Keiji Toriyama the new Tuvia Bielski

scoop

The once-promising Keiji Toriyama has been traded yet again and will be joining his fifth team. He is entering just the fourth season of his career, so he is still a relatively young player, but his progression has stalled during the past couple seasons.

The frequency with which Toriyama is switching teams is remeniscent of Tuvia Bielski, who spent time with, I believe, seven of the eight teams that were around during his playing days. Some of those teams, or at least one I'm sure, he never actually played any games with. In a similar way, Toriyama was sent to Calgary early this off-season, and has been flipped to New York more recently. Having not played a game with Calgary, Toriyama still spent some time with the team.

Toriyama started with the Bears and was traded to Davos, who signed him to an extension that included a $7 million salary in Season 36. That max salary could have been what prompted some of the trades because teams didn't want to be playing an inactive player such a large sum of money. From Davos he was traded to Riga, then back to Seattle, then to Calgary, and finally to the Americans, his current team.

The teams he has not played for include the three teams he least desired would draft him back in S33 (Quebec, Cologne, and Helsinki) and the three teams he most desired would draft him (Toronto, Vasteras, and Helsinki).

I'd have paid the 7 million for you, but ultimately a draft pick is better for a rebuilding team than a player (if anything, a good player with 400+ TPE is a hindrance) and NY seemed like they:

A- were going to be able to give you a better and more interesting season

B- were willing to take on players and move ahead of me in the standings, thereby giving me security of not falling as far if I don't win the lottery

C- if I'm lucky, they take on too many players, sneak into the playoffs, and knock out Seattle, making my S37 SEA 1st a lottery pick.

Desired most and least to go to Helsinki.

I was very interested in Helsinki for a few reasons, but at the same time I absolutely did not want to be on the same team as 701, who was on Helsinki at the time (or maybe he was traded shortly before the draft, I don't remember for sure).

Then again with progression the way it's been in his career, those least desired teams are probably happy about that.

Jason, If picks are better than players, why sign high TPE free agents?

Then again with progression the way it's been in his career, those least desired teams are probably happy about that.

to trade them to get more picks 

While I know TPE isn't everything, Kellinger and Tordahl are the only two players from the S33 draft that are heads and tails above me, but no one else from the draft compares to them either.

Edited by Hustles

to trade them to get more picks

I know that but ex. Larsson was offered a 7 Million dollar contract. Hard to ship that out at the deadline being that cap so high. It only makes sense if you sign them at their minimums. Edited by Kendrick

I know that but ex. Larsson was offered a 7 Million dollar contract. Hard to ship that out at the deadline being that cap so high. It only makes sense if you sign them at their minimums.

There's a reason for it. Might not come to pass, so I'll explain it to you in the chat rather than putting it out for the site to know, but there is a reason.

I'd have paid the 7 million for you, but ultimately a draft pick is better for a rebuilding team than a player (if anything, a good player with 400+ TPE is a hindrance) and NY seemed like they:

A- were going to be able to give you a better and more interesting season

B- were willing to take on players and move ahead of me in the standings, thereby giving me security of not falling as far if I don't win the lottery

C- if I'm lucky, they take on too many players, sneak into the playoffs, and knock out Seattle, making my S37 SEA 1st a lottery pick.

To be fair, B isn't really relevant since we have your 1st.  I guess you could say that's a good thing for us lol.