Is Lack of Competition Hurting VHL Activity?

eaglesfan036

The past few seasons it was pretty clear to most people that Toronto was going to win the cup, as they were pretty much unstoppable for their three seasons with WinGod, dominating the regular season and playoffs. This year, most expect Calgary and Riga to be in the finals due to their free agency success, once again another season without much question as to who will win the finals. This is not meant to insult teams like the Legion or Express this year because they are good enough that they could defeat Riga or calgary in the small sample size of the playoffs, and perhaps anything could happen. However, the way I see it, Riga and Calgary likely will be the finals teams, keeping the competition stale for yet another season. Less competition means less rivalry (which will also be lessened by 2 player rule), and just a lack of excitement for all involved in the cup race.

8 minutes ago, boom said:

If it is, it's your fucking fault.

As a general VHL fan, I wouldn't be a big fan of 4 of the top free agents all going to one team. If that happened with any other team I wouldn't have liked it.

But me is GM and GM job is to win so what is a man supposed to do if he can sign such wonderful gentlemen for free

12 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

As a general VHL fan, I wouldn't be a big fan of 4 of the top free agents all going to one team. If that happened with any other team I wouldn't have liked it.

But me is GM and GM job is to win so what is a man supposed to do if he can sign such wonderful gentlemen for free

Let's be a little more clear: it's not four of the top free agents, it's four of the top players in the VHL. I'd say four of the top ten players possibly. But I agree with you; I only didn't like that it happened because it didn't happen for my team.

I do find it ironic that you are making this post lol.

i still think the whole two player proposal means less rivalry isn't true, and I could be on a team that loses every single game against you and still hate your guts.

27 minutes ago, Streetlight said:

Let's be a little more clear: it's not four of the top free agents, it's four of the top players in the VHL. I'd say four of the top ten players possibly. But I agree with you; I only didn't like that it happened because it didn't happen for my team.

Uhhhh not so true. My player was borderline top 30 before this season.

2 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Uhhhh not so true. My player was borderline top 30 before this season.

Perhaps when it comes to ranking players, you put more value into the numbers their putting up rather than their attributes. I know attributes aren't everything either, and the stats do have some indication of how good the players are, but it's also very situational. For example, Kendrick Cole is not better than Diana Maxwell just because he has better stats.

Or maybe you're focusing too much on "before this season," whereas I'm looking at it as "going into this season." And I'm not saying it's definitively four of the top ten players, but to just say that it's "four of the top free agents" paints a very vague picture of what actually happened, considering what free agency typically looks like in the VHL.

Again, though, I'm not trying to fault anyone for what happened. Yeah, I think it sucks. But if you had all signed with Stockholm, I'd be over there saying "this is great!"

2 hours ago, Streetlight said:

Perhaps when it comes to ranking players, you put more value into the numbers their putting up rather than their attributes. I know attributes aren't everything either, and the stats do have some indication of how good the players are, but it's also very situational. For example, Kendrick Cole is not better than Diana Maxwell just because he has better stats.

Or maybe you're focusing too much on "before this season," whereas I'm looking at it as "going into this season." And I'm not saying it's definitively four of the top ten players, but to just say that it's "four of the top free agents" paints a very vague picture of what actually happened, considering what free agency typically looks like in the VHL.

Again, though, I'm not trying to fault anyone for what happened. Yeah, I think it sucks. But if you had all signed with Stockholm, I'd be over there saying "this is great!"

Tell that to the GM's who somehow when given the ballot for awards still vote for inactive scrubs on weak teams who only have good stats because of their shitty teams. /End Rant

But yes i agree with you to a point. However, there were about 7-8 free agents who were pretty shape shifting this off-season in regards to what influence they have on the future. If we had all split up, there would be no guarantee any of us win a cup. Whereas now we don't have one, but we have a good shot at it. Plus for all those faulting myself or anyone else for signing, think about how long I've been in this league and how often I have been loyal to teams. I want to win, that's the name of the game.