NA Semi-Finals, GM 5: Toronto vs. Calgary

JardyB10

Just now, Kendrick said:

Oh no that comment was geared to ones saying "I told you so" or "Shoulda, coulda, woulda". I find it funny because if their foresight was as accurate as their hindsight, why are they commenting from positions of not making the postseason? One can be said for those who burn those FA bridges.

Eh, I'd like to believe no one really means what they are saying and hold nothing against anyone...  just a bunch of people trying to have some fun with the sport they love.

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

Eh, I'd like to believe no one really means what they are saying and hold nothing against anyone...  just a bunch of people trying to have some fun with the sport they love.

Well I would hope not, otherwise they got some crazy ideas on how to talk to pending FA's.

28 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Oh no that comment was geared to ones saying "I told you so" or "Shoulda, coulda, woulda". I find it funny because if their foresight was as accurate as their hindsight, why are they commenting from positions of not making the postseason? One can be said for those who burn those FA bridges.

Whose saying that?

Hard battles in this series, for sure. I never thought it would come this way, but it's great to get it done early. :)

Velvet can eat it.

Toronto depth shined through a bit in this series. Didn't need Parechkin or Molholt as much as the series prior. Good to see.

Clegane was godly. CleGOD, amirite?

GG!

@Kendrick I think it's mostly some people don't really understand the entire argument that signing one season deals to the best team you think is going to win on paper is FA is always the best way to even go about winning a Cup that season. 

I'm not saying I didn't agree with your guys decisions, because at the end of the day I can see the argument from a lot of different perspectives and truth be told I thought the best chance we had this series was to take it to seven games. However I still thought it was silly that you guys all did one season contracts. Sure before the season has started looking at 6 teams all in similar positions so agreeing to pick one team to go to to push them over the edge looks great. But then you sign. Then then every single team you didn't sign with isn't sitting still. Teams improve, they change, and before you know it by the time playoffs roll around the team that looked like it had a 90% chance of winning in Calgary dropped to probably a 70% chance. Sure those odds are still good, but are they good enough that they are worth trying this all over again next season?

From my view, Cups are hard to win and I don't think so highly of myself that I somehow need an epic run where I win multiple Cups in a row. I mean look at Toronto. Sure pieces were added late, but they are only on the verge of a Fourpeat because of the core they built to be competitive season after season. Which minus a few pieces added in FA in a season or two, is how most players get Cups on teams. You latch yourself onto one of the 3-4 teams trending up, and stay there long enough to give them a chance to take you all the way. Now you don't have to do that, and I know some of you guys still might not and that is also perfectly fine.

But your always going to be making your decisions blind. Almost all the GM's wait until AFTER FA to make any serious decisions, especially when there is this many FA's because so much of what your team can and can't do depends on that. So your never going to have the full outlook of the league when you make your FA decisions, so thinking your always going to come out with the best chance to win isn't really true. No matter what you do really, even if you stick with a team. At least if you stick with a team, from my viewpoint anyway, you can have fun with a good group of members whilst trying to win. 

Anyway, I'm still a bit stunned by this. Calgary was good enough to beat us, much less see the series go longer. We stole a couple of games we probably shouldn't of, and won the couple of games I thought we could of in the series. Good try Calgary and I wish the pending FA's and Eagles the best of the luck going forward. Although I will say, if Toronto can 4peat it'll be pretty cool to be apart of that, even if only barely. :P 

Edited by Mr. Power

59 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

@Kendrick I think it's mostly some people don't really understand the entire argument that signing one season deals to the best team you think is going to win on paper is FA is always the best way to even go about winning a Cup that season. 

I'm not saying I didn't agree with your guys decisions, because at the end of the day I can see the argument from a lot of different perspectives and truth be told I thought the best chance we had this series was to take it to seven games. However I still thought it was silly that you guys all did one season contracts. Sure before the season has started looking at 6 teams all in similar positions so agreeing to pick one team to go to to push them over the edge looks great. But then you sign. Then then every single team you didn't sign with isn't sitting still. Teams improve, they change, and before you know it by the time playoffs roll around the team that looked like it had a 90% chance of winning in Calgary dropped to probably a 70% chance. Sure those odds are still good, but are they good enough that they are worth trying this all over again next season?

From my view, Cups are hard to win and I don't think so highly of myself that I somehow need an epic run where I win multiple Cups in a row. I mean look at Toronto. Sure pieces were added late, but they are only on the verge of a Fourpeat because of the core they built to be competitive season after season. Which minus a few pieces added in FA in a season or two, is how most players get Cups on teams. You latch yourself onto one of the 3-4 teams trending up, and stay there long enough to give them a chance to take you all the way. Now you don't have to do that, and I know some of you guys still might not and that is also perfectly fine.

