Remove VHLM Seasons from your Career Clock

Molholt

I've definitely proposed this before, but I'll do it one more time - remove VHLM seasons from your career clock. If you're the type of player in the VHL who earns every TPE available, had a ton of carryover and never takes a week off, this one is not for you. Those players retire at the deadline, or the beginning of a season and after one VHLM season they are ready to jump to the VHL, which is when their career clock begins to count down. Some players, however, are not quite ready for that moment. Those players have two options, stay in the VHLM and develop, until they are VHL ready, while their career clock counts down, or, they can come up earlier than intended and be a lesser rookie due to their TPE totals. World B. Free is a good example here, as he was well under the VHLM TPE cap, yet he did not want to waste a season of his career in the minor leagues so he asked me to call him to the VHL early. I did and it has worked out good for his career, but at the end of the day, he should be able to come to the VHL when he is properly prepared and ready to do so.

My proposal is simple, set a higher number on the amount of seasons a player can spend in the VHLM, say, 4 seasons (this works two-fold, because it also stops inactives from staying in the VHLM forever and ruins Sterling's chances of using a second player as a VHLM loophole for an entire career) and then lift VHLM seasons from the career clock entirely. Once a player hits or passes the VHLM TPE cap, then he would go into the VHL and his career would begin. I'm okay with either option in terms of draft year, but I would also have the player be draft eligible once they pass that threshold, however this isn't as important, so if you want to have the draft year be the season after they create, that is fine as well. If you allow the VHLM to not count against the career clock, you allow players to progress at their own rate and also to not feel like missing a week of TPE is the end of the world, or even an entire season. This lets the people who earn TPE at a slower rate to not feel like they have to enter the VHL with less TPE so as to not lose VHL career years. It also lets people who create and then have something come up and go inactive for an entire season to not have to start over and waste all of their previous TPE, so long as they were under the VHLM cap and haven't been gone for 4 seasons, they could pick up right where they left off. 

This is sort of how the SBA's NCAA system works and how I had my minor leagues setup in the TCBL as well. I just think that we should encourage our players in the minors to progress at their own rate, within reason, and figure things out at their pace without forcing them into this weird area where they either need to earn X amount of TPE or they will be way behind in their career or they'll miss out on a VHL season by staying down an extra season in the VHLM to be on a comparable level to other rookies who have carryover, work harder, etc. This lets them at least enter the VHL on even footing and hopefully by then they'll be comfortable with the league and active enough to maintain the pace with everyone else. If you have ideas for the VHL, send them my way and I'll write about them, berating you and telling you why they are awful. 

--- this is also a test of magazine readership versus forum articles, because I don't think anyone pays nearly enough attention to the mag. This article was in Edition 304 of the VHL Magazine.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Molholt said:

I don't think anyone pays nearly enough attention to the mag.

yup

And I don't hate this idea. Definitely against the draft-when-ready idea since that would make drafts really shallow. otherwise, not bad.

9 minutes ago, Victor said:

Definitely against the draft-when-ready idea since that would make drafts really shallow. otherwise, not bad.

To add to this, it takes some of the skill out of drafting, since any 200 TPE player is already a slam dunk. Much of the fun of drafting is trying to dig for steals and busts.

"Why haven't we done this already?" Because it's a big scary change, that's why. :P And big scary changes take effort and stuff. So I guess let's hop to it.

The change I'd maybe make to your proposal would be to give a player 1-3 free VHLM seasons from their draft date to get to the VHL, rather than all the time they want, because I feel like there should still be some push to get them earning TPE and into the VHL. But that's a small detail.

Can anyone find a reason why we maybe should NOT do this? The only negatives I can think of are kind of trivial and stupid.

1 minute ago, JardyB10 said:

To add to this, it takes some of the skill out of drafting, since any 200 TPE player is already a slam dunk. Much of the fun of drafting is trying to dig for steals and busts.

"Why haven't we done this already?" Because it's a big scary change, that's why. :P And big scary changes take effort and stuff. So I guess let's hop to it.

The change I'd maybe make to your proposal would be to give a player 1-3 free VHLM seasons from their draft date to get to the VHL, rather than all the time they want, because I feel like there should still be some push to get them earning TPE and into the VHL. But that's a small detail.

Can anyone find a reason why we maybe should NOT do this? The only negatives I can think of are kind of trivial and stupid.

I said a 4 season window, but I'm fine with 3 also. 

• Admin
1 minute ago, JardyB10 said:

new members should be punished for not earning enough TPE early on

42 minutes ago, Victor said:

I am drunk tbf

good

38 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

you've been hanging out with @stevo already in Toronto eh. Ive never seen that guy sober

even better

38 minutes ago, Victor said:

this is standard Monday night down here

darn right

The only thing I don't like is that someone can manipulate it to get themselves to an even better position going into their rookie season. For example, lets say I finish this season at 175 TPE and I decide to stay down. I could just go holy shit fucking bananas insane after the new season starts and end up drafted at like 300 TPE before going on to be the greatest rookie since Stolzy.

I would say that a nice compromise would be that you still get depreciation when intended, since your player would still be aging while they go through the minors. The theoretical 4th season would just be 7% again though. This would reduce the likelihood of the hard hitting TPE whores from wanting to jack off for part of a season in order to min-max their time/TPE ratio.

11 minutes ago, Jericho said:

The only thing I don't like is that someone can manipulate it to get themselves to an even better position going into their rookie season. For example, lets say I finish this season at 175 TPE and I decide to stay down. I could just go holy shit fucking bananas insane after the new season starts and end up drafted at like 300 TPE before going on to be the greatest rookie since Stolzy.

I would say that a nice compromise would be that you still get depreciation when intended, since your player would still be aging while they go through the minors. The theoretical 4th season would just be 7% again though. This would reduce the likelihood of the hard hitting TPE whores from wanting to jack off for part of a season in order to min-max their time/TPE ratio.

Whoa 300 tpe? So, exactly like what can happen now? 

Lee King Snatch and Shankly. 

Just now, Molholt said:

Whoa 300 tpe? So, exactly like what can happen now? 

Lee King Snatch and Shankly. 

or more TPE, or more people. Imagine having like 12 dudes doing that.

We need something to keep that noise in check.

8 minutes ago, Jericho said:

or more TPE, or more people. Imagine having like 12 dudes doing that.

We need something to keep that noise in check.

You can do that now... you can get 175 tpe in the half season after the deadline and then blow past it in your first season...

4 minutes ago, Molholt said:

You can do that now... you can get 175 tpe in the half season after the deadline and then blow past it in your first season...

Yes, and they could get EVEN more. look at Max Power this season as an example. That one kind of happened by accident, but imagine if he could get a 9th season in.

Now imagine all the TPE whores doing the same thing

3 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Yes, and they could get EVEN more. look at Max Power this season as an example. That one kind of happened by accident, but imagine if he could get a 9th season in.

Now imagine all the TPE whores doing the same thing

I don't understand what you think will happen.. there is still a cap.