VHL Changes That Need To Happen [Reviewed]

Phil

VHL Changes That Need To Happen

But Probably Won't Because, Let's Face It, These Probably Aren't Changes That Need to Happen

5ac7a5a6-c1bd-4da6-a24e-1911984bd37a.gif

Here’s a list of changes that need to happen around the league in order to ensure the success of it. If you are like me then you will also know that although I am still heavily involved in the league, I do not possess the pizzazz or energy to implement any of this.

1.       Recruitment

Now I know I wrote an article within the last month about the two player role in which I implied that because of this new rule, we don’t need to be recruiting as hard, but that was all tongue and cheek. We need fresh blood, we need new members pouring in and doing more than just creating their players and never logging into the site ever again. @eaglesfan036 did a recent poll on the demographics of the VHL and found that most of us are in our mid to late 20s. That is the scariest thing I have ever heard. None, or a very select few, of us start at that age. We were either in our teens or early 20s, first-year university or thereabouts. It would actually be more useful to our “recruitment team” if they took the ages of when we all signed up in order to know which age-group to target. But for all I know, that’s exactly what he’s doing. Anyway, with no new members, the VHL will die.

2.       TPE Update Scale or TPE Management

Okay, I won’t go into this as much because I’ve already said my piece 30 seasons ago and more recently. But we earn, overall, as a league average, way too much to have any variation in player builds. It’s too easy for goalies specially to cap everything at 99 and there’s not player-building challenge or diversity. It basically for players boils down to whether you want your player to check or not. Big whoop. Anyway, I’m done with this discussion for now.

Bradley-Cooper.gif

3.       Job Management / Organization

I think it’s incredible the amount of work that @Draper @Higgins @JardyB10 and countless other members who still hold important jobs around the league put in, but I noticed that this off-season was a particularly disorganized affair. The VHLM was all over the place, starting before GMs had sent in lines, before the VHL season began, and most shockingly, before players and rosters were even updated, resulting in a Goalie playing forward for a couple of games. This was probably a result of time constraints and a lack of man-power, but still there was no need to rush the start of the season.

The second part of this was the reddit recruitment campaign that happened during the off-season, when there’s nothing for them to do or check other than write material for their player. It was the worst time to do it and I’m not sure we got one single person that’s still around from it.

Lastly, we have the jobs. Theses seems all over the place. I’ve had to Update the VHL EU twice now because @Tim's gone AWOL. Of course real-life takes precedent, but we have to somehow stay on top of the jobs that are supposed to be done. Reviewing of Podcasts were backed up a month because only a couple people do it… but again there’s no monitoring of jobs and so until someone points it out (usually because they are being negatively affected by it) nothing is done about it. We are reactive as opposed to proactive.

tumblr_lo1cymSNmI1qlr140o1_500.gif

You know what’s the common theme here? We need to improve our member base. We need people to want to help out and take up leadership roles here. We need members trucking through with a player for a career and then disappearing rather than just after they create them. We need to give the admin and commissioners more support and that all starts with us getting more members. You better believe it. I know @sterling does.

The point of this article is definitely not to stir up shit. It's actually for the TPE, but there are so valuable words in here that we can discuss. So let's do it! I love this league so let's make it great again! #Trumpisms

1. That's why we hired the Recruitment team though, right?

2. Idk why we didn't change the update scale. Seems like everyone in the BOG was in agreement that we needed to change, but since we couldn't decide on what needed to change we just stopped discussing it?

3. Hey, im doing my part. Grader, VHLM GM, former World Cup Commish, and former VHL Mag writer. I already barely have time to do all this stuff!

On 07.10.2016 at 11:59 PM, Phil said:

None, or a very select few, of us start at that age. We were either in our teens or early 20s, first-year university or thereabouts

Is 22 years a realy 20s?

On 07.10.2016 at 11:59 PM, Phil said:

Lastly, we have the jobs. Theses seems all over the place. I’ve had to Update the VHL EU twice now because @Tim's gone AWOL. Of course real-life takes precedent, but we have to somehow stay on top of the jobs that are supposed to be done.

VHLM. 

I had a plan to apply, but I'm not a person who can do multiple sim league jobs for a long time (SBA updater right now). 

Review: 715 Words

#1 and #3 in my mind go hand and hand. We need more reliable people that care to do the jobs that need taken care of, and the even more scary thing to me is I don't see much in terms of people in the stable ready to take over. I hope I'm wrong but i've been trying to do my part around the league to keep up the activity and helping when need be. Uou have been the same, but what happens when we run the well dry fro people like you and kendrick ans etc

Grammar: Good work here and overall @Phil

• Smarch changed the title to VHL Changes That Need To Happen [Reviewed]
  • DollarAndADream locked this topic