2016/17 Football Discussion

• Admin

Eh, might as well put it all in one topic so we don't have to go somewhere else for non-PL.

Transfer record broken, season's about to start. Predictions? Anything to watch out for outside of England?

Personally think Man City will win PL this season and quite comfortably. Although I think this before most seasons and it's never happened.

Definitely think Spurs and Leicester will drop out of top 4, replaced by United and I want to say Chelsea but I'm still cautious so who knows.

Can't wait for the season to start. Arguably the top 4 teams have strengthened themselves... along with Liverpool. Can't wait for Sunday's game against Arsenal and then the Monday Chelsea/West Ham. 

Feel free to join us in our Fantasy Premier League. If you want the Code, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

It's easy to jump to sweeping conclusions and say Mourinho is "finished", but I don't think that's true. I still don't quite understand what happened at Chelsea last season, but the two aren't linked. That was some revolt, this is different. Mourinho probably bit of more than he could chew - this United team is the worst he's coached since he started at Porto. Yeah, he's achieved great things, but also with already good teams. He hasn't had to build something from scratch since he got "big" so in that sense he's not finished, he just never started.

Anyway, moving on from that terrible team, pretty fun season it's been in multiple leagues. Some great title races, England and Spain particularly unpredictable atm. Years of underachievement make me struggle to take Spurs and Liverpool seriously but maybe I should. I do need to watch more of them (although I was psychologically scarred by that diabolical game between 'Pool and United on Monday).

Leicester to win the Champions League? yes please.

Mario Balotelli is back. Granted it's in the league where 34-year-old Zlatan was a god.

might need to make a few posts for my quarter-season thoughts...

• Admin

You know who might be finished? Ronaldo. Yeah, I went there.

I think he's pushed himself to the limit. Playing through injuries in both of Real's UCL wins + this year's Euros with Portugal (and I think the last World Cup too). The man has played football without long-term injuries for as long as I've watched football. He was fairly well-known at Euro 2004 ffs, you look at the players from back then and it's like a completely different world.

I mean, I'm going out on a bit of a limb here but I think at the end of this season he'll have much more human goal-scoring numbers. He'll be 32 in February and quite frankly I don't think anyone's been on top for as long as him ever. We'll have to see how long Messi lasts for context.

• Admin
2 hours ago, gorlab said:

I liked when Messi called the Valencia? fan who threw a water bottle at Neymar the son of a thousand whores. 

I liked when the Barcelona players pretended the bottle was a grenade...

iPBNiZP.gif

Mascherano and Suarez :rofl: