TV Show Discussion Thread

.sniffuM

4 hours ago, Molholt said:

Survivor

Same as Big Brother, these are my two big reality shows. I love survivor. It has so much history and so many elements to trying to play it and I love all of it.

2 hours ago, Mr. Power said:

I never was a big reality TV guy but my roommate got me watching some Survivor and I got into it. My issue from the beginning was always the ham fisted way they tried to say how "real" it is. But after seeing recent seasons I see now how it has evolved to basically just an extreme game show, and it leans heavily into the playing of the game aspect which I like. 

This is my main one right now. I got CBS All Access when I didn't have cable and it gave me the opportunity to go back and watch old seasons. Trying to get through them all now, then listen the RHAP audiobook that corresponds with each one after I watch. Up through Season 17 currently.

30 minutes ago, Molholt said:

I was sad when Frank left and haven't really felt like I have anyone to root for since then (loved him on his first season). There has been a ton of whining/crying that I don't tolerate very well. It seems like no one is really doing much, with everyone just sitting on their current odds. Some people have made some strides recently, but there are still so many people that I don't think are very deserving right now. 

is Frank the southern Asian? I don't watch but the woman and her family do so I hear about it from time to time

25 minutes ago, Smarch said:

is Frank the southern Asian? I don't watch but the woman and her family do so I hear about it from time to time

no thats James. 

also Molholt, i just feel that no one is there really playing the game. everyone was there for a vacation. and anyone who did play the game just got voted out

Just now, TheLastOlympian07 said:

no thats James. 

also Molholt, i just feel that no one is there really playing the game. everyone was there for a vacation. and anyone who did play the game just got voted out

James is a great man then 

2 hours ago, Smarch said:

James is a great man then 

James is the most frustrating player to watch in the game imo. 

I'm another Big Brother fan. I'm a big fan of Paul's game this season. Great social game.

I have a long list of favourites I'll have to type up sometime, but all of them have been mentioned here. I feel like Superstore on NBC is the next great sitcom. I haven't laughed that hard at dumb TV in awhile. Then again it's probably because I work retail.

34 minutes ago, Toast said:

James is the most frustrating player to watch in the game imo. 

I'm another Big Brother fan. I'm a big fan of Paul's game this season. Great social game.

I have a long list of favourites I'll have to type up sometime, but all of them have been mentioned here. I feel like Superstore on NBC is the next great sitcom. I haven't laughed that hard at dumb TV in awhile. Then again it's probably because I work retail.

I don't know if he's playing the game or just trying to end up in a real relationship with Natalie. I'll be curious if he's had a relationship I don't know about - like Corey and Paulie, which I feel like came out of nowhere from the editing. 

On 25/08/2016 at 9:19 AM, Mr. Power said:

10. Agent's of Shield 

wat. 

I was totally on board with this list until this one. I respect that people may enjoy the show, but to me it's completely terrible, and I'm shocked anyone would actually include it in a Top 10. Lackluster acting, imo, and a little too heavily cheesy for my liking. I watched the one season finale where Sam Jackson cameos, and I wanted to slit my wrists the entire final 20 minutes for how cringey the dialogue was.

Also HAVE YOU EVEN SEEN DAREDEVIL?? That show may be my favourite Marvel production ever, although I really enjoyed First Class (haven't seen the sequels yet). That show makes AoS look like a Bollywood Teletubbies. If you haven't seen it, watch it, then remove this selection from this list. :P

1 hour ago, JardyB10 said:

wat. 

I was totally on board with this list until this one. I respect that people may enjoy the show, but to me it's completely terrible, and I'm shocked anyone would actually include it in a Top 10. Lackluster acting, imo, and a little too heavily cheesy for my liking. I watched the one season finale where Sam Jackson cameos, and I wanted to slit my wrists the entire final 20 minutes for how cringey the dialogue was.

Also HAVE YOU EVEN SEEN DAREDEVIL?? That show may be my favourite Marvel production ever, although I really enjoyed First Class (haven't seen the sequels yet). That show makes AoS look like a Bollywood Teletubbies. If you haven't seen it, watch it, then remove this selection from this list. :P

Seen it. Shield is better imo. A few scenes taken out of context at the end of the worst season is hardly just worthy imo. You see serious growth in the acting and plot seasons later and season 3 has one of my more recent fav episodes of TV in a while. You have to be into the MCU and it's tone to be fine with some of the jokes and such, but I know tons of people who powered through season 1 with your type of reaction only to praise and love the show currently. That said I only rank it as high as I do for my own bias and because considering how the show started and what it is now is immensely impressive.

