Award voting

Jericho

The day after I come back and I'm already here to mix things up.

Something that bugged me toward the end of my time here last time that I was too inactive to bring up. Award voting is something that I don't think the GMs need to be doing anymore. There is a lot of bias that way and we've seen some shennanigans in the past (obviously I'm not sure how recent).

Make it done by the BoG. They already do the HoF voting and from my experience as a BoG member back in the day they tend to be a little more free of bias. There's also accountability that way. If I recall correctly the GMs just submit a PM and there's nothing to it, where the BoG tend to have discussion and such.

Just something to think about.

• Senior Admin

BOG needs a major re-tooling before we start adding more responsibilities to it, but I've always been on board with doing award voting either in the BOG or in a separate, smaller awards committee. I'd probably prefer the separate committee with 5-6 people who know they're stuff. 

20 minutes ago, Molholt said:

Serious question: Do we have enough active, reliable, unbiased people for there to be 8 GMs, ~8 BoG members and then 6 separate Awards Committee Members, assuming no overlap?

Overlap should be irrelevant if the candidates in question are people we agree to be truly unbiased and reliable. That is the thing, it shouldn't automatically matter that there is crossover. I mean you would have to figure Blue Team would also be eligible to participate on an award committee for example. 

This idea though Jericho has been floated several times, and despite some support nothing really has been done with it. We've had discussions about how needed it actually is, and how often biased voting comes into play. But I know both @Advantage and I have said on several occasions that a Committee would probably be useful just given the number of times we've had issues or someone who deserved an award split it, or lost by one vote because of someone from Calgary always voting their own players... :P 

But it is seriously something we should consider. I'm sure it could even be as simple as creating a thread in Job Interviews, notifying those involved that there would be no pay but you'd be signing up and the BoG/Blue Team could vote in a six or eight depending on the number we need based on the sign ups of interests. Could even add in the interview thread that applicants should list why they feel they'd be a good fit, and answer a few questions to give the BoG/Blue Team enough to go on. 

Keep in mind I was going off year and a half old information. I just remember a few old examples, like when Bash voted for his inactive player for the Labatte and it cost Higgins his chance at sharing one with Braxton, or when Greg once said "I will never vote for a New York Player for an award no matter what". (Not to call Greg out on old stuff, but I missed the better part of ten seasons and that was the most recent example I could think of).

GM lives matter, but it can literally be beneficial to them to vote biased. If they have a player heading to free agency they may do it to try and keep them around, or someone may hold a grudge if their GM doesn't vote for them. They may not even do it intentionally, but it happens.

When I said it should go to the BoG I was assuming that it was still the same thriving force it was when i departed. I remember HoF voting was really well done at the time and felt very fair. If that is no longer the case then maybe a seperate comitte would be better if we have the members to support it. But having the GMs do it I think simply won't do.

Ive always supported the BOG or an Awards Committee doing it.  GMs often get a little too wrapped up in their players (I know I have) and it can often lead to bias.  I have also seen many GMs who just dont pay attention cause their team is rebuilding and then they just lazily throw names up (ive seen it cost people awards).  I feel this could certainly be solved and I say that as a GM.

1 minute ago, Kendrick said:

It would eliminate all those times Boubabi voted to spite certain players instead of lacking a unbiased bone in his body. But yes i agree a committee and because Im unbiased I shall head the committee 

If watching Victor as Administrator has taught me anything you should just announce a committee with you as the head and your appointed committee and let the league deal with it. :P

2 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

If watching Victor as Administrator has taught me anything you should just announce a committee with you as the head and your appointed committee and let the league deal with it. :P

We can do that?

Why have we not done that?

1 minute ago, Kendrick said:

Okay I have appointed my team:

Kendrick, @Mr. Power, @DollarAndADream, @Jericho, @ADwyer87 and @Phil

All unbiased, on different teams for the most part and none are GM's. Plus we get rid of any GM bias

I thought knowledgeable was a requirement? That rules me out :P 

32 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

I thought he stepped down? Maybe he got hired again and then stepped down again? Hard to track him because he steps down and gets hired every 2 season.

He is out, in his place is @evrydayimbyfuglien

NY GM S30-32, Cologne GM S41-45, now NY GM S51- not that complicated math wizard.