2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

LOL ok

Oh, it's not true? Orpik fights Thornton when he challenges him the first time and it's done. Even if Orpik grapples and falls nothing happens beyond that. Did you watch the game? Or are you assuming Thornton punching him while he was on the ground the first time he "challenged" him? Because it wasn't, Thornton challenged him straight up and Orpik wouldn't fight him. Later in the game, the incident with Thornton happened.

Edited by Kyle

that 

Orpik doesn't have to fight because he landed a hit

Um, yes, you do in today's NHL if it's a star. I don't agree with it, but it's the way it goes. If Seidenberg destroys Neal, you don't think he will have to fight later in the game? 

Edited by Kyle

Um, yes, you do in today's NHL if it's a star. I don't agree with it, but it's the way it goes. If Seidenberg destroys Neal, you don't think he will have to fight later in the game? 

You don't have to do anything just cause it happens a lot doesn't mean you have to do it. 

You don't have to do anything just cause it happens a lot doesn't mean you have to do it. 

No you don't have to do anything, but when you don't, you have idiots like Thornton trying to chase you around for the rest of the night. If he drops the gloves, seat belts him and goes down it ends there. That's all I'm saying.

No you don't have to do anything, but when you don't, you have idiots like Thornton trying to chase you around for the rest of the night. If he drops the gloves, seat belts him and goes down it ends there. That's all I'm saying.

Or he fights thornton who is a fighter and ends in the same result. Orpik doesn't win in that situation 

Or he fights thornton who is a fighter and ends in the same result. Orpik doesn't win in that situation 

"seat belt and goes down", I never said go toe to toe. Like I said, Thornton deserves to be suspended 10+ and there's no excuse for what he did. But if Orpik doesn't keep his mitts glued on, this could've been avoided. Do I like players having to answer the bell for crushing star players? No, but it is what it is. 

Putting blame on Orpik is stupid. He delivers a big hit and he automatically has to fight? Yeah sure…haha wow

Yes, when you put a big hit on a star player you usually have to fight. Is it right that he has to and worry about Thornton all night? Nope. Again, it is what it is. Also I'm not "blaming" Orpik, I said 3 times that there's no excuse for what Thornton did. I said if Orpik dropped the gloves, that doesn't happen. It shouldn't have happened anyways, but still.

Edited by Kyle

All I know is if any middle of the road player laid a big hit on one of my star players (and I know most would) I'd want one of our bigger guys to challenge him to a fight. That's just how it is, is that how it should be? No. But it's their job as fighters to fire up the team, enforce, and protect their star players. That being said, fighters should be out of the game. Only fights that should be allowed are between guys that can actually play.

Edited by Kyle

What Thornton did was beyond stupid and he deserves to be suspended for awhile. But if Orpik mans up and drops the gloves, that doesn't happen.

lol fuck off with this shit. No one is forced to fight, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard lol. I'm against fighting 99.9 percent of the time because it's usually just a sideshow (Parros Vs Orr etc...) but to say that Orpik should have fought a goon is ridiculous. 

I agree to a certain extend but if Orpik doesn't want to go, than he doesn't have to go. I also don't think the player who hit the guy has to be the one to fight. Some guys are huge hitters and they duel them out, they aren't required to fight when people usually think one would. Also keep in mind the roles these guys play, yes Thornton's role is to fight, but Orpik's isn't and has more value on his team's bench than the penalty bench. One could argue Thornton's more valuable in the penalty box.

Then let an idiot like Thornton chase you around all night and put your team on the PP. That entire situation is all on Thornton.

Then let an idiot like Thornton chase you around all night and put your team on the PP. That entire situation is all on Thornton.

Or like even Don Cherry who is a huge proponent on fighting in the league stated, you wait and dish it back out on the scoreboard and on the hits sheet. If an opposing team injures one of your players and they refuse to fight, you are not supposed to take matters into your own hand and send them to the hospital or worse. People don't realize this but someones life could be at risk when you do that. You know how easy it would be for someone to turn around and sucker punch a player and that player fall on the ice and crack their head open on the ice? Safety is paramount in that regard.