And for the record (hate to be this guy but:P) AoS, Daredevil, Jessica Jones and all the netflix shows are technically "Marvel" that is to say based in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the same one that houses the Avengers crew and the upcoming Doctor Strange. First Class and all the X-men related properties are still being made by Fox, until such a time as Marvel eventually gets them back to attempt to include them into the MCU similar to how they brought Spider Man back in by cutting a deal with Sony. Technically Marvel owns the rights to all the characters licensing, but before they decided they wanted to make movies on their own, they were licensing out their properties for films (Original X-men Movies, Spider Man Movies, Fantastic Four, etc.) It wasn't until the original Iron Man that the MCU kicked off (featuring Phil Fucking Coulson, which was the original reason I watched AoS since he is the most underrated side character of the MCU.) But the big thing that became great about AoS was it's balls to the wall pace, great villain, and amazing side characters played by very notable and not lackluster actors. Names like Edward James Olmos, Bill Paxton, Lucy Lawless, Kyle Mclaughlin just to name a few. But you can check the critical rating on the show in later seasons, it became quite the critical darling. Mostly because it's younger actors stepped up in big ways, and the show started focusing on how existing in the MCU effected them as opposed to the "villain of the week" aftermath of just dealing with lesser problems than the Avengers. That is all with great tie ins to the movies in some cases, with the tie ins to Avengers 2 and Cap 2 being the stand outs. 

Edited by Mr. Power

Oh I also feel shamed for not adding The Office to my honorable mentions list, maybe even in my top ten. Not always hilarious in the laugh out loud variety, the show manages to keep you rather gripped while still keeping you chuckling with a smile on your face. It also has way more heart than you'd think managing one of if not the best on screen romances in TV or film with Jim/Pam. I don't care how "gay" it is to say, there were some scenes with those two that gives you the feels. 

• Will pinned this topic

I am in the process of watching Buffy the Vampire slayer for the first time. I mean I've seen the scatter ep but not the whole thing. It's not awful, a little campy and very 90s but it has some highs. The plot can sometimes go to crazy unexpected lengths despite its villain of the week formula. I may have more thoughts as I get through it all. 

There's a Supernatural convention in Chicago this weekend and my fiancee was chosen to work it. I think I saw some of you guys mention that show as one you watch. I guess there's supposed to be photo opps for volunteers.

@Molholt @TheLastOlympian07

Edited by evrydayimbyfuglien

Right now I'm on a HBO binge, I'm not sure why I have Amazon Prime because it's average at best.

Lately I've been into...  Silicon Valley, Vinyl (if you are into music at all this is the tits), Ballers, Vice Principals, The Night Of, etc...

Westwood looks fucking boss, can't wait for that to come out.

Also clutch for random late-night viewing is Veep, Archer, Family Guy or Workaholics, in no particular order.

• 2 months later...

We need to get to Westworld by I just finished with both Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel. I'm very impressed with both shows, and both have actual episodes that I would put up there with some of the top TNG episodes. There is some production budget roughness around some of the edges, some timeline stuff associated with it coming out in the late 90's early 00's but for the most part both series are must watch from my viewpoint. 

They create a world, a universe, very well, and establish some very large themes around it. They are both laced with the type of Whedon humor you'd expect if you are a fan of any of his other work, and on top of that they manage to exist in a "demonic, witchcraft" style setting with Vampires and Demons without making it feel like a bunch of overly dramatic gothic bullshit. Some seriously edgy and funny stuff go on. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Senior Admin

Has anybody watched any of the Black Mirrors series on Netflix? Each episode is completely independent from the others with its own fucked up story and different cast. Trippy shit, can confirm the experience is enhanced by weed. Some episodes are better than others, my personal favorite so far is the one with Jon Hamm but they just released more episodes so I haven't watched those yet.

33 minutes ago, Draper said:

Has anybody watched any of the Black Mirrors series on Netflix? Each episode is completely independent from the others with its own fucked up story and different cast. Trippy shit, can confirm the experience is enhanced by weed. Some episodes are better than others, my personal favorite so far is the one with Jon Hamm but they just released more episodes so I haven't watched those yet.

I've seen everything except the Christmas episode and the final episode of S3. Great show. Always depressing.

• Senior Admin
Just now, Molholt said:

I've seen everything except the Christmas episode and the final episode of S3. Great show. Always depressing.

The Christmas one = the one with Jon Hamm. Really good. But yeah, pretty dark shit. 

On 8/25/2016 at 11:19 AM, Mr. Power said:

Top 10 of all time for me currently probably looks like this. 

1. The Wire 

Until you have seen it, and understand it you'll never know why so many put it top of the class. Universities teach the show around North America, it comes so close to feeling real, that actual education can be gained from it. But it's more than that. It manages to have a stellar cast of characters, problems, and pacing all inside of its lived in setting. I haven't encountered a piece of media as deep and rich yet. 

2. Breaking Bad 

Most people rave about the high stakes final season but for me it was all the hard character work done in the first two seasons that makes the later higher tempo stories work so well. The show is a good journey, and has a strong finish to wrap it up. 

3. Star Trek The Next Generation 

No show, let me repeat NO SHOW has a cast of characters and actors with the chemistry of TNG. It allowed the plot of the week format to work so strongly, because it was carried by a crew you could pretty much watch doing anything. There are certainly weaker episodes in its 7 seasons but there are about 5-7 episodes that I think stand as some of the single greatest episodes of television. On top of those highs TNG pushed forward a real idea of a larger narrative universe with themes and consequences, something we now see across all forms of media. 

