cost, but they don't.

Reddit streams, they are your friend. I very much enjoy the UFC, but the thought of paying the stupid high prices they charge for PPV's is absolutely silly. The PPV model has been long since dead. UFC "tries" to argue the value of Fight Pass, but in reality what should be happening is the same thing with other sports. NHL finally adapted it. $100 charge (per year) for an online service that gives you access to everything with no blackouts. Gamecenter is like that in Canada now. If Fight Pass was that, pay $100 a year for access to everything UFC airs in a year. Fine, good, I"ll pay that. But $60+ for one event? Get out of here with that. 

7 hours ago, Mr. Power said:

Reddit streams, they are your friend. I very much enjoy the UFC, but the thought of paying the stupid high prices they charge for PPV's is absolutely silly. The PPV model has been long since dead. UFC "tries" to argue the value of Fight Pass, but in reality what should be happening is the same thing with other sports. NHL finally adapted it. $100 charge (per year) for an online service that gives you access to everything with no blackouts. Gamecenter is like that in Canada now. If Fight Pass was that, pay $100 a year for access to everything UFC airs in a year. Fine, good, I"ll pay that. But $60+ for one event? Get out of here with that. 

Lol I've been going to /r/mmastreams for like a year now. Such a great find.

Acestream is your friend.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Bye bye Jones. They better release him.

Well per rules he could be given a 2 year suspension anyways so the UFC probably won't release him, they will simply wait for the contract to expire while he is suspended. (Costing them nothing)

7 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Well per rules he could be given a 2 year suspension anyways so the UFC probably won't release him, they will simply wait for the contract to expire while he is suspended. (Costing them nothing)

He should NEVER fight in the UFC again

29 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Let his contract run out, then release him?

If he is suspended, he doesn't get paid by the UFC. Therefore they just let his contract run out. If a contract runs out, you can't and wouldn't be able to release someone haha.