At the end of the day Thornton should of started delivering big clean physical checks on the Pens stars...hell have your whole team start targeting Orpik with clean hits. At a certain point Orpik will get frustrated and throw the gloves...then you get your fight...

Get rid of the instigator rule and the NHL's injury problems actually go down by a significant number. Gretzky never got hit and it wasn't because he was that good, it was because Semenko would take your fuckin head off. Turn around and be a man Orpik, maybe I don't have any business watching hockey these days though in the hug it out era. Look at the NFL and it's high hitting rule, now you have a record number of blown out knees, they replaced one problem with another and it's the exact same thing in the NHL. You didn't see this shit back in the day, the Bertuzzi, McSorley, Thornton moves. You have guys that have been taught since shortly after they could walk to always protect their team, beat the shit out of people if they messed with your team and you put them on the ice with pussies who won't even tie up and wait for it to get broken up. I see both sides of the argument but I feel that the instigator rule goes and so do the dirty hits, the targeting of all-star players and the ever increasing amount of injuries from dirty plays. You'll never eliminate it but it'll drop.

Get rid of the instigator rule and the NHL's injury problems actually go down by a significant number. Gretzky never got hit and it wasn't because he was that good, it was because Semenko would take your fuckin head off. Turn around and be a man Orpik, maybe I don't have any business watching hockey these days though in the hug it out era. Look at the NFL and it's high hitting rule, now you have a record number of blown out knees, they replaced one problem with another and it's the exact same thing in the NHL. You didn't see this shit back in the day, the Bertuzzi, McSorley, Thornton moves. You have guys that have been taught since shortly after they could walk to always protect their team, beat the shit out of people if they messed with your team and you put them on the ice with pussies who won't even tie up and wait for it to get broken up. I see both sides of the argument but I feel that the instigator rule goes and so do the dirty hits, the targeting of all-star players and the ever increasing amount of injuries from dirty plays. You'll never eliminate it but it'll drop.

You want to get rid of these dirty hits? Start sending out 20, 40 game suspensions without pay. Hit them where it really hurts.

I agree somewhat, but clean hits are clean hits, no one has to defend themselves for hitting another player clean, unless he has to buckle down and wait for an incoming hit himself. Devise is right, if Thornton wanted real damage give him Orpik something that has lasting effect, like beating them on the scoreboard and decreasing their playoff chances.

Flyers is right though, fi I was Shanaban I would be dishing out huge fines and suspensions to get these guys to learn their lessons. If they don't like that and file claims through the NHLPA, remind them that players are having issues in retirement with memory loss. The see guys just don't get it. This isn't the NFL, you can hit but you can't ruin a guy and expect him to bounce up right away.

lol fuck off with this shit. No one is forced to fight, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard lol. I'm against fighting 99.9 percent of the time because it's usually just a sideshow (Parros Vs Orr etc...) but to say that Orpik should have fought a goon is ridiculous. 

It's not really ridiculous at all.

Dwight King fights Crombeen after he hurt Pietrangelo on a clean hit. Dwight King NEVER fights.

Clean hit by Edler on Hall, being challenged to fight.

I'm sure you think that was clean Tyler, so Chara goes to fight Emelin after a hit on one of their stars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYnbkW6bDUg

Got match penalty, but reversed because it was obviously not head contact. People still trying to fight Belov for his hit on their captain and star.

There's so many fucking examples of this happening, it happens nearly every. single. time. Unless it's a star on star hit.

Hit on star and fight.

Pull your head out of your ass you Habs homer, this happens in every single time a star player is hit. Orpik should know what's coming, you're going to get followed around the ice all night until you fight. Should he have to worry about that dumbass thing Thornton did? Hell no, but he should know that guys will be gunning for him all night until he answers the bell. That's the way it is, that's the way it always will be. Does he have to drop the gloves and fight? Obviously not, but if he does it clears the air and nothing escalates like it does in that game. Neal's knee to Marchand's head likely doesn't happen and nether does Orpik getting cheap shotted (understatement) by Thornton.

Edited by Kyle