But your always going to be making your decisions blind. Almost all the GM's wait until AFTER FA to make any serious decisions, especially when there is this many FA's because so much of what your team can and can't do depends on that. So your never going to have the full outlook of the league when you make your FA decisions, so thinking your always going to come out with the best chance to win isn't really true. No matter what you do really, even if you stick with a team. At least if you stick with a team, from my viewpoint anyway, you can have fun with a good group of members whilst trying to win. 

Anyway, I'm still a bit stunned by this. Calgary was good enough to beat us, much less see the series go longer. We stole a couple of games we probably shouldn't of, and won the couple of games I thought we could of in the series. Good try Calgary and I wish the pending FA's and Eagles the best of the luck going forward. Although I will say, if Toronto can 4peat it'll be pretty cool to be apart of that, even if only barely. :P 

So what your basically saying is that despite me openly saying I signed one year contracts to chase a cup because being here from S1 and not being satisfied with my cup total is stupid. Loyalty got me know where and your little bullshit reason of staying with a team is great and all, but I've done that and it got me nowhere. So what exactly is this master formula you claim to have full proofed on how to get cups? I did what I had to do, if those GM's want to burn bridges with hindsight related comments they can go right ahead, but I'll just start shit talking them until they give up. You know one of the issues is GM's think they are so high that they can just voice their opinions on things and not have it blow up in their face. That's great and all but doesn't bode will in free agency (which contrary to your post) does matter a bit.

30 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

So what your basically saying is that despite me openly saying I signed one year contracts to chase a cup because being here from S1 and not being satisfied with my cup total is stupid. Loyalty got me know where and your little bullshit reason of staying with a team is great and all, but I've done that and it got me nowhere. So what exactly is this master formula you claim to have full proofed on how to get cups? I did what I had to do, if those GM's want to burn bridges with hindsight related comments they can go right ahead, but I'll just start shit talking them until they give up. You know one of the issues is GM's think they are so high that they can just voice their opinions on things and not have it blow up in their face. That's great and all but doesn't bode will in free agency (which contrary to your post) does matter a bit.

Where did you get any of that from my post? Any of it? I'm allowed to share a different opinion than you. Nowhere do I lord that opinion around highly. Want me to BOLD statements from my own post that you don't feel like reading? I state I agreed with your decision in the off-season in the sense that I thought Calgary as constructed gave you the best chance to win the Cup. I state that I don't think highly of myself enough to go out and win Cups. So the comment about me finding some winning formula? Who said I did? Where, when? Stop putting words in my mouth because somehow you think your being attacked. Your not being attacked. 

There are multiple strategies any of which could win you a Cup. But none of which guarantees you anything. I rarely have any personal success in the league and have had some team success yet you don't hear me complaining or moaning or bitching. AND NEITHER ARE YOU FOR THAT MATTER. But you act like any post that is of a different opinion is someone trying to shame you for doing what you did. You did what you did, you couldn't get the results and that sucks. Just like I'm sure it's going to suck when NY competes and doesn't get it done, or for any team. But it's not like you've won ZERO cups in your tenure so don't make it out like you've had no success at all. 

And lastly, this needs to be said.  "You know one of the issues is GM's think they are so high that they can just voice their opinions on things and not have it blow up in their face." It has nothing to do with being a GM. I'VE ALWAYS STATED MY OPINION ON THIS BOARD. ALWAYS. WHETHER GM, WHETHER BOG, WHETHER A NEWB, WHETHER ON A PODCAST. I don't require anyone to like, agree or dislike my opinion. But it blowing up in my face? What blowing up? Did I ever say at any point in time that there is only one way to win a cup? No I didn't, so get off your damn soap box and start treating like this what is really happening. A bunch of people on a sim league are randomly discussing shit. The only shit talking is the attempts you CONTINUALLY try to stir up in me and I honestly get sick and tired of it, especially since all you do is play the defended wounded type acting like we harass you. Just like Higgins with his bullshit in the BoG when EVERYBODY was discussing what type of punishment. You guys treat everything like it's some collected witch hunt because sometimes people share opinions. OMG DON'T SHARE AN OPINION WITH SOMEONE ELSE, THATS BLASPHEMY! 

Speaking of opinions, how many times do we have to say that we respect you as a member before you get that we think that too? Just because we don't agree on everything doesn't mean it's an attack or a lack of respect. 

Edited by Mr. Power

1 minute ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

imagine if Molholt drafted me and not blacker 3rd overall too :ph34r:

VHL S50, Game 7

Shawn Muller (DAV) for Tripping (Minor) at 2:09

And then 10 seconds later the opponent scores and takes a cup. So, Toronto wouldn't have even won a cup in S48. 

• Admin
10 hours ago, Kendrick said:

Yeah but you signed 20 years after FA started haha

I needed some alone time after being forced into 2 seasons of Quebec.

Its OK, there is time to make amends. This off-season, follow me.