2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

Not only is it a slap in the face but I find Ference kind of two face. Tells the media one thing and says something different to his buddies. Not in the normal way athletes do it, but sort of a backstabber. He also flipped the bird to the camera and then denied it even though it was clear as day. Doesn't really look to be the classy, veteran type they look for. But hey Oilers have been tanking for awhile so we will give them a break

Who is captain is one of the most overrated meaningless things in hockey.

Ference was chosen because the old school types don't like that Taylor Hall actually shows emotion on the ice (just like people didn't like when Toews got mad during the playoffs).  Ference will be the captain for a few years until the core of the young guys have really taken over the league and then things will be different.  

At the end of the day decisions like this have almost zero bearing on how well a team will do.

People don't like the emotion and they gave the C to Crosby?

Crosby could murder someone on the ice and he'd still be captain.  When you score the gold medal winning goal, dominate the league, come from small town Canada, and do Tim Horton's commercials, you're an NHL god.

Was really hoping Shinkaruk and Horvat would stick, but oh well. Hunter will probably be ready next season and another trip to the Mem Cup will only do good things for Bo. I'm more disappointed that Corrado is stuck in Utica because of contract BS, he was head and shoulders better than Weber and Alberts (especially AHLberts) in the preseason. The kid's a stud, he should've been on Team Canada for the WJC last year.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Higgins - Kesler - Burrows

Booth - Santorelli - Hansen

Richardson - Dalpe - Weise

Sestito

Garrison - Bieksa

Hamhuis - Tanev

Edler - Weber

Luongo

Lack

Decent, I guess. I like the new aggressive forecheck and shoot-first mentality of Torts' system. Now to see if this team can put it all together...  :ph34r:

Smyth's days are long behind him.  There was never a chance of him getting the C.

Isn't he in and out of the lineup these days? Fantastic player in his prime, but a guy that's only going to play half the games isn't getting the C.

Isn't he in and out of the lineup these days? Fantastic player in his prime, but a guy that's only going to play half the games isn't getting the C.

Starting the year on the top line with Hall and Hemsky, but that's mainly because Nugent-Hopkins and Gagner are both injured and Eakins has this thing for spreading out vet talent amongst the lines.

He'll likely burn out pretty quickly and/or get injured though, so you're right that he'll likely not play all the games this season.

Sandro, since when do you figure Edler will be on the 3rd pairing?

Also we are in trouble if Kassian is the starting RW. I'd rather Booth get switched over like Burrows was.

Sandro, since when do you figure Edler will be on the 3rd pairing?

Also we are in trouble if Kassian is the starting RW. I'd rather Booth get switched over like Burrows was.

I'm not really arranging them as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pairings. There's a left handed shot and a right handed shot on each pairing.

Williams-Kopitar-Brown

Carter-Richards-Frattin

Lewis-Stoll-King

Nolan-Fraser-Clifford

Carcillo

Doughty-Greene

Voynov-Mitchell

Martinez/Muzzin-Regehr

Quick

Scrivens

Dayum.. Poor Toffoli getting cut too, love the guy. :(

I really think Canucks are going to do some real damage this year because people are not giving them enough credit.  

Only way that'll happen is if either 1) our powerplay starts to dominate like it did in 2010-11 again or 2) Luongo plays like 2007 Luongo.

I don't see any reason why both can't happen.  Luongo and the Sedins are both going to be in a mood to shut everyone up, and Torts, while overrated in my books, is still going to likely be an effective coach at the start.

I don't see any reason why both can't happen.  Luongo and the Sedins are both going to be in a mood to shut everyone up, and Torts, while overrated in my books, is still going to likely be an effective coach at the start.

But he plays a defensive style, so their powerplay will only stay the same.

Although I am disappointed with Corrado, Weber was very strong in the preseason, way more than you're giving him credit for.

His game vs. San Jose was an absolute nightmare, and I've heard stories of how he is an adventure of his own end before. I get the feeling that game is the Weber we will see more often than the game he had vs. Phoenix's AHL team.