4. Justified 

I struggled with this one a bit but ultimately felt that the performance turned in by Timothy Olyphant carried this show slightly above my number five. He becomes the character of Raylend Givens, and proves that you can modernise and give life to an old genre in the western. The fact that you still get strong side plots, a good strong villain played by the underrated Walton Goggins only adds to the experience. Like most good shows this one also doesn't overstay it's welcome and has a strong finish. 

5. Game of Thrones 

It's tough not to put this on a list at this point. For most Thrones stands as the piece of medium that got people on board with the fantasy genre. For me it came at a time when I was so burnt out on the typical high fantasy approach that it was welcome to see a very different take on it. The show has suffered some weaker storylines, and characters but its highs mostly in the form of specific scenes in certain episodes remain some of the most powerful, that land with such an impact that they become unforgettable. 

6. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia 

I don't have the same issue as a previous poster regarding the quality dipping in later seasons, quite the opposite actually. I feel the show and it's legacy get stronger each year mostly because the cast do such a great job with very character driven roles. The shows ability to skirt around major plot movement while still having a sense of narrative and consequences to the events allow them to have big moments while still basically ripping on the entire genre of sitcoms in general. 

7. Sherlock 

Led by one of the better actors in our time in Benedict, with a great side performance by the underrated Martin Freeman, the show modernises the Holmes stories brilliantly. It gets movie level performances from its cast and with only 3 hour and a half episodes per season it functions more like a movie anyways. The show manages good moments of all kind though, with thrills, laughs, tension and even some powerful emotional moments. It's editing needs to be recognised as the style allows the show to move at a sometimes frantic pace while still conveying a lot of info to the audience. 

8. Fargo

Differentiating my number 8 and 9 is the stronger second season of Fargo. Both seasons of this show stand out to me as the best of class in terms of the black comedy genre. Great casting, powerful performances and the uncanny ability to work what is sometimes ridiculous plot and moments into it's cooky Minnesota world makes this a must watch from me. If you haven't seen it especially since more than most on my list your hard pressed to find anything like it. 

9. True Detective 

Season 2 was trash but I still have to give this a nod on my list as the first season was simply sensational. While the unveiling of the plot was good, what carries that first season is the characters and things they go through to get them to the points later in the show. Everything is paced perfectly, and tied together in an excellent narrative format. 

10. Agent's of Shield 

I'll put this on my list because I can't not. As a avid follower of the MCU even when I don't think all the outings have been strong I was initially attracted to the show to see more of Clark Gregg's underrated Agent Phil Coulson. But as the show matured, and grew into itself I begun to see something that could stand on its own legs from the character work it was doing. Another staple of the show in later seasons was its ability to just push the pace and throw plot at the wall rapidly, which allows it to quickly move on if a specific story beat isn't the greatest. It's also highlighted by the best villain in all the MCU including the films. He's the most deep, intriguing, and complex villain Marvel has put on screen. 

Honourable mentions: Mr. Robot, The OC, Longmire, Portlandia, Longmire, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Narcos, Community, Whose Line Is It Anyway, Gotham

Since you mentioned Longmire, I feel obligated to point out that I know an associate producer of Longmire. She went to high school with me

In other news, for me the answer will always be Royal Pains. Interesting twist on the doctor show concept and it never really feels like a doctor show because it gets into the lives and motivations behind even the weekly characters, let alone the regulars. The transformation of Evan, as well as the way his relationship with Hank changes due to that, is just fantastic.

On 2016-09-07 at 9:53 PM, frescoelmo said:

Westwood looks fucking boss, can't wait for that to come out.

I'm about halfway through Westworld now, starting Saturday. It is indeed fucking boss. I can't stop watching because I need to know where all of it is going, which is scary because that's exactly what most of the central characters are doing. IT'S A MYSTERY THAT NO ONE HAS THE ANSWERS TO, NOT EVEN THE PEOPLE IN THE SHOW! EXCEPT ANTHONY HOPKINS MAYBE!

11 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

I'm about halfway through Westworld now, starting Saturday. It is indeed fucking boss. I can't stop watching because I need to know where all of it is going, which is scary because that's exactly what most of the central characters are doing. IT'S A MYSTERY THAT NO ONE HAS THE ANSWERS TO, NOT EVEN THE PEOPLE IN THE SHOW! EXCEPT ANTHONY HOPKINS MAYBE!

Hopkins is the tits in that show...  everything he says/does is badass.  

I'm actually really interested to see where this show goes in the forthcoming seasons.  It was a pretty solid ending. (trying not to give spoilers)

@Mr. Power A friend recommended The Wire to me and I'm almost done with the third season, I feel like it could honestly be a reality show haha.  So easy/fun to watch.

Edited by frescoelmo

10 hours ago, frescoelmo said:

Hopkins is the tits in that show...  everything he says/does is badass.  

I'm actually really interested to see where this show goes in the forthcoming seasons.  It was a pretty solid ending. (trying not to give spoilers)

@Mr. Power A friend recommended The Wire to me and I'm almost done with the third season, I feel like it could honestly be a reality show haha.  So easy/fun to watch.

I finished it all yesterday because I have a serious problem. It was indeed a solid ending, not many shows resolved more major plotlines than not when ending the season, so that was refreshing. I hope we get to see more of other parks too.